liquor in room

2martinis

I have been reading lots of posts of people having their vodka in their rooms and bringing their on booze on board. Is it easy to bring liquor on board and how did you do it. I know other cruise lines are terribly strict about this. We would love to bring our own with us. thanks

You really can't bring booze. At least on Magica. Well, you might be able to the first day. But, after every port, you have to go through the x-ray machine, and they take the booze from you and give it to you 6pm the last day at sea. Even if you buy booze at the duty free store on board, they give it to you the last day. I have no idea how people sneak it on! I tried! Didn't work. Had to wait until last day.

This is easily done, lot's of posts here about it. You have to wade through all the moralistic preaching to figure it out though. A little common sense and it's no issue.

All my past cruise experience I have bought liquor on shore at the ports either for gifts or use on board. Always had it in my backpack wrapped in t-shirt or something so it doesn't break. Never been a problem...went right through and never searched or asked. Now I did see people that had liquor or wine transport boxes that were getting stopped. So don't be obvious about it.

I had a bottle of tequila wrapped in a towel and in a sarong. The x-ray machine picked it right up. The guy showed it to me on the screen. Lots of people were having it taken. i have no idea how you would solve that. Every person had to put it in the x-ray thing!

In your checked baggage would work!

I have been reading lots of posts of people having their vodka in their rooms and bringing their on booze on board. Is it easy to bring liquor on board and how did you do it. I know other cruise lines are terribly strict about this. We would love to bring our own with us. thanks

Hi there...just back yesterday from the Magica. We brought rum and rye with us in our checked baggage...no problem. At first stop we took along a gym bag and towels...brought back six cans of beer. Put them on the bottom, then towells...than 6 cans of pop...good to have as it is expensive on board. We had no problem. The next stop we brought back a bottle of Baileys...It was found on xray machine...told to proceed to Housekeeping...the next person, and the first fellow followed us to be sure we went. Second fellow kept asking do you have wine...and we kept saying no...it was liquor. He winked and told us to get going. As you can bring your own wine bottle to the dining room...I think wine is ok to bring. Next day we brought more beer..no problem. I think it really is all in who is working that day, because everything shows on the machines. We were not terribly gready by bringing on excess...and we also bought lots of their drinks. Last year we were on the Mediteranea and had no problem either. Neither trip did we see anyone stopped...and spoke to lots of people who brought it on. Good luck.

We packed 4 bottles of wine in our checked bags for in room consumption and had no issue getting them on. Just packed 2 in one suitcase and 2 in the other. Enjoyed them in the room and filled our glasses before we left our room for enjoyment in the wine bar.

Never tried sneaking any in from port though.

Did buy 10 bottles of liquor (Dodel) in Cozumel, checked them with housekeeping and got them back last night. Got them into the US without a glance by customs. We are set for Dobel until next year!! Can't get it in the states. :)

As long as you're discrete about it they will let usually it pass. If they are being strict they can easily see it in the x-ray. They also tend to ignore smaller bottles. They also don't care much about cans. If you're desperate you can always transfer it to a water bottle, but at some point you have to ask how much trouble is it really worth.

We were on the Costa Atlantica in Feb of 2007 and brought booze on board in our check in suit cases with no problem.

I would suggest just using a little common sence when doing so don't put all of the booze in one suit case wrap it up in a towel or somthing.

As far as buying booze in the ports of call, we spoke to lots of people that bought booze and brought it aboard with no problem however you do have to put your carry on threw a xray machine so it really depends on who is working security and how much they inforce Costa policys.

Good Luck

Brian,

Sailed on the Allegra last year and had no problem buying booze at t he ship's store and taking it to the room. The odd thing was, in many ways, the liquor in the ship's store sold for less than on shore.

Also had no problem bringing beer in cans from shore.

Enjoy your trip,

Fishfinder

On our two Costa Cruises (Fortuna & Classica) we have purchased bottles from the duty free shop on board (excellent prices as well) and you are allowed to take them back to your room.

On the Fortuna we had no cans (mixers) so we purchased some at the first port of call. On Classica we took cans with us.

Hopefully it will be the same on Costa Victoria in October and Costa Europa next February!

The more we cruise the wiser we get! We just got back from the Caribbean Princess and they will tell you upfront it's ok to bring one bottle of wine and one bottle of champagne per person. We always bring our own soda and water bottles, never a problem on any ship. We did manage to get a bottle of Baileys back on board from St. Maarten. Hubby wore shorts with BIG pockets, you know the pockets that hang lower down by the knee. He put the bottle in there, no problem. That being said, we also were able to wrap wine, etc...in bubble wrap then in clothing in the suitcases and they were just fine on arrival. You have to do that on the flights, can't carry wine onboard anymore. I say, go for it, all they can do is take it and give it to you at the end of the cruise.

I have read so many various scenarios.

Can anyone tell me, for sure, if you can purchase liquor on board and bring it back to your cabin for personal consumption?

Thanks. I refer to the Magica.

• 1 month later...

In St Lucia we brought rum on board after an excursion. The incident was Hilarious, my wife wrapped it up in a blanket and simulated a pregnancy, security didnt look twice at us. The bottle of Blackwood Rum was secured on a catameran ride, the bartenders just gave it to me after I had been tipping them that afternoon.

• 1 month later...

On some cruise lines you can order liquor ahead of time from them to be in your cabin on arrival. It is not at duty free prices, but does save a lot of hassle. Does Costa do this

You can order wines and champagne ahead, but not beer or spirits:)

Archived