The Most Missed....

The last ship I sailed that exhibited that national feeling was the Stella Solaris with it's all Greek crew.

I sailed out of Galveston in 1979 on the Stella Solaris and it was fascinating watching the all-Greek crew. The dining room had a mixture of nationalities but overall it was quite a thorough Greek flavour and was beautifully decorated with art pieces of sculptures and paintings.

As you may remember, upon disembarkation at the top of the gangway, we walked past the maitre d' who stood straight and proud at the "tip" box. We were to put our gratuities into an envelope and insert it in the box so that, accordingly to Greek maritime union laws, every crew member could share equally in the tips by position filled.

I had a $100 bill in my tip envelope so it looked quite meager when I dropped it in the box. The passenger behind me had a huge fat envelope which he made quite a show of stuffing into the box. All of us knew it was full of $1s - who did he think he was kidding? He probably stiffed the crew good while performing his act of pseudo-generosity.

Ruby

We did one cruise on the Enchanted Seas of Commodore Cruise Line out of NOLA. It was the friendliest crew and passenger compliment we ever sailed with.

I remember the tip box on the Stella Solaris. I also remember the fresh made potato chips at the bar.

• 1 year later...

For me it has to be the Wind Song (hence my avatar). I actually cried when I heard it had gone. I know they still have the Wind Star and Wind Spirit but it is not quite the same.

The combination of Wind Song, Captain Chris Turner and the Greek islands is an experience I will never forget. Chris Turner always made the very most of that magnificent ship.

Also, during a Med cruise, the Wind Song and Wind Spirit left port at about the same time (we on the Wind Song actually left first). We waited just outside the port for the Wind Spirit to leave port. The 2 ships then raised their magnificent sails and did a sort of dance around each other whilst playing Andrea Bocelli/Sarah Brightman's 'Time to say goodbye'. I think it was one of the emotional moments of my life. In fact, I have tears in my eyes as I type this.

I sailed on the Norway and loved the old world feel to the ship, although the day we were in St. Thomas, I spent 6 hrs stuck in an elevator between floors with a door that would not budge. They were open about 6 inches so I was able to chat with the folks on 2 decks as I was between floors. Phone in the elevator didn't work either, so purser's desk didn't know where to look for me.

Better Half would vote for the S.S. United States and from what I've been told, she was quite the ship.

• 2 weeks later...

I would have to say it's the RCCL "Nordic Prince". This was actually my second and third cruise ship but it was the one I felt the most "at home" in/on. It wasn't too big, like the "Majesty of the Seas" so I didn't get lost from place to place! I really miss the smaller ships where I didn't feel like I was just a cabin number and not a person. I'll take a smaller ship anyday of the week! You were my Prince! I truly miss you! :(

• 4 months later...

The S.S. Norway with out a doubt. We were a family of 5 with my mother along for the ride. My father had just passed away. We all had the most wonderful time aboard the ship. The crew was wonderful. Cruise director John Anderson was a lot of fun. My kids still talk about the personal service while dining on the ship. In 2008 my family sailed on the NCL Spirit. Although the Spirit was a wonderful ship in her own right. We missed the history and splendor of the Norway.

Which ship do I miss the most - The Normandie.

Which ship that I've been ON do I miss the most?

Queen Elizabeth

United States

Ile de France (at the end of her life)

France/Norway

Two things:

I've noticed that the vast majority of ships named in this thread are classic ocean liners. That says a lot about today's hotel-on-a-hull ships, doesn't it?

Also, I was in New York City and watched the Statendam arrive on her maiden voyage during the 1950s.

Of course, that was the last generation Statendam. We sailed on her once in the early 70's. Over Christmas we sailed on the current Statendam, for the second time.

The old liners certainly had their appeal and charm, but not necessarily the nicest cabins. My experience on those old ships is limited but my favorite by far is the old Rotterdam with its great movie theater and the Ritz Night Club. At the time I though our inside, upper and lower bunk cabin was great. That wouldn't fly these days.

We have fond memories from Sitmar.

tvaud: Yes, I have had that drink called "Lampadina"!! It was on the old Dawn Princess. Anyone know the recipe?

An officer on the Holiday, now gone to another ship, used to work on Fairwind.(even was married an Aussie gal) he too loved the Lampadina. recipe...shot of creme de cocoa, 1/2-ish shot vodka..whip/beat heavy cream and have ready...warm and flame stirred liquor till u see blue flame...spoon out the flame with the cream..Drank many a dem good drinks..used to make them in my Kosts Boda "Caffe'Glas" cups..as they need a sturdy heat friendly glas..also I like a King Alphonse. Used to sail Sitmar a lot, and even went to Italy (Genoa) to visit a 1st purser

What ship that is now gone do you miss the most? It can be any ship from any line.

I miss Holland America's Westerdam (the one previous to the current one). She was a classically beautiful ship and had a great movie theater on one of the upper decks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

While there are a number of ships (and lines) no longer sailing, I would have to say the ship and line I miss the most, as they were the most memerable were the "Oceanic" and the Home Lines. More generically, I really miss the ethnic atmosphere/cuisine/personality of all of the foreign "ocean liner" ships/lines. IE: Italain Line, French Line, Cunard, Line Greek Line, HAL (earlier) and Swedish American line. Now, they all seem to be so homoginized, there is no truly unique personality/atmosphere on any line, and I think that's what I miss most of all.

The ships I miss the most are the Michelangelo, Raffaello and the Norway. My father worked for the Italian Line when I was a child and grew up on those beautiful Italian Liners. Traveled several times to Italy in first class no less. Also, whenever the ships were in New York and my father had to manage the sailing, my sister and I were always with him.

I sailed twice on the Norway in 1988 and totally loved her. She had those classic lines of the transatlantic cruisers of the 60's.

My sister recently visited (she's a travel agent) one of the more recent 150,000+ ton ships and remarked how beautiful they were and when inside, you don't even feel like you're on a ship. I responded that I probably wouldn't want to sail on one then because I WANT to feel like I'm on a ship...that's why I go on a cruise! Otherwise, what's the point???

I miss my old friends...Michelangelo, Raffaello, Leonardo da Vinci, Cristofero Colombo and Guglielmo Marconi!

• 3 months later...

My most missed ship would be Home Lines - Doric. I think because it was my first cruise (1976) and the one that really set my love for cruising. I miss the old indoor pool way down under. And who doesn't miss the Italain crew, it was so much fun. The food, the music, the attention from the staff. But life goes on....

Archived