The Most Missed....

My family loved the elegance of the Norway. We sailed her 3 times and the last was because we knew she was soon to be retired. I loved the wooden floored decks and spent many hours walking the decks where you could walk all around the ship. My daughter was a teenager on this ship and has so many memories of the fun she and her friend had making new friends. Those were definitely the good old days. :o

• 10 months later...

For me it would be any of the Windjammer sailing tall ships. Loved those cruises: such fun, so casual, such great people. Altho I also miss the Columbia Queen, Caribe I and the Seabreeze. But so far, nothing has been comparable to a Windjammer tall ship cruise. Going to try Arabella in the fall....

Sailor JM

when she was owned by Sitmar. Lovely old ship.:D

Yep, me too, Fairstar was my favorite in the Sitmar days before Carnival/P & O took over.

I also loved the Cathay, she was a beautiful little passenger cargo ship (320 pax), great fun, great service and atmosphere.

Jenny

Can you tell me where the Fairsky sailed from? I'm not sure if I was on it or the Fairsea. Thanks.

Both the Fairsea and Fairwind sailed the Caribbean and Pacific coast. The Fairsea usually had the SF-Alaska run and LA-Mexico. Really miss the personalized service by those Italians - no one could run a dining room better!:) We were on the Fairwind in November 78-79? when she caught fire; 30 staterooms damaged but no injuries. We had four seatings in the one remaining dining room and it took us 4 days to get back to Ft. Lauderdale. Camped out on the decks. While the rooms were small, the activities made up for it. Glad our first cruising experience was with Sitmar !

• 1 month later...

For us also the NORWAY...........sailed her twice. So sad to hear about the fire and then the ultimate retirement.

The days of the waiters and the "Baked Alaska" what a dance line.

Sailed with our daughter the first time and then with old neighbors and friends.

What a classy ship.

Would still sail her today.......

Oh I always wanted to sail on the Rotterdam

I miss the World Explorer: "Universe" sailed her to Alaska. I wish she or company were still around. They also did semester at sea. It was an old freighter refited into cruise ship

Mary

• 9 months later...

For me its Sitmars Fairwind, my very first cruise ever and the reason I still cruise today. My parents took me on a 10 day Christmas cruise in 1978, and then the 14 day Christmas cruise thru the canal the following year. Ive been hooked ever since. If anyone is interested, I still have the MDR menus (most of em anyway ) from that cruise. No cruise since has matched the food.

For me its Sitmars Fairwind, my very first cruise ever and the reason I still cruise today. My parents took me on a 10 day Christmas cruise in 1978, and then the 14 day Christmas cruise thru the canal the following year. Ive been hooked ever since. If anyone is interested, I still have the MDR menus (most of em anyway ) from that cruise. No cruise since has matched the food.

I was just thinking back with pleasure on our Sitmar cruises. They weren't our first but they were the first cruises on which we took our daughters. We sailed the Fairwind three times and the Fairsky to Alaska once. Some of their meals were the most memorable of our long cruise history. Wonderful times traveling with our kids.

The Song of Norway (before the addition) and in general the Cruise ships of the 1970's when size didn't matter. When looking at the Song of Norway and the Cunard Countess, two of the cruises we did in the 1970's they seem like large motor yachts when compared to today's floating high rise condos.

• 3 weeks later...
Italians dressed in white coats taking you to your cabin upon boarding. White gloves to serve dinner continental style. the dinner chimes and anniouncement

My heart was broken when Sitmar was bought by Princess. i sailed on the Fairwind many times and can even remember my cabin numbers. I met my husband on the Fairwind. Even though our marriage didnt last my love of cruising is still going strong. The other ships I truely miss are the Song of America (RCCL), the Zenith and Horizon (Celebrity)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Today is the 55th anniversary of the sinking of the "Andrea Doria". I was 6 yrs old. We saw my grandparents off out of NY on their trip to Italy, in early July. On the retuurn voyage, the ship sank. They were supposed to return on it in early Oct , but were transfered to the "Cristoforo Columbo".

• 6 months later...

I know this thread is old and I happened to stumble on it by accident, but have to say that I miss the SS NORWAY the most. There was nothing like her on the high seas, and never will be again. So sad that she had such a tragic ending. I miss the grand old days of cruising, especially on the NORWAY.

Mine would have to be the Song of Flower. Only 180 pax, all-inclusive and it had that private yacht feel. She was able to get into small ports. All the crew and staff were extremely friendly and would do anything for you. I was on her last sailing. She is my favorite ship.

She's still around as LE Diamant for Compagnie du Ponant Yacht Cruises.

Archived