Will You Now Smuggle?

StuartLittle

Yes I read it, but it hasn't happened yet. I watched the entire procedure in Long Beach last month, and no suitcases were opened, they brought dogs down around all the suitcases lined up, and when they didn't trigger a dog response, they were loaded on carts, and taken on board to be delivered to cabins.

I have sailed enough, and know alot of people who sail year long, and they have never gotten in taken away. I was just on paradise 3 weeks ago.

But if it is taken, then it will be taken.

Again, you obviously didn't read the thread, it HAS happened... VERY recently, and the new policy was posted yesterday... so obviously they have started cracking down. They have ALWAYS done random checks on suitcases, and they go through security, when you aren't there...what you witnessed was CUSTOMS, not security...

The policy wasn't in effect 3 weeks ago.

It's been reported that they've done this at one port and have reported that some bags have been checked. I have seen nothing that they're checking all bags at all ports.

And as it was stated.........if it's taken then it's taken. No big loss.

This sucks....leave the boards for a few days and come back to find this. Oh well.

GoinCruisin: Do still have the number/website for the company that delivers to the cabins handy??? Didn't have a need to write it down before! TIA

This sucks....leave the boards for a few days and come back to find this. Oh well.

GoinCruisin: Do still have the number/website for the company that delivers to the cabins handy??? Didn't have a need to write it down before! TIA

There are several of them... you can just search on bon voyage gifts... but they won't do beer, liquor, etc any longer. The ones I have seen don't have such great prices on gifts either... I usually just go through Carnival.

It's been reported that they've done this at one port and have reported that some bags have been checked. I have seen nothing that they're checking all bags at all ports.

And as it was stated.........if it's taken then it's taken. No big loss.

Yeah, and it happened only days before they changed the policy... so we'll see. Perhaps for once Carnival will enforce the rules, perhaps they won't. Maybe if anything, they will deter the people that take things to the extreme by bringing on coolers and cases of beverages. THOSE are the ones that ruin it for everyone else... but Carnival needs to be clear. Reasonable is not a term that everyone understands obviously.

Okay, my bags are all packed, including my bottles of wine. I leave tomorrow for a cruise on Saturday. The contract I have in my possession & my printed ticket booklet say I am not violating any rules.

I am NOT going to upack my suitcases to dig out the carefully protected wine. And for the record, this is wine that is not available onboard. I have 1 French Pinot Noir at 750 ml (in a cardboard container, French Rabbit) and 1 box @ 3L. Don't scoff, it's a fantastic Australian Reisling that I love. I purposely buy wine in a box because it is safer to fly with then a bottle plus it weighs less. So I have the equivalent of 5 bottles of wine for 2 adults on an 8 day cruise. I don't feel that is excessive at all.

If I was not a regular here on Cruise Critic I would not have known about the policy change at all. Am I wrong to be irritated that my checked luggage might be dug through and my wine might be confiscated?

:mad:

~fly

Okay, my bags are all packed, including my bottles of wine. I leave tomorrow for a cruise on Saturday. The contract I have in my possession & my printed ticket booklet say I am not violating any rules.

I am NOT going to upack my suitcases to dig out the carefully protected wine. And for the record, this is wine that is not available onboard. I have 1 French Pinot Noir at 750 ml (in a cardboard container, French Rabbit) and 1 box @ 3L. Don't scoff, it's a fantastic Australian Reisling that I love. I purposely buy wine in a box because it is safer to fly with then a bottle plus it weighs less. So I have the equivalent of 5 bottles of wine for 2 adults on an 8 day cruise. I don't feel that is excessive at all.

If I was not a regular here on Cruise Critic I would not have known about the policy change at all. Am I wrong to be irritated that my checked luggage might be dug through and my wine might be confiscated?

:mad:

~fly

Why would you be irritated about your bags being gone through? They have the right to do that... they can do it at the airport too. And they have always said excess amounts will be confiscated... and it's always been up to them to determine what is excessive (security)... Let us know how it goes, but don't be upset about someone checking your bags... you never know when someone that doesn't have good intentions will be cruising.

Oh no, I don't mind people going through my bags. I'm a big fan of TSA & homeland security and all that. But what irritates me is rules changes going into effect with no notice. I won't care if they go through my bags. I will care if they confiscate my wine.

I've never been a smuggler on any of my prior cruises. Celebrity doesn't allow any beverages to be brought onboard, so I'm used to that policy. I never would have packed the wine I did if it hadn't been expressly allowed in the contract that I agreed to. But now that it is packed and in the car, I'm not unpacking it either.

Also, on this trip, I will be bringing Rice Milk for my son who is allergic to both Soy & Cow milk. I've called the special needs department and cleared this through them already. The world will turn upside down if they throw away my son's milk!

~fly

There are several of them... you can just search on bon voyage gifts... but they won't do beer, liquor, etc any longer. The ones I have seen don't have such great prices on gifts either... I usually just go through Carnival.

Thanks for the info!! I'll go through Carnival, too!

OK so maybe I'm way too anal and think that following rules is way too important but.... If I'm spending $4000, $5000, $6000+ on a cruise, I really don't care if I spend an additional couple of hundred on booze buying drinks through the on-board bars. I would rather not run the risk of being busted (and my booze confiscated) and have more room in my luggage for souvenirs and other stuff we buy, than try to smuggle alcohol on board. I just don't get the mentality. :confused:

Hey - if you are spending $6000+ on a cruise - you should go with one of the all inclusivess - see if you can actually drink your cruise fare!

I saw those reef sandals in a shop a few days ago...they also have some that have a bottle opener in the soul, they were pretty cool. We just got our docs a few days ago and mine say wine enthusiasts may bring fine wine and champagne on board only during embarkation. It also says guests can bring on a small quantity of non alcoholic beverages to be determined by personnel and that exactly what im going to do.

You know the ole sayin'...I had to go to prison to become a criminal. Well, I wasn't a smuggler until I became a CC member and learned how much I could save by smuggling!

If only 1% (percentage quoted from several other threads) of all cruisers frequent the CC and other cruise related boards, how many really know that smuggling is an option??

Am I naive or am I correct in thinking that only a small percentage actually smuggle???? Just a thought...

You know the ole sayin'...I had to go to prison to become a criminal. Well, I wasn't a smuggler until I became a CC member and learned how much I could save by smuggling!

If only 1% (percentage quoted from several other threads) of all cruisers frequent the CC and other cruise related boards, how many really know that smuggling is an option??

Am I naive or am I correct in thinking that only a small percentage actually smuggle???? Just a thought...

I'm going to say naive. Plenty of people that have never heard of CC take their own bottles... it's not just a CC thing at all. Many people that travel frequently and are accustomed to having a bottle around (in the hotel) don't even give it a second thought... I always have a bottle in my hotel, so I can have a drink when I want, or when I'm entertaining guests... I truly didn't even know it was against the rules until my second cruise (i wasn't the one that got the tickets/contract)!!! And I carried a bottle in my carry on :eek:

You don't have to be a CC member to know that smuggling is an option... people were taking their own liquor long before CC :) My parents swear that on their first cruise they were allowed to take theirs on... and they were also allowed to buy liquor and take it right back to the cabin..

I asked because my sister, who is a much more experienced cruiser than I am, expressed surprise that I was able to take my libations onboard.

Neither of us were raised in a prudish, follow all the rules kind of way...but I guess we probably were strongly influenced by the our parent's "integrity" (do what's right even when no one's lookin') mentality.

I guess we've all grown up and have our own definition of "doing what's right".

I asked because my sister, who is a much more experienced cruiser than I am, expressed surprise that I was able to take my libations onboard.

Neither of us were raised in a prudish, follow all the rules kind of way...but I guess we probably were strongly influenced by the our parent's "integrity" (do what's right even when no one's lookin') mentality.

I guess we've all grown up and have our own definition of "doing what's right".

I don't think it has anything to do with integrity... there are some people that truly don't read the fine print and don't know you can't bring it... you can bring your own to any resort or hotel, and a cruise ship is a resort/hotel, so it would seem to reason you could bring your own and many probably don't even give it a second thought. Back when my parents went, it was allowed... they wouldn't have even thought to think that it had changed when I went... now we all know :D

Here is my question - there are so many discussions about smuggling booze - does anyone on Carnival actually purchase booze????? Sure doesn't sound like it.

My other question - which is worse - smuggling booze or wearing jeans in the dining room?

Archived