Will You Now Smuggle?

StuartLittle

Here is my question - there are so many discussions about smuggling booze - does anyone on Carnival actually purchase booze????? Sure doesn't sound like it.

My other question - which is worse - smuggling booze or wearing jeans in the dining room?

Sadly, I generally buy more booze than I like to admit to myself :( My bar tab is always much higher than the cruise fare itself... but hell, it's vacation... and ya can't take it with ya :D

I understand the alcohol......

Ok so 4 adults can bring 1 bottle of wine each......but no water:eek:

Makes no sense whatsoever......

I'm with you on this one. I've drink TONS of bottled water and my whole family suffered without it last cruise. Buying it at the ships prices are ridiculous!

I'm with you on this one. I've drink TONS of bottled water and my whole family suffered without it last cruise. Buying it at the ships prices are ridiculous!

The really large 1.5 liter bottle is like $4... I don't think that is ridiculous at all :confused: It cost $2.50 at our grocery store... so I don't think it's an unreasonable mark up...

You pay $2.50 for 1.5 liter of water?? I always get my cases of Poland Spring and Deer Park for $4 for a case of half-liter bottles - that's TWELVE liters for $4.. And THAT's what makes the onboard price a complete rip-off. Which is why I bring a half case myself.

Carnival, are you reading this? Your water prices are a complete rip-off!

Will smuggle, we take 1-6 pack diet dr. pepper and 1-6 pack reg. dr. pepper + 1 pack water. We still will, when taken we will just switch cruise lines. I can live with a sports bottel and thier fountain water but, I'm taken the pop:(

They aren't the only line out there and if they want to get that petty, I don't want to cruise them. Just my feelings.

The cruise line is being petty?????

Sorry all who smuggle but sounds like its the smuggler who is petty.

They don't carry your brand of soda, I don't buy that excuse. You can't last 7 days without that brand, or the poster who said they had to have caffeine free coke or mountain dew, funny mountain dew has the most caffeine of any brand.

You sound more like spoiled children who must have their way.

Not really the point now is it about "the man". Kindly explain to me how you feel the no water/soda policy is justified?

For one...YOU are a GUEST on THEIR SHIP. You don't like it, start your own cruise line, be majority shareholder and make your own rules.

You pay $2.50 for 1.5 liter of water?? I always get my cases of Poland Spring and Deer Park for $4 for a case of half-liter bottles - that's TWELVE liters for $4.. And THAT's what makes the onboard price a complete rip-off. Which is why I bring a half case myself.

You are comparing what you buy at Sams/Costco/grocery store to a cruise ships price. Compare Carnival's pricing to other cruise lines and see how it measures up. Cruise lines don't compete against grocery stores.

hey I just spoke to me PVp and he said nonsense...we can take water and soda..just don't make it like a shopping day at the grocery store. Thats what makes them..CARNIVAL mad is when people abuse. He sad a 24 pack of water is fine and nomore than a case of soda. I will try it next month and let you know if Carnival puts me in the brig for it or not..lol

I think this is more official:

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/ticket_contract.aspx

"(e). Except as noted below, Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on Carnival’s vessels for on board consumption. However, at the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day only, wine enthusiasts may bring fine wine or champagne on board. A $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged should guests wish to consume this wine/champagne in the dining room, or a $14 corkage fee per bottle if consumed in the Supper Club. Prohibited alcoholic beverages confiscated in embarkation day will be discarded without compensation. (etc. snipped about gift shop)

"(f). Guests may bring a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages at the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day only. Excessive quantities, as determined by Carnival, will be confiscated and discarded without compensation."

I just got my Welcome aboard letter by email this a.m. and it still states "Guests may bring a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages. Excessive quantities to be determined at the discretion of security and/or embarkation personnel, will be confiscated and retained by Carnival until the cruise is completed" Wouldn't you think that they would have updated this?

I just got my Welcome aboard letter by email this a.m. and it still states "Guests may bring a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages. Excessive quantities to be determined at the discretion of security and/or embarkation personnel, will be confiscated and retained by Carnival until the cruise is completed" Wouldn't you think that they would have updated this?

When would they have had time to update it???? The change was just made on Wednesday...

Yup, sure do!! I also buy cases for $4... but when I am going to workout, or go for a walk, I go through alot of water quickly and don't like to carry several bottles of water, so I buy the 1.5 liter... Carnivals pricing is reasonable... now, at the Westin I believe that same bottle of water was $7... hotel prices for water are generally higher than what you would pay on a cruise ship... and also, when you go to a restaurant and they charge you $2 for a drink, do you start to argue with them about how much you paid at the grocery store??? Do you bring your own with you?? I guess you also put a few bottles in your purse/murse when you go to the theatre?? Carnival isn't the only company that marks up drink prices... but theirs are more reasonable than many... get out a little, you'll see it's the truth.

I don't think it has anything to do with integrity... there are some people that truly don't read the fine print and don't know you can't bring it... you can bring your own to any resort or hotel, and a cruise ship is a resort/hotel, so it would seem to reason you could bring your own and many probably don't even give it a second thought. Back when my parents went, it was allowed... they wouldn't have even thought to think that it had changed when I went... now we all know :D

I would tend to agree, but if someone is putting a glass bottle in their checked luggage ... they know. ;)

OK so maybe I'm way too anal and think that following rules is way too important but.... If I'm spending $4000, $5000, $6000+ on a cruise, I really don't care if I spend an additional couple of hundred on booze buying drinks through the on-board bars. I would rather not run the risk of being busted (and my booze confiscated) and have more room in my luggage for souvenirs and other stuff we buy, than try to smuggle alcohol on board. I just don't get the mentality. :confused:

Hear, here. It's ridiculous to fill up half a suitcase and lug around another 18 pounds just to save $40 for a case of Coke. Especially, like you said, when you've already spent thousands of dollars on the cruise, plane tickets, etc.

I think this is more official:

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/ticket_contract.aspx

"(e). Except as noted below, Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on Carnival’s vessels for on board consumption. However, at the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day only, wine enthusiasts may bring fine wine or champagne on board. A $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged should guests wish to consume this wine/champagne in the dining room, or a $14 corkage fee per bottle if consumed in the Supper Club. Prohibited alcoholic beverages confiscated in embarkation day will be discarded without compensation. (etc. snipped about gift shop)

"(f). Guests may bring a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages at the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day only. Excessive quantities, as determined by Carnival, will be confiscated and discarded without compensation."

Absolutely correct the cruise contract is more "official". It also does not state specific amounts and therefore amounts are subject to the whims of the cruiseline at any time.

Absolutely correct the cruise contract is more "official". It also does not state specific amounts and therefore amounts are subject to the whims of the cruiseline at any time.

LOL.. yup! And they also state in their contract that they can cancel your contract at the port, for whatever reason they want... and cancel your cruise :p So when someone fights them on it, they can just say "oops, your contract has been cancelled... please expect your refund in 4-6 weeks" :p

I think someone is just trying to get people going. The policy hasn't changed it has always said you can't bring on alcohol, and you can bring on a limited amount of wine. It still says you can bring on nonalcoholic beverages just not excessive amounts, that seems reasonable to me. I mean if someone has a giant suitcase full of soda and water that is excessive! :p

I think someone is just trying to get people going. The policy hasn't changed it has always said you can't bring on alcohol, and you can bring on a limited amount of wine. It still says you can bring on nonalcoholic beverages just not excessive amounts, that seems reasonable to me. I mean if someone has a giant suitcase full of soda and water that is excessive! :p

So you think Carnival is pulling our leg? Have you bothered to actually look at the website and see where it says NO non alcoholic beverages and ONE bottle of wine?? It's very clear on the website... So you saying that Carnival is just playing an early April Fools joke?? :rolleyes:

Archived