Casa De Campo Excursions for 1st timers

MillbrookMom

Hi Everyone we are just back from our 12/16 cruise.

We went to the public beach. It is right next door to the hotel Casa del Mar. The security guard there offered to let one of our girls use the bathroom there. My DH was going to go with her but she decided not to because she would have had to take her muster station band off and that was a pain. So we did not check out the resort.

The cab was $55 round trip for 4 people. The rates are clearly posted at the cab stand. The cab waited 3+ hours for us. The rate included a 2 hour wait. The 3rd hour is $10 or you can negotiate.

The beach was beautiful. There were guys to help you with chairs etc. and they assigned themselves to you. They would get you beers and food too. They worked for tips and commission for what they sold you. They all wore orange T shirts with a logo on it. The main guy who helped us was Eddie "Murphy". Tito also helped us, with lifting me into the water as I do not walk. Eddie was a true operator and spoke English well. Tito is a big guy and quieter. We tipped them when we left. There were some shops there too. There are no bathrooms. The water is beautiful. For $10 a person they will take you out on a boat to snorkel. People who did it said the reef was beautiful. My DH swam out but it is far. He is a very strong swimmer. The drive to Bahayibe is about 25 minutes to a half hour.

If you have any questions, I am happy to answer them.

We have out of town company arriving today so it may take me a day or so.

Jean

Was the beach crowded?

Do you have pictures?

Would the rate be the same for 5 people?

How long of a drive was it to the beach?

How much was beer and food?

So, if I read this right, and we are in port from 11 AM to 6 PM, we should be able to 'shuttle' to the Marina and back, then to Altos de Chavon within the alloted time period?

Has anyone gone to the Marina area, and how does it compare to Altos??

Any help is appreciated... :)

Another couple that we talked to on the ship did the Marina area and they were disappointed. They wish they had gone to Altos instead. I heard you can do the Marina and then they have shuttles there that you can transfer on to go to Altos when your done. But I do not know of anyone who did this. So I can not confirm that it can be done.

You have plenty of time to do both if you choose to.

Has anyone done the Mississippi River Boat Excursion from Altos? It looks interesting, but the number of steps going down to it has me concerned with my trick knee & bum hip!:rolleyes: Walking is no problem, but steps can be difficult at times. Also, do you then have to go back UP?:eek:

Hi Everyone we are just back from our 12/16 cruise.

If you have any questions, I am happy to answer them.

We have out of town company arriving today so it may take me a day or so.

Jean

Are there any charters available for day trips? to snorkel and such for 2 or 3 hours other than that boat ride from the beach you mentioned? (you know,like a stingray city type excursion?, rays, turtles, a special place or just coral reef is fine) it would be so nice if they had those right there off the boat ya know!? id get right off and right on and take a catamaran or something for a few hours.

if anyone else knows of any, im looking for the opinions of the best trip like i described for any or all of my stops this time- St. Thomas, Casa De Campo, or San Juan.

Thanks,

Ed

Was the beach crowded?

Do you have pictures?

Would the rate be the same for 5 people?

How long of a drive was it to the beach?

How much was beer and food?

The beach was not crowded at all. The fellow who helped us said it can get crowded when there are more ships in port. There were two ships at the port and the beach was not crowded in the least.

I think the rate would be the same for 5 as it was for 4.

The drive took about 25 minutes each way. It seemed shorter coming back but it was the same route.

The beer was $5 for a large bottle of beer. We did not eat so I am not sure the food prices.

I do not have pictures, for some reason we forgot to take any. My table mates do and they are sending me a CD of their photos so I will post when I get them. It was beautiful and the water was calm and clear.

Jean

Are there any charters available for day trips? to snorkel and such for 2 or 3 hours other than that boat ride from the beach you mentioned? (you know,like a stingray city type excursion?, rays, turtles, a special place or just coral reef is fine) it would be so nice if they had those right there off the boat ya know!? id get right off and right on and take a catamaran or something for a few hours.

if anyone else knows of any, im looking for the opinions of the best trip like i described for any or all of my stops this time- St. Thomas, Casa De Campo, or San Juan

Ed- the only tours I saw were the ones from the beach. I did not see anything like in Grand Cayman.

My wife and I stayed at a resort (Viva Dominicus Palace), not too far from La Romana, just 5 years ago for our honeymoon. We are now excited to see the same area on our Carnival Destiny cruise on the 1st and 2nd of February.

Here are the activities we did during our week stay 5 years ago:

Altos De Chavon - really nice if you are looking for a quick tour of an older cobblestone town. Great views of the Chavon river. We actually did an extended tour that involved a boat ride up the chavon river and to Altos De Chavon. It was a good experience if you are looking for a non-beach/dry activity.

Santo Domingo - I was amazed on how nice the locals were. Lots of shops with good deals. They are famous for their Dominican paintings and Mohogany wood carvings. We bought a Mohogany wood carving for $25 - they started at $175. Buy coffee here (or anywhere in the DR) if you are a coffee drinker. If you like history, go to Santo Domingo! We got to tour Diego Columbus's house (wow!). They have original rugs and furniture still in the palace. Huge courtyard too.

Bahiybe - best beaches in the Carribean! I have done a Western Carribean and Eastern Carribean cruise (southern cruise in Jan/Feb '08!), and we are still comparing the beaches to those in Bahiybe. You can't beat it, at least not at the resort we were at. The only one that came close is a beach in Roatan, Honduras.

Saona Isle - if you get a chance, do not pass this up!! This was the highlite of our honeymoon. We took a speed boat from our resort towards Saona. We stopped about 200 yards from shore to snorkle with hundreds of starfish (no coral, but tons of starfish). I have a great pic of my wife swimming with the star fish underwater (it is harmful to them if you bring them above water). The beach on Saona was blindingly white (if that makes sense). Most beautiful sand you will ever see (not much for snorkeling that I remember). The tour we took had snacks and beverages included. Keep in mind - my experience was from 5 years ago and I have read recent reviews in tour books stating that things are changing and not as "secluded". If I find a local tour - expect me to be on Saona Isle on Feb 2nd.

Back country 4 wheeling/sugar cane fields - was fun, but too dusty for my wife. If you choose to do this, where sunglasses or googles. Got to see much of the rural area and visited with locals. Interesting experience, but I would rather spend my time on the beach in the DR.

I've noticed that some have been asking about the cigar factory tour. We stopped at a cigar factory on our way to Altos De Chavon - I was not impressed. It is nothing more than a small building with locals rolling cigars. They showed the process in how they are made, but I wasn't interested.

I hope this helps...

For those that have been to La Romana from a cruise ship - are excursions to Saona Isle from the Pier?? If so, what did you pay?

My wife and I stayed at a resort (Viva Dominicus Palace), not too far from La Romana, just 5 years ago for our honeymoon. We are now excited to see the same area on our Carnival Destiny cruise on the 1st and 2nd of February.

Here are the activities we did during our week stay 5 years ago:

Altos De Chavon - really nice if you are looking for a quick tour of an older cobblestone town. Great views of the Chavon river. We actually did an extended tour that involved a boat ride up the chavon river and to Altos De Chavon. It was a good experience if you are looking for a non-beach/dry activity.

Santo Domingo - I was amazed on how nice the locals were. Lots of shops with good deals. They are famous for their Dominican paintings and Mohogany wood carvings. We bought a Mohogany wood carving for $25 - they started at $175. Buy coffee here (or anywhere in the DR) if you are a coffee drinker. If you like history, go to Santo Domingo! We got to tour Diego Columbus's house (wow!). They have original rugs and furniture still in the palace. Huge courtyard too.

Bahiybe - best beaches in the Carribean! I have done a Western Carribean and Eastern Carribean cruise (southern cruise in Jan/Feb '08!), and we are still comparing the beaches to those in Bahiybe. You can't beat it, at least not at the resort we were at. The only one that came close is a beach in Roatan, Honduras.

Saona Isle - if you get a chance, do not pass this up!! This was the highlite of our honeymoon. We took a speed boat from our resort towards Saona. We stopped about 200 yards from shore to snorkle with hundreds of starfish (no coral, but tons of starfish). I have a great pic of my wife swimming with the star fish underwater (it is harmful to them if you bring them above water). The beach on Saona was blindingly white (if that makes sense). Most beautiful sand you will ever see (not much for snorkeling that I remember). The tour we took had snacks and beverages included. Keep in mind - my experience was from 5 years ago and I have read recent reviews in tour books stating that things are changing and not as "secluded". If I find a local tour - expect me to be on Saona Isle on Feb 2nd.

Back country 4 wheeling/sugar cane fields - was fun, but too dusty for my wife. If you choose to do this, where sunglasses or googles. Got to see much of the rural area and visited with locals. Interesting experience, but I would rather spend my time on the beach in the DR.

I've noticed that some have been asking about the cigar factory tour. We stopped at a cigar factory on our way to Altos De Chavon - I was not impressed. It is nothing more than a small building with locals rolling cigars. They showed the process in how they are made, but I wasn't interested.

I hope this helps...

For those that have been to La Romana from a cruise ship - are excursions to Saona Isle from the Pier?? If so, what did you pay?

We too LOVE Roatan... which beach did you go to there that compares w/ Bahibye? We went to one named Tabiyana ???? I think, can't quite remember....

We too LOVE Roatan... which beach did you go to there that compares w/ Bahibye? We went to one named Tabiyana ???? I think, can't quite remember....

That is the same beach I was refering to. That is another island I need to get back to...

Has anyone done the Mississippi River Boat Excursion from Altos? It looks interesting, but the number of steps going down to it has me concerned with my trick knee & bum hip!:rolleyes: Walking is no problem, but steps can be difficult at times. Also, do you then have to go back UP?:eek:

We did this excursion. Altos is a beautiful village, we really enjoyed it. To get to the river you have to go down 300 steps. They are very rocky and it can be tiring. If you have a problem with steps you may want to reconsider. The boat excursion was ok, they give you rum and coke or just coke.

Sharon

We did this excursion. Altos is a beautiful village, we really enjoyed it. To get to the river you have to go down 300 steps. They are very rocky and it can be tiring. If you have a problem with steps you may want to reconsider. The boat excursion was ok, they give you rum and coke or just coke.

Sharon

Thanks for the reply. I am reconsidering this tour. My other question about it is do they pick you up at the boat after, or do you have to walk back UP those steps?

Thanks for the reply. I am reconsidering this tour. My other question about it is do they pick you up at the boat after, or do you have to walk back UP those steps?

The tour guide was teasing us the whole time that we'd have to walk back up the steps, but actually a really nice air conditioned bus was waiting for us when we got off the boat. :)

Sharon

The tour guide was teasing us the whole time that we'd have to walk back up the steps, but actually a really nice air conditioned bus was waiting for us when we got off the boat. :)

Sharon

Thank you so much for the info. I have wanted to book this for our 2/15 cruise but wanted to hear about the steps also.

Thanks Sunny AZ Girl for asking the question.

Thank you so much for the info. I have wanted to book this for our 2/15 cruise but wanted to hear about the steps also.

Thanks Sunny AZ Girl for asking the question.

I still may want to sign up for the tour, but I may wait until we are on the ship. It will depend on how my aching joints are doing at the time!;)

I still may want to sign up for the tour, but I may wait until we are on the ship. It will depend on how my aching joints are doing at the time!;)

My husband would prefer to sign up on the ship but I remember the lines at the Excursion desk when we were on the Explorer in October and they were ridiculous so I am leaning toward booking it soon, on line. If we do the tour, I will try to write a review of it, either here or on the All Things Explorer thread.

Would love to hear all about the tours everyone took. We are doing the 4-11-08 EOS cruise. As said before, we aren;t beach or water related people and were thinking of taking the Country safari Adventure tour in casa de camp and either the best of St. thomas or blackbear castle if neither don't have too many steps.

So...........everyone enjoy your upcoming cruise and we would love to hear all about the tours you have taken.

Iris

Whatchathink 'Mom'..! :) Sounds like this may be a popular tour... Might want to sign up ahead of time...

I hate standing in lines, unless there is a bar boy/girl real close by... ;)

Couldn't be too bad walking 'down' steps... :p

Has anyone been on the horsaback riding tour through RCCL. Our friends daughter wants me to go with her, but I would like to now if anyone has any feedback.

If not, I will post something on when we get back (going 1/25/08 on Explorer)

THX!:D

My husband would prefer to sign up on the ship but I remember the lines at the Excursion desk when we were on the Explorer in October and they were ridiculous so I am leaning toward booking it soon, on line. If we do the tour, I will try to write a review of it, either here or on the All Things Explorer thread.

You can also sign up for excursions using the TV in your stateroom, avoiding the Excursions Desk altogether. Of course, you still run the risk of a popular excursion being sold out before you even board. I really couldn't understand why the excursions desk always had a crowd. I thought it might be people who had questions about certain things, but while I was at Guest Relations handling some seapass issues, I was watching one after another guest go to the Shore Excursions desk simply to book their trips. Go figure. Perhaps they didn't know you could do the very same thing on the TV.

Enjoy your cruise!

Donna

You can also sign up for excursions using the TV in your stateroom, avoiding the Excursions Desk altogether. Of course, you still run the risk of a popular excursion being sold out before you even board. I really couldn't understand why the excursions desk always had a crowd. I thought it might be people who had questions about certain things, but while I was at Guest Relations handling some seapass issues, I was watching one after another guest go to the Shore Excursions desk simply to book their trips. Go figure. Perhaps they didn't know you could do the very same thing on the TV.

Enjoy your cruise!

Donna

Actually, I tried to use the TV in the cabin but I could not get it to work. I had all my excursions booked online but then found out that one of the ones that I couldn't get online for the time I wanted, was available so I tried the TV and it got me crazy so I left dinner early that night and stood in line forever. They had 2 people there and it was supposed to be open until 8:30 and at 8:30, one person left, which made the line go slower and people were booking all their tours there. I finally got my tour, Kennebunkport for the AM and the night before, I got a note that the AM tour was canceled but I could have the PM tour, which I didn't want to begin with, or cancel or rebook something else. So I went down at 5:00 the next night and waited until they opened up at 5:30 to cancel and there were a slew of people behind me. We are in the same cabin as last time so I figure the TV will make me crazy again so I am going to try to do everything online again. Thanks for the suggestion, though. Oh, and the AM tour was canceled because the President was there in the morning.

Whatchathink 'Mom'..! :) Sounds like this may be a popular tour... Might want to sign up ahead of time...

I hate standing in lines, unless there is a bar boy/girl real close by... ;)

Couldn't be too bad walking 'down' steps... :p

I definetly don't want to stand in line....Steve thinks he may enjoy the Country Safari, too. I'm hoping a review comes in on that one soon.

BTW, it's the going down that's the hardest! Sometimes my knee just vanishes while I go down a step & I end up on my nose!:eek: Of course, if you'll walk right in front of me you could pad the fall. ;)

Archived