Cell Phones on Board???

zbar

while on the victory in january, had to make a call from sea on my cell. it was the last night at sea heading into miami, but called and was on the phone for maybe 10-20 minutes, cost me about $9... During the cruise my phone was on, but no use, i saw calls come in, and saw voicemails but once i got to port i used it, without any additional costs.

Verizon will charge $2.49 a minute while at sea. When in port the shipboard tower is turned off and roaming charges apply for wherever you are; IE: Puerto Rico= .69 @minute. Call the carrier, on check the web site.

The "standard" rate from ship (Carnival's Cellular at Sea program) is $2.49 per minute but as others have said you definitely need to check with your own carrier. If you have international roaming in your plan, rates are less on islands. The plans vary widely and if you have email/internet access on your phone the rates are sky high unless you switch temporarily to an international plan. Be specific in your questions to your carrier--I called prior to sailing in Feb 07 regarding my access to email, etc on phone (Treo 650) and was given the wrong information. I called back when I received my outrageous bill and was, luckily, credited because I had been given incorrect info prior to sailing.

My question to you is -- why do you need a cell phone on a cruise?????

Holland America - 2004, 2006

Carnival - 1995, 1998, 2006, 2006, 2007

NCL - 1994, 1996, 1997, 2003

Royal Caribbean - 2002

When you make a call from your cell on board to a landline back home, how does the call show up? Does it show your regular cell number or will it show anything related to Carnival since it is routed through their cell service onboard before going through your carrier?

Royal Caribbean - 2002

How do you know that the OP isn't a doctor and it's a life/death emergency? ;)

Actually the answer to the OP is it DEPENDS. I have Verizon and my phone wouldn't work AT ALL in the Bahamas. But my MIL has Cingular and a "Cingular at Sea" logo popped up on her phone and she was able to yap and yap on the phone. I TRIED to warn her how expensive it was. And with all things, she didn't listen and was slapped with a $482 phone bill. :D ;)

Can't agree with the poster who suggested a person might need their cell phone in case they're a physician, etc. Even docs go on vacation and have someone cover their patients for them and yes, emergenices do arise. Those are the exception, not the rule. Though I have a cell phone, as soon as the ship leaves home port, that phone gets turned off and tossed into the safe. It doesn't come out again until the night before we return home. It's bad enough listening to people babbling on their phones in elevators, theaters, bathrooms, you name it. Now we get the luxury of getting to sit by someone at dinner and listen to their all important phone conversations (which happened on our cruise until enough people complained about one man who was on his cell phone constantly while at dinner and the maitre'd finally asked the man to take his conversation elsewhere). Funny thing is, the guy spent most of his time talking with his employer about sales figures. The rest of the time, he was talking to his kids. What's next? Having to take that all important call midway through the evening's entertainment? Call me old fashioned, but my mother raised me to be a gentleman and be considerate of others around me. People who have to talk on their cell phones while thousands of miles from home in the middle of an ocean need to be put in a room with others of their ilk so we don't have to listen to their one-sided conversations.

Royal Caribbean - 2002

I dont use one, but evidently many have the need/want or the service wouldnt be available. It could come in handy for changing flights or making hotel arrangements if the ship is late returning to port.

Some people may have family situations back at home that would make them want to have the option to use their cell phone if necessary. I leave the ship's emergency information for my family AND check my e-mail when away. I guess every situation is different, and while I don't spend time talking on my cell phone while on a cruise, my family knows they can call me IF they need to.

I got the same info from Verizon, $2.49 a minute while on board, and they also told me that my text messaging did not change; whatever plan I have now stays the same and I am not charged extra for airtime. I plan to follow up before I leave to make sure I fully understand all costs.

Royal Caribbean - 2002

If you really need me to justify my reasoning, I will.

We're sailing on a 7 day cruise while leaving the three kids in the care of their father (my ex husband) for 4 days and their grandparents for 3 days. I know they'll be in great care, so I won't probably have to call them and check up although I might. I've never been away from my kids for more than one night! I want to be accessible in case of an emergency as well.

People who have to talk on their cell phones while thousands of miles from home in the middle of an ocean need to be put in a room with others of their ilk so we don't have to listen to their one-sided conversations.

No one ever said here that we were going to yammer away on our phones all over the ship the whole time we are there. The OP just asked a simple question about rates. If you want to put me "in a room with others of my ilk" for being a conscienentous mother, that's your prerogrative to lump me into that category. This time around is our wedding cruise. We'll be bringing the kids with us next year on our cruise. Trust me, those three kids will talk out loud a LOT more than anyone talking on a cell phone! :D

Lora- I think it's sad that you would even be questioned....:confused: Going on vacation is meant so that people can relax, and I like you want to be able to check in, even if just once or twice, so that I know all is well and I can RELAX on my vacation. I had to use mine, on this last trip, as I travel for business. I had lost a corporate credit card on Friday, sailed Sunday and needed a replacement at my office the day after I was home to travel out again. It saved me!

Congratualtions on your upcoming wedding and honeymoon!! I wish you all the best!:)

I have Sprint and before I left, for my January cruise on the Victory, I got the unlimited international roaming added to my cell service. I was told (by Sprint) that this service discounts international roaming charges and cost $4.99/month - I cancelled it after a month. My cell phone bill was exactly the same (plus the $4.99) as it is every month and I used my phone a lot while on board and in ports. Before I get flamed for using my phone, the airlines lost our luggage and we had to make several 20 - 40 minutes calls to track our luggage and make arrangments, for it. Most of my calls were made after 7pm (which is when my free nights and weekends start), because USAir is in Arizona and this was a good time to call them. I don't know if making the calls after 7pm helped the cost or not - I'm mean I'm not sure if international roaming is included in the nights and weekend costs. Anyway, my point is: 1. I did not have a very expensive bill, since I had the international roaming added, and 2. I always left my phone turned off and in my safe. I did carry it in ports just in case of an emergency - so I never used it at dinner or up on deck or anywhere other then in my cabin.

Lora- I think it's sad that you would even be questioned....:confused: Going on vacation is meant so that people can relax, and I like you want to be able to check in, even if just once or twice, so that I know all is well and I can RELAX on my vacation. I had to use mine, on this last trip, as I travel for business. I had lost a corporate credit card on Friday, sailed Sunday and needed a replacement at my office the day after I was home to travel out again. It saved me!

Congratualtions on your upcoming wedding and honeymoon!! I wish you all the best!:)

I'm feel the same way. I have a 4 year. Thought she will be at home with my husband and in great care, it will help me relax much better to know that if an emergency arises they can reach me. It will also help her since I'll be away for 7 nights (never been away from her this long). I can call her before her bedtime and find out how her day went and tell her good night. She's only 4 so it's not like I'm going to be walking around talking to her all day. Even though the evening conversations aren't neccessary, they will give me a piece of mind and help me relax on my vacation. :)

I also have cingular and had added an international plan to get the cost down to less than a $1 per min (differant for differant ports 29 cent to 1.29) but its $5.99 per month. I can cancel when the cruise is over.

I personally love my husband enough and miss him that I like to check in with him a few times during the week...That's WHY I Have My Cell In Use!

MAO

I have Sprint and before I left, for my January cruise on the Victory, I got the unlimited international roaming added to my cell service. I was told (by Sprint) that this service discounts international roaming charges and cost $4.99/month - I cancelled it after a month. My cell phone bill was exactly the same (plus the $4.99) as it is every month and I used my phone a lot while on board and in ports. Before I get flamed for using my phone, the airlines lost our luggage and we had to make several 20 - 40 minutes calls to track our luggage and make arrangments, for it. Most of my calls were made after 7pm (which is when my free nights and weekends start), because USAir is in Arizona and this was a good time to call them. I don't know if making the calls after 7pm helped the cost or not - I'm mean I'm not sure if international roaming is included in the nights and weekend costs. Anyway, my point is: 1. I did not have a very expensive bill, since I had the international roaming added, and 2. I always left my phone turned off and in my safe. I did carry it in ports just in case of an emergency - so I never used it at dinner or up on deck or anywhere other then in my cabin.

Rats! Wish I had known this on our last cruise. We have Sprint and our DD's ran up quite a bill calling boyfriends back home.:mad:

Its called the Maritime Telecommunications Network thats linked out of Miami, The charges start around 2.49 per min. But remember, once the ship hits a port, this MTN system shuts down and you are using the Island roam system. Thats where your International plan kicks in and you start spend some real money.

Fred

Lora, I totally understand - we're on the same BOAT. :D My 8-yr old son will be staying with his grandparents and he has special needs. I'll be wanting to call every night to make sure they don't have questions, and to see how he's getting along. Nothing too long, but just so he can hear my voice for a few minutes and know I haven't dropped off the face of the earth. I also need them to be able to reach me if something crazy should happen. Not that I can swim back home, but - well you know what I mean. ;)

T-Mobile also charges $2.49/min.

I think I read somewhere that you can now use your cell phone on board 24/7... is this true??? If so how did they do this and does it cost an arm and a leg??:D

I would never travel without one. When I was on the Legend we were a day late getting back and I had to call the airline and the car service. The Cabin phones diden't work very well with over 2000 people trying to use them. some people waited 3 or 4 hours to make a call from there cabin. My Cell phone after 20 min of trying got my two calls out.

Archived