Ocho Rios and Grand Cayman-What to do?

For anyone that's been to these islands, I'd love to hear what you have done. We'll be going in late Sept. My friend can't swim so she's not into many water activities. She said she might try snorkeling if we could find somewhere to do it that's not too deep. Any suggestions? Also our budgets are tight so we'd like some cheap suggestions of things to do. I've been researching but would like to hear from someone who's been there and experienced things first hand. Thanks!

This isn't cheap, but I would consider it worth cutting costs to do...

We did the RCI excursion called Discover the Real Jamaica. The excursion took us along the beautiful countryside and up into the hills. We ate lunch at a plantation, which was an authentic Jamaican lunch. We had jerk pork, chicken, and many native fruits and vegetables. We got a tour of the important plants that are in the country, what they use them for (ie. food, medicine, etc.). Before our lunch, we ventured to a pineapple farm where we sampled pineapple and coconut fresh from the fields. You got to taste the coconut milk, the meat, and the water. We then ventured to a local schoolhouse. The children there are sooo cute and photogenic. They were around 3-7 years of age, if I remember correctly. Then we went to a church and walked around its grounds. Then we took another drive back along the countryside back to the ship. It was nice to do something so cultural. The people were friendly and the food was delicious.

We just got back from Jamaica on our cruise and we took the Brennar Hall/Falls tour. We loved it. We also did the plantation tour which was really neat and then went to a beach resort for lunch and then on to climb the falls. You don't need to be able to swim to climb the falls but oh goodness DON'T miss going to see them. It was one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. They run right up to the ocean and it was raining the day we climbed them and we still had a blast.

In Grand Cayman we did the 7 mile Beach break and I would not reccommend it. It was pretty but way too crowded. I would opt for something further away from port where there aren't so many people.

In Ocho Rios we hired Marva Shaw as our tour guide for the day (http://www.knowjamiaca.com). She was INCREDIBLE! Our tour lasted the entire day (Dunn's River falls, tubing down the White River, lunch at a local jerk restaurant, Reggae Beach and shopping). We felt it was a value at $60/person; however, it adds up if you want to find something "thrifty."

May I suggest getting a tour guide to take you to Dunn's River Falls (I recommend climbing them - the water is not deep) and then going to a local beach? Marva is willing to customize tours and may be able to come up with something for you - e-mail her and see what she suggests :). Also, if you decide to go to the falls, then go EARLY or it will be crowded (we were the 2nd vehicle there - the first was from a local resort).

In Grand Cayman we went to Royal Palms located on 7 Mile Beach. It was "free;" however, the beach chairs are $5 each (from what I've read, they are usually $10 at other beaches). There is a restaurant as well. FYI The sandy beaches are not ideal for snorkeling.

Jamaica: Do the Dunns River Falls (Awesome) have a Red Stripe Beer when you are done (Very inexpensive) at the falls. then go to margauritaVille...What a riot!!! They have beach with a great view of the ship (If you are docked on the main dock) good food and drinks!! :p

If you feel daring, go to the Open Air market in town...some people feel it is scary or pushy...We have been here many times including 2 week long vacations in Ocho Rios....We have found the people to be wonderful...their pushy nature is due to the fact that the cruise ships are only in port for a cirtain amount of time and they need to make as much money as they can during that time. Most vendors are doing this to make a living for their familys....We have gotten to know many very wonderful people here once you take amoment to talk to them. (I am NOT, of course talking about the ones trying to sell you drugs!!! :cool: Just tell them NO THANK YOU and move on. We have never ecnountered a problem whether traveling as a couple or with our 4 children. This is a gorgeous Island with tons of character!!! have fun:D

Grand Cayman: This is not are favorite island but still very nice....Unless you like crowds, stay away from the main town. It is extremely busy when the ships are in port.:eek: We have had a great time going to see the Sting Rays & Snorkeling:D but I'm not sure how well this would work if one does not swim...Or take a tour of the other parts of the island...This Island is also a bit pricey be aware. We are going back here on the Freedom in Jan. 08 and I have not yet decided what we are going to do this time.:rolleyes:

In Jamaica I stay on the ship when everyone gets off - and have the place to myself for awhile. Then we go out and visit an local resort for a daily fee ($30 pp) or go to Marguerita ville - they have the slide over the bar and the beach.

In Grand Caymen take a taxi to 7 mile beach and go to the Marriott Courtyard - it will be away from the crowds. This beach is great. The sand is so hard you do not make footprints - great for walking.

One year we did the 4X4 tour and it was really fun. Took you all around the island (including hell) and my kids really liked it. pricey though.

Have fun - Grand Caymen is one of our favorite ports! Cozumel is the BEST!:D

I'm wondering this as well. I've always done ships excursions, but they don't offer one that goes just to DRF. I just want to climb the falls, hit Margaritaville and then head back to the ship.

Can you still go to the Falls withut doing an excursion? Do you just take a taxi? How pricey is this?

For anyone that's been to these islands, I'd love to hear what you have done. We'll be going in late Sept. My friend can't swim so she's not into many water activities. She said she might try snorkeling if we could find somewhere to do it that's not too deep. Any suggestions? Also our budgets are tight so we'd like some cheap suggestions of things to do. I've been researching but would like to hear from someone who's been there and experienced things first hand. Thanks!

We've been to both Ocho Rios & Grand Cayman several times.

My recommendations:

Ocho Rios - go to Dunns River Falls and climb the falls. Lots of fun!!

Grand Cayman - Stingray City, without a doubt! I would recommend booking a tour independently with one of the local operators. I have personally used Nativeway Watersports and would highly recommend them. They only fit about 20 or so people to a boat so advance reservations are a good idea. Don't book Stingray City through the ship - the boat they use for the ship's tour holds a lot of people (150 - 200) and is extremely crowded.

I don't swim either so I can assure you that it will not be a problem for your friend.

I'm wondering this as well. I've always done ships excursions, but they don't offer one that goes just to DRF. I just want to climb the falls, hit Margaritaville and then head back to the ship.

First of all, I highly recommed climbing the Falls. Of all the things that we have done on our various cruises we still often talk about the fun we had doing that.

It is very easy to do this with out taking a ship's tour. Just as you exit the terminal there will be some mini bus type vehicles located there. The company was called JUTA tours. They take you to the Falls and set up a prearranged time for everyone to meet back in the parking lot for the return back to the ship. They give you more than enough time to climb. I can't remember exactly but I think it was about $15.00 round trip and that included the admission price into the park where the Falls are located.

We did the Falls in the morning and then we spent the afternoon in town near where the ship docks. There is a place called Island village, which is where Margaritaville is located. It is a very nice place to spend the afternoon.

Another vote for Dunn's River falls. We took a bus right at port (many available) for 5.50 p/p round trip and payed about 12$ entry for the falls. You don't need to swim, but you will need water shoes so bring these from home. We payed for a "guide" that leads a group up the falls. Tipped him at the end. Really fabulous!!!! BTW, we were not bothered by the locals too much. Just stay near the port, and don't get into any private taxis IMO. If they are pushy, a simple firm, no thank you will be fine. Been there before on a land trip and found the people to be nice.

Grand Cayman we did stingray city with the ship. We also did this with Marvin (private) another cruise but preferred the experience with the ship. You are on a sandbar where the water is only about 3.5 to 4 ft high. Really neat because you head out about 20-30 min or so into the ocean, then stop and it is so shallow. Not scary at all, although the rays come really close and skim up against you. A great experience! As for this island, my husband and I love it. We find it very pretty and "civilized". Although no bargaining at the jewellery stores, but we got a great deal on Movados.

I disagree that Dunns falls is worth doing...I have heard of many injury - smoking pot on the "trail" and people letting go of hands and falling - I don't want to hold hands with people I don't know ...I saw the falls and was unimpressed....I took a tour and sat on the boat drinkint Red Stripe with the ladies on the ship...JMO

Go to Margreritaville or a resort or stay on the ship. Dunns Falls highly overratted!

Oceanboy,

Thanks for the advice, that sounds perfect. Next question, aside from a camera and water shoes, what do we need to bring? Do we just wear our suits and bring a beach bag?

Thanks,

Tina

First off, don't forget the water shoes. Without them you won't have a good time. Bring a towel and some clothes to change into after your climb. They have lockers there which I think cost around $5.00 that you can leave your belongings in. However, I wouldn't leave anything overly valuable in them as they are just made of wood. They will provide you with a lock. There is a bathroom with changing stalls in it. You will be much more comfortable riding back to the ship in dry clothes. Also your transportation will not want you wearing wet clothing.

We brought a rather inexpensive camera with us. I wore a fanny pack and had the camera double bagged in zip lock bags. Even with occasional body submersions the camera did fine! You could also pick up a cheap underwater disposable camera for your visit. Periodically we brought it out and took pictures. That was a great move as I love looking at them to this day. I even have one in my office waiting room. Many people comment on it and that is all it takes to get me talking about the Falls which gets me way behind schedule at times!

You can climb with a group and a guide or you can climb on your own. We climbed on our own and had an absolute blast. I can't remember ever laughing so much. Other than the above you should be all set.

Oh... and you will always find some like beachlady58 above. To each his own but I wouldn't let it put you off. I have no idea how someone can look at the Falls and be unimpressed. They are beautiful.

If you're worried about the falls being too dangerous, there are stairs that you can take instead or exit to while climbing the falls. There will be taxis to take if you don't want to book a tour - just make sure they have JUTA on the back and you agree to a price BEFORE going with the driver. :)

Thanks for all the responces!! I think we're going to make sure we see the falls, definately something I think we'd enjoy and we can manage the money for that. I do think we'll pass on the stingray excursion, maybe i'll do it one day, maybe. Do they have the barbs on the tails? I'm gonna look up some of the other places mentioned. Thanks so much!:D

I do think we'll pass on the stingray excursion, maybe i'll do it one day, maybe. Do they have the barbs on the tails?

The stingrays of Grand Cayman are not captured or altered in any manner. Yes, they do have their barbs.

Archived