Alaska? Clothes on ship and on port?

RCCLismyfav

Can anyone help me, we are doing a fall cruise to Alaska and wanted to know what women wear for formal nights? Same attire as on Caribbean cruise?

Will we be able to lay out in the sun on the ship or should I say be warm enough to lay out? September 14-28

What kind of rain gear? I was thinking about Columbia jackets that have a lining and waterproof and this way we can layer if needed.

Will we need snow boots, how do we waterproof tennis shoes for walking long distance?

What do most wear off the ship? We love our jeans and not much for draw string pants of any kind!

We wore shorts all through the day on sea days but what do people wear this time of the year on the ship?

PLEASE don't post if you are going to be negative.

My husband and I were in NCL in 9/05. We loved it! The dress is much more casual in Alaska, even on the more refined ships. Dinner attire will depend on the cruise line. Usually still very nice clothes, and a suit for the guys on formal night. Not too many tuxedos, but there will be some. NO jeans in the main dining rooms. I brought 1 dress and a skirt that I could wear with different tops. Casual cotton pants on casual eves.

I had a relatively light weight rain coat that I could wear over a turtle neck and sweatshirt. We had some pretty damp weather, so the sweatshirt was nice.:D Jeans during the day will be perfect! You can wear them several times, just bring a small selection of tops and it will lighten your suitcase.:o

We did alot of walking in the ports, but no hiking. Leave the boots at home if you can. We wore tennis shoes everyday and did not have a problem with wet feet. The weather was more drizzly than rain.

HAVE FUN! (Remember your gloves and a hat and scarf!)

think rain, the rejoice if you don't get it. last sept 17-24 we had rain/sleet in juneau, heavy rain in ketchikan..temps were between high 40s to low 50s during the day. i recommend gloves and a warm hat or hood for some days. i would be surprise if laying out by the pool is warm enough. i had water-proof shoes and glad i had them. but i, also, had sprayed my tennis shoes with water-proofing. jeans every day, t-shirts layed with a fleece vest..wind breaker if needed, topped by a rain poncho on rain days.

we did NCL, so the dressest i got was black slack and a nice blouse.

i took shorts, but never got near them. hubby wore shorts the day we left seattle, but after that it was too chilly.

heavy boots and coats will just make more luggage, layering with more light weight stuff that can be mixed and match works well.

it would depend on the ship's air conditoner in the main rooms, as to whether you are comfortable or not. if you are talking about sleeveless, you might want to take a light jacket/shawl/wrap to cover with in case you sit under a vent or want to walk out on deck in the evening.

i don't wear brand names, i just tried to find something that wouldn't take up too much room in the luggage. we took 1 carry one and 1 med-size suitcase..each. the weather was so nice on our flight, we didn't want have to wear a heavy coat on the plane.(or drag it along)

my old fleece vest is actually a lining from an old jacket. i love that vest, washs good..big pockets, toasty.

left seattle --temps in 70s, next day also.

juneau(sept 19) rain turning to sleet..choppy water that did spray up to the tour boat. wore light weight, 3/4 sleeve sweater, fleece vest, rain slicker (had jacket, gloves in tote) temps mid to low 40s

skagway...fog, (chilly night with warming day temps) t-shirt with vest..no jacket..temps by noon over 50 degrees. ( had vest off for most of the day)

glacier bay..temps up to 60s..people in shorts

ketchikan...heavy rain..t-shirt, vest. rain poncho. temps in 50s (too warm for jacket)

back to seattle..back to 70s

skagway (sept 20)

i would say that the weather can be a little freaky

Anybody here heard of Frogg Toggs rain gear? I saw them yesterday while I was at our local outdoors store. They're suppossed to be waterproof but breathable, and were only about $40 for jacket and pants. Seemed to be too good to be true.

Thanks!

dogdoc2002

Anybody here heard of Frogg Toggs rain gear? I saw them yesterday while I was at our local outdoors store. They're suppossed to be waterproof but breathable, and were only about $40 for jacket and pants. Seemed to be too good to be true.

Thanks!

dogdoc2002

I bought my husband Frogg Toggs rain gear for him to keep on our boat. When he first opened the package he bawked at what it looked like. It is very light weight and he was afraid it would not keep him warm when he was out fishing in the rain. Boy was I suprised when he came home from fishing one day and told me how much he liked it. Lightweight, waterproof and warm too!

I can just about guarantee you will not be laying out in the sun like in the Caribbean. Jackets will be on and probably bundled up, but, I've seen plenty of people doing it. :)

You are going at the most unpredictable time for weather. On average, expect temps 40-60, average 3 days of rain. Dark by 7pm.

For cheap raingear, Walmart has a long poncho. :)

Here's a jacket I ordered from Lands End. Lightweight, and waterproof.

I like it because it's a little oversized so you can wear a sweatshirt underneath and still be comfortable. I'm not crazy for the two tone look so I ordered it in black. I've been wearing it through the winter and love it.

http://www.landsend.com/pp/ExtremeSquall174Jacket-68979_130785_59.html?CM_MERCH=PAGE_68979&sid=0722109225680188030

I bought my husband Frogg Toggs rain gear for him to keep on our boat. When he first opened the package he bawked at what it looked like. It is very light weight and he was afraid it would not keep him warm when he was out fishing in the rain. Boy was I suprised when he came home from fishing one day and told me how much he liked it. Lightweight, waterproof and warm too!

Glad to hear this! I saw them advertised in Bass Pro Shop's flier this week and thought for $40 I could give them a try but if they were a bust, that was $40 I could put toward some of those MUCH more expensive Tek things everyone talks about. Since I will prob. use this gear all of one time, I don't want to be out too much but do want something that's useful. Thanks!

For formal I wear the same evening clothes in Alaska as I do in the Caribbean and elsewhere.

That late in the season you may not need shorts even on the ship as it may be too chilly for them.

You have the right idea about layering for when you are off the ship.

We bought waterproof shoes to wear off the ship.

You won't need boots.

You have lots of months to pack, weigh your suitcases and repack.

Enjoy.

For formal I wear the same evening clothes in Alaska as I do in the Caribbean and elsewhere.

That late in the season you may not need shorts even on the ship as it may be too chilly for them.

You have the right idea about layering for when you are off the ship.

We bought waterproof shoes to wear off the ship.

You won't need boots.

You have lots of months to pack, weigh your suitcases and repack.

Enjoy.

What waterproof shoes did you go with?

i had some things packed, that got UN-packed real quick when i saw the projected weather report. shorts were one of them!! our ships didn't have a roof over the pool, i was right...only saw people in the pool on the last night while in victoria.

the water-proofing spray, available at most out-door stoes, shoe care store, worked great on my tennis shoes. i did have a pair of bass leather water-proof shoes with non-skid soles..glad i had them walking down the ramp at auke bay harbor. it can get steep, depending on the water level.

even with re-packing, i had a whole drawer of stuff we didn't wear. do take the wrinkle releaser, needed that to use on the stuff that i had to re-wear:eek: .

When I was last there, I remember people being more formal than in the Caribbean. Mainly because it's colder. More people in khakis and collard shirts like polos than in shorts and t-shirts (or less).

Formal wear is the same. I, like many others, don't get into my formal wear until right before dinner. I'm in the ship at that point. Climate control is good so I feel comfortable. Don't have to worry about rain indoors.

I like the "think rain, then rejoice if you don't have it" statement. That's what I did. It's all about layering. I just used a track suit that I wore out. Lightest, water resistant thing I owned at the time. Come to think of it, I still don't have a lightweight jacket for rain.

You can just buy a waterproofing spray for your tennis shoes. Might work on some of your clothes too. About $7 a can.

Archived