Tahiti with a Toddler?

ShelbysMom

We are just about ready to book the Tahitian Princess (Marquesas) for November. We will be taking my then almost 2 year old son. Has anyone taken a toddler on this cruise? I'm not worried about what to do with him on-board. I'm most concerned about whether we can take him on any excursions. My husband and I figure that we will take turns doing things that my son definitely can't do, like snorkeling. But can I bring my son along on say a circle island tour?

Appreciate hearing from anyone who has done this cruise with a toddler.

Jo

Ia Orana,

I would not suggest anyone take a toddler to Tahiti :confused: perhaps the Caribbean. Tahiti is primitive and romantic etc. The flight is long. The ship does not cater to children of any age. They do not have carseats or seatbelts for that matter. There was a couple on our cruise in April 06 who had one toddler and a baby. They said they were having fun when we asked. However, they did not have anybody with them to watch there children etc. We felt sorry for them and even offered to watch there kids so they could snorkle together and they passed. Think LONG and HARD on taking a Toddler to Tahiti.

I believe most of the tours use 4wd. We did not do circle Island tours because almost at every port they went to the ancient temples and a belvedere lookout. I believe at one of the Islands there is a Tahitian Village tour. The usual options are rent a car, do a tour by 4wd or by boat. The boats do not even have lifepreserves.

I loved Tahiti, I wish the best for you. Save Tahiti for just you and your significant other.

I would think you could take them on a circle island tour, but the ones we took lasted several hours and were hot (in open air taxis and that South Pacific Sun is brutal). I think the duration would be too long for a toddler (my cousin took a 4 year old on an island tour of St. Maarten and they were miserable and cancelled their tour of St. Thomas). I agree with the above poster, I have travelled with my kids several times on cruises to the Caribbean (now they are teenagers and pretty experienced travellers) but I wouldn't even consider taking a child to Tahiti, for all of the reasons mentioned.

I was recently on a btb TP cruise and there were no children of any age on either cruise. Also, the flight from LAX to Tahiti is long (8 hours) and can be uncomfortable for adults, nevermind children. The temperatures inTahiti during the wet season are very, very hot and humid and you can get a real bad sunburn even when it's cloudy. Unless you take your own car seat, I would not recommend a road tour. The roads are very bumpy and I wouldn't risk an injury to an unstrapped child.

Your kid would be miserable and so would you. Get another family member to watch your kid. Go alone with your spouse and use the magic and romance of Tahiti to strengthen the bonds of your marriage even more. I think there's also something to be said for teaching children about having some things to look forward to in life, like a trip to Tahiti.;)

Dear Princess,

Congratulations on your upcoming Honeymoon.

Unsolicited advice: Don't spend Tahiti indoors.

Emerce youselves in the culture. Let the pace of life and the very magic of Tahiti envade your very pores. Get to know the native people attempt the language, ask questions. The soo verry Gracious. (ecept the french in Moorea).

Buy Pareos for both of you (yes the men wear them too) in the Market "le marche" in Pappette before you set sail. Or better yet by traditional material at the yardage store for only $3-5. And Wear them.

Some words. Ia Orana - Welcome or Greetings

Nana - Goodbye or Salutation

Maruru - Thank you

Maruru Roa - Thank you Very much

And Please lift a Hinano for me.

We are currently trying to beg, borrow and tempted to steal to get back. Next time will be pre, post and Cruise.

Enjoy.

Avoid the Flowers in the Market if you are allergic. My DW spent the entire cruise fighting an allergie the went away as soon as we arrived at the IC for our Post Cruise stay.

P.S. After I posted I see you have been before. I did not need to advise. I am sure you already feel it in your bones.

Your kid would be miserable and so would you. Get another family member to watch your kid. Go alone with your spouse and use the magic and romance of Tahiti to strengthen the bonds of your marriage even more. I think there's also something to be said for teaching children about having some things to look forward to in life, like a trip to Tahiti.;)

That's a little harsh, isn't it? Miserable?

My husband and I are perfectly capable of having magic and romance in the presence of our son. In fact, our marraige is strengthened by the ability to share these types of experiences with our children. DS has already been to Hawaii with us and none of us were miserable on that trip. Now I wonder if people didn't believe us when we said we were having a good time watching the sunrise on Haleakala or on the catamaran snorkeling trip, and felt sorry for us, like pixrman. Luckily, we won't let that prospect deter us from vacationing where we want, with whom we want. ;)

Jo, have you thought about doing a land trip instead? The Polynesian people are really wonderfully friendly and warm most places, and being on land, the little one could be free to toddle and explore. Get him some baby reef-shoes and he can splash around on the beach! Just a thought.

I was recently on a btb TP cruise and there were no children of any age on either cruise. Also, the flight from LAX to Tahiti is long (8 hours) and can be uncomfortable for adults, nevermind children. The temperatures inTahiti during the wet season are very, very hot and humid and you can get a real bad sunburn even when it's cloudy. Unless you take your own car seat, I would not recommend a road tour. The roads are very bumpy and I wouldn't risk an injury to an unstrapped child.

You have any for us?

Ralph, Pam, Cindi & Rick

Ralphie, what is it that you want?:D I have pictures for you but no address. Ask Pam to send me an e-mail with your address and I will send you a disk of our adventure in Nuku Hiva.

ShelbysMom

Tahiti is unique - much more pristine with far less tourists than Hawaii. Roads are very rough, amenities off the ship (except for Papeete) that might be needed for a young child are far and few between. Also sun is extremely strong. We loved it when we sailed the TP in May 2006. We are going back this June on the PG because French Polynesia stole our hearts. However, I would definitely not advise bringing a toddler along and since you posted to this board I assume that you wanted input from people that have been on this cruise. There were no children on the ship when we sailed and from what I gathered there were few amenities for couples with young children. It's all very nice to want to strengthen your marriage bonds with your children, but Tahiti is definitely, without a doubt, the most "couples" escape imagineable.

I think you should go and take your son with you. One of two things will happen: you will prove everyone wrong (including virtually everyone who goes to the South Pacific who leaves their kids at home) or you will have spent a fortune going a very far distance to a very primitive place with limited activites and wondered why you did not go to Florida instead. P.S. In Florida, the beaches are better, doctors if you need them are plentiful, and when it rains, you can go to the mall. In the South Pacific, not so much.

That's a little harsh, isn't it? Miserable?

My husband and I are perfectly capable of having magic and romance in the presence of our son. In fact, our marraige is strengthened by the ability to share these types of experiences with our children. DS has already been to Hawaii with us and none of us were miserable on that trip. Now I wonder if people didn't believe us when we said we were having a good time watching the sunrise on Haleakala or on the catamaran snorkeling trip, and felt sorry for us, like pixrman. Luckily, we won't let that prospect deter us from vacationing where we want, with whom we want. ;)

By miserable I mean an 8+ hour plane flight over...miserable for a toddler to sit still and quiet that long of a time (don't forget to factor in 2 hours before at the airport), the sun in Tahiti is extreme...one sunburn can ruin the whole trip...I have taken my 2 year old to Hawaii and we had a wonderful time. Hawaii is not Tahiti..there are lots of great beaches in Hawaii to play in..the motus and "beaches" in Tahiti are covered with prickly rocks and leaves..hardly the stuff to wiggle a baby's toes in. The 4x4 tours are like an Indiana Jones adventure....I'm sure your son would not hate you for leaving him home with Grandma or another family member..in fact, I doubt he would even remember you left without him! And another thing, if you are going to ask for opinions on these boards, you should realize not everyone is going to agree with your thinking. Have a wonderful vacation.

Dear Princess,

Congratulations on your upcoming Honeymoon.

Unsolicited advice:

P.S. After I posted I see you have been before. I did not need to advise. I am sure you already feel it in your bones.

Yes, but I went with the "wrong" person...told myself at that time that I would return someday...with Mr. Right. Left a prebooking on board, knowing I would someday return. Then I met Mr. Right, and he wanted to visit Tahiti, so, fast forward and here we are!! Thanks for the advice..I agree with all of it, except the flowers are gorgeous!!!! First thing I'm gonna do is buy us some for the cabin!!

Ralphie, what is it that you want?:D I have pictures for you but no address. Ask Pam to send me an e-mail with your address and I will send you a disk of our adventure in Nuku Hiva.

Pam's computer crashed right after we got back and everything was lost, so I'm going to go out on a limb here and give you my e-mail (californiaoldman@yahoo.com) Shoot me your address and we can exchange cd's.

Ralphie

I think Princess's comments were quite frank. Even though not sugar-coated, they are true. If you want to vacation with your 2 y.o. instead of leaving him with relatives (perfectly understandable), pick another destination. Hawaii is different than Tahiti, and an infant is different than a (mobile and energetic) toddler. There is really very little for a toddler in French Polynesia. If you pass on the in-water and off-road interior activities, you're missing most of the magic of the destination. There were a few children under twelve when we went on the cruise... they were all misbehaving by a few days into the cruise, and I think it was mostly because they were bored.

We are just about ready to book the Tahitian Princess (Marquesas) for November. We will be taking my then almost 2 year old son. Has anyone taken a toddler on this cruise? I'm not worried about what to do with him on-board. I'm most concerned about whether we can take him on any excursions. My husband and I figure that we will take turns doing things that my son definitely can't do, like snorkeling. But can I bring my son along on say a circle island tour?

Appreciate hearing from anyone who has done this cruise with a toddler.

Jo

I'm curious. Why haven't you looked at the Paul Gauguin? Their 10 night cruise 24 october has a promotion for 3rd person free.

So, for $2795 per person (two of you), you can have a superior ten night cruise on a luxury vessel with a sports platform that will allow you to snorkel off the back of the ship (while one babysits), and includes all beverages, tips, and overnights in three ports.

Private motu included.

PG has tubs even in the smallest cabins. On TP, you will have to book a mini-suite to get a tub. No fun putting a toddler in a shower. For a mini-suite, TP costs more than a cabin on PG.

Also, the days at sea on TP, does your toddler get seasick? Look for a cruise with limited open ocean sailing.

TP and PG are both small, but you could look into a Society Island only sailing on PG to avoid the open ocean portion.

No matter what, enjoy the trip. Recognize it could be challenging, since Tahiti does not have good transportation that would adequately prtect a child. The "circle island" tours are in open trucks (think hay wagon ride) over very rough terrian.

Many excursions are drift snorkels, or go in from rocky beaches.

I would opt for the difference in cost and book the all-inclusive PG.

Just one comment about the above description of the PG--you can't actually snorkel off the sports platform. You can windsurf, and kayak and dive, but not snorkel. But there are the three beach-day opportunities that would be nice for a toddler (one full day at Taha'a, and two half days in Bora bora). Just make sure to get him a pair of reef shoes. And lots of sunscreen, hats and cover-ups. The other nice thing is that the PG is entirely country-club casual, no silly formal nights.

Actually, PG has 7, 10, 11, and 14 day itineraries. But the 7 day itinerary is great with a pre and/or post OWB stay. :)

Isn't this the truth. The 7 day PG itinerary has more shore time than the 10 day TP once you leave Papeete.

I looked at both.

If you are into "Cruising" than take TP. If you are into time in French Polynesia, then take the 7 day PG and spend more time on the islands.

Actually, I found an incredible itinerary for next April that we are considering booking. The 9 day one. Here is the itinerary.

Apr 26 Saturday Papeete, Tahiti Depart 22:00

Apr 27 Sunday Raiatea 12:00 Depart 18:00

Apr 28 Monday Taha'a Motu Mahana 09:00

Apr 29 Tuesday Taha'a Motu Mahana Depart 13:00

Apr 30 Wednesday Bora Bora 08:00

May 1 Thursday Bora Bora Depart 18:00

May 2 Friday Huahine 08:00 Depart 17:00

May 3 Saturday Moorea 09:00

May 4 Sunday Moorea Depart 17:00

May 4 Sunday Papeete, Tahiti 19:30

May 5 Monday Papeete, Tahiti Disembarks

Taha'a is a private island stop, which you would pay big bucks to do from TP.

On Bora Bora, there is also a "motu" choice included. Those things are "pay" on TP. This is an incredible itinerary in French Polynesia, with minimal time at sea. And minimal open ocean time.

Actually, I found an incredible itinerary for next April that we are considering booking. The 9 day one.

Annie,

You're right! That IS a great itinerary. :)

Personally, I would not have wanted to do Tahiti with a toddler. But then again, I would not have wanted to do Tahiti with a cane, breathing problems, a wheelchair etc and these were all things that were on the TP. If someone in a wheelchair or an oxygen tank etc can enjoy tahiti then I think a 2 year old can too. There were a handful of kids on our cruise ranging in age from about 3-18. The little girl who was around 3 was always full of smiles - having a blast so I think it depends on the type of kid you have. If your child travels well, you know you are not going to be able to do a lot WITH your spouse and you know what you are getting into then go for it. I would def bring a bag full of toys etc aas there really isn't anything on the ship for a 3 year old (i had a hard time finding things for a 30 year old lol) - the ports are the reason you go on the TP. If your child likes to watch movies bring a portable dvd player - all the kids on the plane had these and kept them occupied. Also works well for the room since the TV stations don't show much. I would book tours through Princess if you are bringing your son and ask them if it's appropriate for a young child, however there were some private tours i saw that were suitable to bring a child along (lots of families go to tahiti and stay at hotels so we saw a bunch of tours with kids on it one day in bora bora - i think it was called bora bora lagoon cruises. The kids were all in the water with their parents and they all had on those floaty devices). I would look into a snorkeling tour that has a stable boat and maybe goes near the shore so that one of you can watch your son near the shore while the other snorkels around so you'd have the option of either staying on the boat or being in the water with your son. The circle island tour in tahiti was on an air conditioned bus, all the other tours are on 4X4s and stuffy buses with no air. If you wanted to do circle island tours on the other islands i would recommend renting a car. there are plenty of "water tours" on boats that would be safe for a child (and they do have life preservers at least the ones I was on). Look for boats that have seats, are covered and a little roomy.

It doesn't sound like the ideal situation to some but if you love traveling with your child I am sure you will find a way to make tahiti wonderful no matter what.

• 7 months later...

We are back from the 10/31 TP Marquesas cruise and had a wonderful time, 2 year old and all.

BTW, we did look into the PG cruises when we were planning, but couldn't find one that fit our schedule that had availability.

DS was an absolute delight. By the end of the cruise, we were starting to get embarassed by all of the compliments that we got from our fellow passengers as to how well behaved he was. After the response that I got here when I first posted, I was afraid that we would be outcasts on the ship for bringing him, but luckily, that was not the case.

We had a minisuite midships port side that had more than enough room, even with a crib. The balcony was great and it was a real treat to have the bathtub. I am afraid that I am now spoiled and will only want minisuites.

The one mistake we made was taking him on Dr Poole's dolphin watch. The seas were high once we got out past the reef and he got scared. I wasn't so thrilled either, so I could empathize. We took him on the glass bottom boat in Bora Bora. Much better experience. We also took him on a half day bus tour in Tahiti on the last day, more to kill time than anything else. He ended up getting a nap on the bus so that was good.

DH did the drift snorkel in Raiatea and I did the helmut dive in Bora Bora. We both had a blast. So we did excursions with all of us and also separately so we got to do ones that we couldn't do with DS. We had two great beach days as a family in Rangiroa (Hiva Oa was cancelled on this trip, so we got extra time in Rangiroa, which worked out great for us).

We ate in the dining room every night except one, when we went to Sterlings to celebrate my birthday. We enjoyed that a lot. We found the dining room selections were somewhat hit or miss. We also had a wait team that seemed to try hard, but just couldn't get it together. We saw the assistant waiter on our flight home, so maybe his heart just wasn't in it since he was headed home after our cruise. That was the only downside of the cruise, and nothing to even come close to spoiling it.

I am glad you had a wonderful time.

Was it as Romantic as you expected? or was it just another family vacation.

We found it too special a time together to share.

I am truly pleased you were able to have the vacation you anticipated.

God Bless.

Archived