Has the Amalegro been launched?

mattie00

We are booked for the 14-day Ultimate River Cruise departing June 24th on Amadeus Amalegro which was supposed to be launched this month. Has anyone got any information? Is anyone else on either the 14-day cruise or the Prague/Trier portion of this cruise?

The Amalegro should be on her way to Budapest. She´s scheduled for Vienna tomorrow and Friday. Check the webcam (which is currently down, hopefully back tomorrow)

http://live1.truelook.com/german/face/sqface.jsp?name=/srtgermany/truelook2&func=live&overlay=default&width=640&height=480

I don´t know if the Amalegro is docking at Handelskai or Nussdorf. If she´s at Handelskai she should be on the webcam.

A friend of mine is on the next cruise (Budapest - Prague). Someone in Regensburg promised to get me a photo but I haven´t heard back from him.

steamboats

Thank you Steamboats. Do you know if there is an English version for the webcam? If not, I will use my German/English dictionary to decipher. This will be our first trip to Europe and we are looking forward to touring by riverboat instead of bus and avoiding the hassle of unpacking/packing every day. Being from Cochrane, Alberta (near Calgary) we don't have a lot of lakes/rivers (or oceans!) and look forward to vacationing on or near water. We do, however, have the magnificent Rocky Mountains! I appreciate all and any information that you can provide. We start with 2 nights in Budapest pre-cruise and end with 5 nights in Paris.

mattie00,

The webcam is working now (sorry, no English version). There are currently four ships to the right of the bridge. No 3 is the Amalegro. Check the panorama view, there you will see two bridges. Click and drag inside the panorama view to the right side of the left bridge. A orange frame will appear and so you can get a zoomed picture in the upper window. You can zoom in more doing the same in the upper window. Sorry, if my explanations are not very precise. The buttons on the right side are "Bild senden" (email photo), "Bild speichern" (save photo) and "Bild ins Fotoalbum" (save photo in an album).

steamboats

We heartily agree that Canmore is a pretty place. We moved out 4 years ago from the rat race of Calgary and still commute to our jobs (only 3 more years -- yeh!). BTW, really enjoyed all your reviews/pictures from last year! Have you moved yet? I am originally from Kingston (41 years ago) and my relatives are still in Muskoka and Cumberland.

• 2 weeks later...

Mattie,

Hello...my daughter and myself will be on the same trip on the Prague-Paris portion. Would LOVE to correspond and exchange notes and info. One thing we are trying to figure out is whether to take the bus from Trier to Paris...or venture off ourselves and take the train into Paris (which is quicker...a little over 3 hrs.).

Hi McIntyre,

I have been monitoring the boards fairly closely and hope to pick up more tips. Our tour is a 21-day tour commencing in Calgary, Alberta and ending in Paris. We have extended our Paris stay by 2 nights. The transportation from Trier to Paris is part of our tour and includes a stop in Luxembourg so I haven't a clue about train vs bus. Perhaps someone else has advice for that. Looking forward to keeping in touch. Yours is the first response I have had regarding this particular tour and, hopefully, now that we are getting closer we may see more activity on the Board.

Mattie,

Yes, our transfer to Paris from Trier and the hotel are included in our package too. However, I wasn't really happy about the location of the Paris hotel and have decided to opt out and book our own. Now I have to decide whether to keep the bus transfer with stop in Luxembourg, or to venture out on our own and take the train from Trier to Paris. That would be quite adventuresome for me! LOL. Altho my daughter (who is 20) is all for it! :D I just have to decide.

Mattie,

The Sofitel Bercy was the included hotel in our package too. However, altho it looks like a beautiful hotel we opted to stay at a boutique hotel closer to the "attractions" near the Arc de Triomphe rather than staying out in the 12th district where we will need to rely more on the metro. We are only in Paris for 3 days and want to make the most of the time there. We are staying in the package hotel in Prague tho...the Renaissance.

Hi Mc,

Our travel agent advised us that it is extremely easy access to all the attractions and we got such a great rate for our 3-day extension. What hotel did you book in Paris? We start our trip in Budapest -- also a Sofitel on the river. Ours is a 14-day cruise and we will drop off and pick up passengers from Prague for the rest of the journey to Trier.

Hotel Regencia Elysees is the name of the hotel. I am so excited for this trip! Have you ever done river cruising before? My husband and myself did a Deilman cruise from Berlin to Prague a couple of years ago, and I just fell in love with the whole river cruising idea! I know my daughter is a bit young for the usual river cruising passengers....but she is very laid back and is really looking forward to this trip too. I would have LOVED to start at Budapest like you are doing...but our schedules just wouldn't accomodate that this year. But I hope to go there someday soon!

No, never river cruised before. This is also our first trip to Europe and we knew that we wanted a tour to orient ourselves before venturing on our own. We have held off because we weren't too enamoured about getting on and off a bus and packing/unpacking every day. The river cruise seemed like a marvelous option! From what I have been reading on the message boards, it would appear that river cruising is only going to get more popular as time progresses. We are in our 50's and enjoy interacting with 10 to 90 year olds. Each age has something to offer. I have also seen people posting on the boards who are in their 20's and 30's so I am sure your daughter will have some contemporaries to visit with as well as seniors.

Mattie....I am "nearing" 50 myself! And like you, the first time I was ever in Europe was that riverboat on Deilman from Berlin to Prague. It was a GREAT introduction to travelling in Europe IMO. I am a "bit" more adventursome now...and have been back to Europe once since that trip....and will be back twice more this year...and one trip already planned for next year. My husband says that I am like a "dam that has been broken" now that I've ventured to Europe! LOL. Altho, I am STILL a bit apprehensive about the whole "train" thing tho! :D . My daughter is not worried one bit about her age and feeling out of place on the ship. I think she is going to bring along a sketch book actually, and hopes to find "some" solitude up on deck to do some sketches while we are moving along the river. I'll be next to her with a glass of wine! :D

Archived