Where do I put it ???

I have a question that I hope someone can answer. I am sailing to Key west and Cozumel on the enchantment May 3rd. I would like to buy some alcohol either on the ship or in port. My question is... do I have to check it in for my plane ride home. Or if its packed for travel is it able to be carried on???

Thanks in advance for your help. I need to know if I need to bring an extra suitcase for those things

It depends on the layout of the airport from which you are flying.

IF IF IF the liquor store is inside the security perimeter, they will let you carry it on, because it has all been through security, and you haven't brought it in from outside the secured area.

I don't know if any mainland U.S. airports have this configuration, though.

(in other words, you can't buy it on the ship or in a port and THEN carry it to the airport and carry it on the plane. But if you can buy it IN the airport WITHIN the secured area, you may be able to)

It depends on the layout of the airport from which you are flying.

IF IF IF the liquor store is inside the security perimeter, they will let you carry it on, because it has all been through security, and you haven't brought it in from outside the secured area.

I don't know if any mainland U.S. airports have this configuration, though.

(in other words, you can't buy it on the ship or in a port and THEN carry it to the airport and carry it on the plane. But if you can buy it IN the airport WITHIN the secured area, you may be able to)

Oh, I forgot about that scenario. :o

But, if for some reason you have to go outside the secure area at a connecting airport, you won't be allowed to take it back into the airport with you. Right, Merion_Mom?

Oh, I forgot about that scenario. :o

But, if for some reason you have to go outside the secure area at a connecting airport, you won't be allowed to take it back into the airport with you. Right, Merion_Mom?

Right. ;)

And I agree with cb at sea..................I would have to see $150 booze for sale at $28 for it to be worth the aggravation. Even a 100% markup wouldn't entice me. If I can buy it in the PA state store (yes, we have a marvelous state-controlled system, where every bottle sold still has a tax on it from the Johnstown flood! ) for $40 but the price in the Caribbean is $20, it is just not worth it.

Same here...I live in one of those lovely states with antiquated liquor laws (and, thus, HIGH liquor taxes)...and even though I can buy 5 bottles of Cruzan rum on the ship for $25 ($15 a bottle here), it is probably not worth the hassle. Though, $5 "souvenirs" for my office mates might be much appreciated! :)

It's not really savings I am worried about, Most of my BF's friends just want that as a souvineer The general request from his frinds is Bring me some tequila man. lol. I guess we can buy a few smaller bottles and check them in our luggage.

Thanks so much for your help. m

Ms-

We returned last month from a cruise, and had purchased alcohol. We were fortunate enough, to have a post-cruise stay, so we had plenty of time to have it shipped home. In fact, it arrived before we did. :D

If this isn't an option for you, I'd have to say forget it. The airline won't let you carry it on, and to wrap and haul several bottles of alcohol, wouldn't be worth it to me.

Nancy

Ms-

We returned last month from a cruise, and had purchased alcohol. We were fortunate enough, to have a post-cruise stay, so we had plenty of time to have it shipped home. In fact, it arrived before we did. :D

If this isn't an option for you, I'd have to say forget it. The airline won't let you carry it on, and to wrap and haul several bottles of alcohol, wouldn't be worth it to me.

Nancy

Perhaps if I bought tequila here and tell his friends it came from mexico it would be less of a headache;) At least MY girlfriends just want "cheap girly stuff "that wont take up any space in my luggage.

I suppose it's always worth a shot to ask the store if they can ship back to the states, and if so, how much. We got a heck of a deal in St. Maarten, but we knew we could ship it ourselves once we reached the states, so it was a no-brainer. I guess you could always pick the best 1-2, (or possibly 3-4) best friends, and bring them a bottle back. ;)

I guess I didn't mention that alcohol wasn't the only thing that was shipped home...I was sort of embarrassed by the size of that box! :rolleyes:

Archived