Should RCCL bring back the $9.00 consumption fee??

Bring back the $9.00 consumption fee????  

275 members have voted

1. 1. Bring back the $9.00 consumption fee????

• YES
    • NO
    • Who cares

If this program was brought back, the cruise line would have more control over what is consumed and how much. This would also stop people from smuggling booze on board. Even if they put a limit on how much u purchased for in room consumption, they would still make a killing to bring this program back. And apparently it is all about the bottom line at this point..What do you think???

If this program was brought back, the cruise line would have more control over what is consumed and how much. This would also stop people from smuggling booze on board. Even if they put a limit on how much u purchased for in room consumption, they would still make a killing to bring this program back. And apparently it is all about the bottom line at this point..What do you think???

Booze will always be smuggled on board by passengers, no matter what the rule. It always was and always will be. Some people do not want to buy from RCCL on the ship and prefer to bring their own brands. ;)

I would like to see the pay and take back to the cabin deal brought back. I do not like the thought of paying $6.04 for an oz of Kahula. :eek: I would rather buy the bottle, pay the fee and have it in my cabin.

JMO

I feel it is time that we speak up...AND LOUDLY...We know RCI reads these boards, and have seen things cut short, because of these boards. It is time we ban together and make our message heard. This is very upsetting to me, and I am sure many others.

Why have a shop that sells liquor onboard if there is no consumption fee. Use that space for something else as the limitations of the amount of duty free liquor is so small that it isn't really worth purchasing anway, IMO.

I think that I will boycot all purchased drinks once on a cruise as my form of "tilting at windmills." :rolleyes:

RCI used to allow you to pay $9.00 extra in the store and take any bottle you purchase back to your cabin. It seems that any liquads are being taken out of bags at baggage screening time before the bags are taken onto the ship. If they are taking bottles, before you get them than what is the point??? If they start taking stuff out of all the bags screened, imagine how much they will get if they do it 100% for every bag. SO my point is, if you know you can pay the $9.00 onboard, you are still getting a pretty good deal, it will be less hassle and you wont have to be worry about getting that note or page to report to the pursers desk to open a bottle of water and have the purser smell it. Get it??

it would def. make us happy to have this option again- we like a drink in our cabin while getting ready for dinner - pain for dh to go to bar to get it and bring it back - ice has melted and watered it down by then....

suffice it to say YES please bring this option back !

I totally agree with you. I would be more than willing to pay even more than the $9. I do not understand why RCI cannot bring themselves to sell booze for in-cabin consumption. The Greed Factor just seems to get in the way. Right now it is impossible to buy a wine package and have it delivered to your cabin. You can buy a wine package and have it delivered to the dining room...but NOT your cabin...THIS MAKES ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE TO ME!!! RCI's policy is insane...if you can drink those stupid nips for $8 why can't you buy a bottle instead??? If you can have a bottle of wine in the dining room...why can't you have one in your cabin??? This whole mess reminds me of CATCH 22!!! RCI is failing miserably in providing these services...the only alternative is to smuggle.

I totally agree with you. I would be more than willing to pay even more than the $9. I do not understand why RCI cannot bring themselves to sell booze for in-cabin consumption. The Greed Factor just seems to get in the way. Right now it is impossible to buy a wine package and have it delivered to your cabin. You can buy a wine package and have it delivered to the dining room...but NOT your cabin...THIS MAKES ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE TO ME!!! RCI's policy is insane...if you can drink those stupid nips for $8 why can't you buy a bottle instead??? If you can have a bottle of wine in the dining room...why can't you have one in your cabin??? This whole mess reminds me of CATCH 22!!! RCI is failing miserably in providing these services...the only alternative is to smuggle.

could it be that they dont want people buying a bottle of Crown Royal and drinking the whole bottle and getting trashed and causing issues on board, or letting minor get some too....just a thought.? I know you can buy drinks at the bars, but I think you'll be allot less tempted to drink that much when paying 5.00 per drink per se' Again, just a thought....

I have been wondering if the sales in the onboard liquor store have dropped since the new TSA rulings in carrying liquids. I can't be bothered buying liquor to take home any more. It's too much of a pain when you fly home from port. But I would buy a bottle (or 2) to have in my cabin.

I work for the TSA in Orlando and I can tell you we see a lot of alcohol come through still...I ask people if they are told on the ship about not being able to carry it on flights home, and I get one answer....NO!

could it be that they dont want people buying a bottle of Crown Royal and drinking the whole bottle and getting trashed and causing issues on board, or letting minor get some too....just a thought.? I know you can buy drinks at the bars, but I think you'll be allot less tempted to drink that much when paying 5.00 per drink per se' Again, just a thought....

The vast majority of complaints regarding drunken behavior come from pax who ARE IN THE BARS. The pax can get just as drunk at the bars. The lines have no problems serving as much booze as they can to the pax.

I asked on my last cruise why they did away with this option and the guy in the gift shop/liquor store told me that RCCL no longer owns the liquor store on board, they now contract/lease it out, and that is why they stopped this choice. I am not sure how accurate that information is but I know he has been on the ship a long time, I have seen him there for the 5 yrs I have been sailing on the Rhapsody.

If you can have a bottle of wine in the dining room...why can't you have one in your cabin??? services...the only

It is my understanding that if you purchase the wine package and open a bottle in the dining room and do not finish it....they will allow you to take it to your room OR will recap it for another time in the dining room. Someone at our table recently was offered the option of taking the unfinished bottle.....

It is my understanding that if you purchase the wine package and open a bottle in the dining room and do not finish it....they will allow you to take it to your room OR will recap it for another time in the dining room. Someone at our table recently was offered the option of taking the unfinished bottle.....

That has been our experience on the last two cruises. Although, the last one was last September. I think I will just buy an extra bottle at dinner, have a glass of each variety and then recork to take back to my balcony.

NO, I won't fall over, cause I sit my happy self in the lounger and soak in the atmosphere. :D

I just don't think I can bring myself to boycott a drink altogether.

Another "YES" vote here. I would be more than happy to pay that price to take a nice bottle of Baileys back to my cabin.

On our past cruise two weeks ago, out of 5 cabins in our group, and many suitcases, only one cabin ended up with their liquor still in their suitcase when delivered to the cabin. The rest of us received the dreaded white piece of paper. "you may pick up your liquor after the cruise". :(

When we went to get our liquor at the end of the cruise, there was a lot of liquor waiting to be picked up. This is the first time this has happened to us in 5 cruises.

Honestly, its not the price of the liquor, its the inconvenience. I love to have a drink or two on my balcony in the evening. Its not the same to have to go out and get 4 drinks at a time for DH and I.

Bringing liquor onboard doesn't stop me from buying it while sitting around the pool, or while I'm in the diningroom, or while sitting in a bar. I just want it for my cabin. Is that asking too much? Guess so. :rolleyes:

Another "YES" vote here. I would be more than happy to pay that price to take a nice bottle of Baileys back to my cabin.

Honestly, its not the price of the liquor, its the inconvenience. I love to have a drink or two on my balcony in the evening. Its not the same to have to go out and get 4 drinks at a time for DH and I.

Bringing liquor onboard doesn't stop me from buying it while sitting around the pool, or while I'm in the diningroom, or while sitting in a bar. I just want it for my cabin. Is that asking too much? Guess so. :rolleyes:

I completely agree I love to have a drink on the balcony while I'm waiting patiently for her to get ready. I still buy plenty of drinks at the pool and the bars. Maybe they can just limit how much you can purchase and bring back to the cabin.

It's all about the convenience.

Archived