Claridges or Marriot hotels - Buenos Aires

dabear

Has anyone stayed at either hotel and can you advise if they were well located for shopping, restaurants etc. Marriot has a great rate w breakfast if you are a AAA member but without it (we don't belong), the rate is substantially higher. Claridges got same reviews for a 4 star hotel but is more reasonable.

We stayed at the Claridge Hotel in Feb of this year,following a 14 night cruise of South America.I thought the Hotel was first class,staff were very helpful,free use of the internet,but the best for me was its location,just a few yards from the famous Florida Street,where I shopped till I dropped!!I have stayed in more up market hotels but the Claridge was more than I expected of a 4* Hotel in Buenos Aires.We took a trip to the Igauzu Falls staying over night and then returning to the Claridge and they looked after our luggage.If ever I go back to Buenos Aires the Claridge would be my choice.

Other than leather items what did you shop for in the plaza? Did you ever get to one of the markets? Were there many hanicrafts to purchase near the Claridge? Is the Claridge within walking district of Puerto Madero? We do alot of walking.

I have not been able to book the Claridge for February 2008 because their website will only go to the end of Janurary. Sorry for all the questions. Thanks for all the help you have given on the SA board.

Has anyone stayed at either hotel and can you advise if they were well located for shopping, restaurants etc. Marriot has a great rate w breakfast if you are a AAA member but without it (we don't belong), the rate is substantially higher. Claridges got same reviews for a 4 star hotel but is more reasonable.

I stayed at the Marriott in BA for a week 2 years ago. It is right at the end of the Florida Street which is great for tourist shopping. The hotel probably dates from the 50's but is well kept. The staff in the concierge lounge was really great. I didn't eat in the restaurant, but enjoyed the bar below the lobby. It is kind of expensive, but my wife and I liked the atmosphere. Have fun in BA! It is truly a great city and easy to navigate.

I have stayed at the Marriott Plaza, I would like to say that it has been in business for decades (before it was a Marriott), just like the Claridge. They are both very well situated and I would say go tothe one where you will feel that your buck goes the furthest.

As for leather goods, shop around and compare - try some of the side streets and up Avenida Santa Fe

Archived