Ushuaia--Tiera del Fuego; End of the World Train; Catamaran tour; or walk in town?

Tarheelbelle

Will be in Ushuaia for only about half a day. Which of the above tours would be most recommended and doable in that time period? [Of course, I want to see penguins, but I believe I will see them on the 2-week Antarctica and South Georgia part of the cruise, especially during zodiac landings.] Is the town itself worth the time to walk about and go to museums?

Thanks!

There's not much to see in town. We took a local taxi from the pier to Tierra del Fuego National Park, the same route the train takes, and then further into the Park. Some of it is a dirt road, but beautiful scenery makes it worthwhile. I'm not sure about a Catamaran, it's cold and windy in Ushuaia with pretty choppy water.

Don't waste your money with the train. Really hokey. There are bus tours and private cars that run the EXACT route as the train, except obviously on the road. And when you get to Tierra del Fuego, take special notice of the sign at the entrance (and take a picture). Yellow/brown, has distance to Alaska in kilometers. If you get a chance to go to the Arctic Circle in Alaska, take note of that sign. EXACTLY the same sign-yellow/brown, same design. I have always wondered if the same designer made the two signs. We learned about it in 2002 from a gentleman who was riding a bicycle from South America to the Arctic Circle. We saw him again on his way to Prudhoe Bay in 2003 in Alaska. Truly fascinating.

We took a taxi with a driver who spoke English and he took us to Tierra del Fuego where we were able to take the photo of the end of the land mass and to walk down to the water. It is not that far out of the town.

If you did this, you would then have time to take a walk around the town which is not that big.

Jennie

If you like mountains and hiking, take a taxi up to the ski lift for some great views of the Beagle Channel and your ship. You can hike quite a ways up, but it gets pretty strenuous after a while. Or, just take pictures and ride the lift back down.

If you like mountains and hiking, take a taxi up to the ski lift for some great views of the Beagle Channel and your ship. You can hike quite a ways up, but it gets pretty strenuous after a while. Or, just take pictures and ride the lift back down.

That sounds like something I would really enjoy too. Great idea!

• 3 weeks later...

We opted for one of the Catamaran tours this past February. We were on an Oceania cruise from Valparaiso to B.A. There are five or six catamaran companies on the land end of the pier where the ships land. They each have kiosks and you also walk by their catamarans along the dock. We had a calm, sunny day and the catamaran tour, which lasted about two hours was outstanding. We saw lots of sea lions and cormorants as well as magnificent scenery. The tours cost about US$25 to $30.

We opted for one of the Catamaran tours this past February. We were on an Oceania cruise from Valparaiso to B.A. There are five or six catamaran companies on the land end of the pier where the ships land. They each have kiosks and you also walk by their catamarans along the dock. We had a calm, sunny day and the catamaran tour, which lasted about two hours was outstanding. We saw lots of sea lions and cormorants as well as magnificent scenery. The tours cost about US$25 to $30.

Unfortunately when I went to the link for the MSNBC article I got a page not found error. Couldn't find it when I searched the site but I was able to still find the article in Google's cache. That link is:

http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:4S_d2jpM-_gJ:www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17928971/+http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17928971/&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us&client=firefox-a

Also found a pic of the sign at http://www.well.com/~dreyer/All_htmpix/htm38_41/Img40.html

I'm new to the forms....Trying to read all of the posts on SA... we are booked on the Dec 18th cruise out of Rio around Cape Horn on the Rotterdam. So excited I must just explode! Figured when I can I would try and add substantive posts as a way to thank everyone who has in return posted wonderful info...

• 2 weeks later...

I have been to Ushuaia twice now, most recently this past February as part of a world cruise. We enjoyed the Catamaran this last time and then in the afternoon we walked around the town. I would recommend the catamaran and the trip is short enough so that you have plenty of time to also enjoy the town.

Keith

• 1 month later...

If you take the Beagle Channel & Park excursion do you get to "the end of the world" site that the bus takes you to? I would like to see the wildlife on this tour but I want to get to the "end of the world". ;) I just think it is neat to say you have been there. (even though the world is round) Is there another tour that would take me there. I am afraid to take a chance of getting a cab.

If I take the Beagle Channel tour I will not have time to explore the city. Am I missing anything?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived