RiverBarge Excursion Lines

LHT28

Hi, LHT. Yes, we took the RiverBarge from New Orleans to Memphis about 6 years ago and it was delightful. The only reason we haven't gone with them again is that they are so darned expensive. You can do a European river cruise, with air, for about the same price.

The configuration is two barges tied together that are pushed by a river tug from the rear. The lead barge is where the lounge and dining room are located and the one behind contains the cabins. Each cabin is named for a different State. The joke on board is that, after all, they are "State"rooms!

The food was tasty, plentiful and very American. The crew were a delightful group of young Americans who were most helpful. We visited small towns that we would otherwise have never taken the occasion to see. I have looked several times at their trips through the northern states but have just decided that it was more money than I wished to spend for places that I could do own my own by car if I wished to visit them.

I would not hesitate to recommend RiverBarge.

Clarence:)

Clarence,

The "stateroom" is a steamboat term. A third deck was added to the steamboats when Texas joined the Union. So this deck was called Texas Deck. To honor the other states a captain named the cabins after the states and the "stateroom" was born. They are still called staterooms on the steamboats.

I have put together some facts about RiverBarge

http://www.rivers-rails.com/boats-rb.shtml

Unfortunately I don´t have any inside photos. I haven´t had a chance yet to visit the River Explorer.

The River Explorer won´t run at least for a week due to an accident yesterday near New Orleans. More here:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=1993

http://www.wwltv.com/local/stories/w....16ad2e30.html

http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/frontpa...460.xml&coll=1

nola.com also had some nice photos of the dent. No one has been hurt. It was not the fault of River Explorer but a barge broke loose and hit them.

steamboats

Hi, LHT. Yes, we took the RiverBarge from New Orleans to Memphis about 6 years ago and it was delightful. The only reason we haven't gone with them again is that they are so darned expensive.

Thanks for the comments

yes they are a tad pricey but different to mass market cruiselines.

Did you find them noisy from the tug?

Any other river cruise line suggestions would be welcomed.

No noise from the tug whatsoever.

As for river cruises in North America I would recommend that you check out some of the links on the bottom of Steamboats messages. They are experts on side-wheelers!

Clarence,

It´s stern-wheelers :D !

LHT28,

I don´t think you´ll hear anything from the towboat (sorry, no tugboat on the Western rivers) as towboat and hotel barge are separate units. So there shouldn´t be much vibration either.

For the US rivers: There´s only one major cruise line now, Majestic America Line. MAL has bought American West Steamboat Company (Empress of the North, Queen of the West -> Columbia river & Alaska), Great American River Journeys (Columbia Queen -> Columbia river), Delta Queen Steamboat Company (Delta Queen, Mississippi Queen, American Queen -> Mississippi river system) and then Windstar (3 motor sail yachts -> ocean going) and a little boat now called Contessa (formerly owned by Glacier Bay Cruises -> Alaska).

There are a couple cruise lines like Cruise West which operate even smaller vessels (below 100 passengers) and ply the Hudson river, Columbia river and more.

steamboats

LHT28,

I don´t think you´ll hear anything from the towboat (sorry, no tugboat on the Western rivers) as towboat and hotel barge are separate units. So there shouldn´t be much vibration either.

steamboats

Thanks Steamboats

We did ACCL cruise last year in the Hudson and their boats are junk, they are so noisy if you are on the main deck. for the money we spent we expected a bit better service.

We are a little leery of taking a small ship again! ;)

• 1 month later...

I visited the River Barge, "River Explorer" about 5 years ago. It is 2 barges.

1 barge is the "Hotel" with cabins. Nice size with Full size bath with a tub.

Also coffee pot, little refrig, lots of closet space and drawers. I do not think I could pack enough to fill up the space. Casual dress, not coat & ties. Probably business casual dress at night. Alcholic beverages not included, but all soda, all food, even self servce laundry included. Tour in each port included. NO TIPPING ALLOWED.

I had friends on the River Barge from New Orleans to Memphis. Very smooth, did not feel any movement. Sometimes RB offers "Free return" one-way transportation (ar reverse depending on where you board the barge.

Warning: Joe gained 6 pounds while on the 10 day trip.

Archived