What is your favorite TV or movie with a cruise/steam ship

dvdfreakmc

``The Captain's Table.'' It was filmed aboard the old Oriana. A classic and pretty close to real life.

Then there's the movie where they scuttled the Ille De France. Can't remember the name of it, but a pax got her leg stuck under a door. Great shots of the ship.

My favorite cruise film was "Romance On The High Seas" only because it introduced Doris Day to the movie audience. As a young, former band singer (Les Brown), she made her film debut in this movie and the rest is history. Her inaugural screen performance can be summed up in two words, "It's Magic."

A little off the topic... we were on the QEII in the Summer of 1998. As we were departing Longyearben (Spitsbergen) in mid-afternoon in the theater the movie "TITANTIC" was being shown. At this time many of us who were still outside on deck (it was very cold) started to see quite a bit of ice floating by the ship. By that evening we were surrounded by ice (what are called growlers) with tremendous fog. The ship slowed down to merely 1 or 2 knots and you could hear the ice hitting the ship. Many of us saw a seal on one of the larger ice flows. Everyone bundled up and went out on deck. It was really "eerie" with the fog horn going off every minute. Many of the crew were down at the head of the ship posing for pictures in the same pose that Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet did in the movie.

This flow lasted the entire night. The next day each person was presented with a certificate signed by Captain Ronald Warwick stating that this was the first time that the great ocean liner, the Queen Elizabeth II ever went through such a dense ice flow. THIS IS DEFINITELY AN EXPERIENCE WE WILL NEVER FORGET!

"An Affair to Remember" & "The Poseidon Adventure"..Never saw Titanic..

Even though it's not a movie, loved the BBC TV series "Keeping up Appearances" My favorite episode was when Hyacinth & Richard missed the departure of the QEII..When they finally boarded Hyacinth was so upset that Onslow & Daisy were invited to the Captain's Table & she wasn't. :D :D

Looked into purchasing the DVD of that episode but it's packaged with a set of 4 DVD's & don't care to spend $80 for the series.. Maybe DH will get it for my Birthday..;)

Or purhaps HAL will purchase the DVD's & show the series on board someday..

http://www.tvheaven.ca/kup.htm

[url=http://www.tvheaven.ca/kup.htm][/url]

The movie that got me into cruise ships and ocean liners in the first place. Sadly, its "The Poseidon Adventure". The Irwin Allen 1972 version and not the far worst remakes. A classic to me. Something I wouldn't wish on anyone but its a great sea adventure.

David

Even though it's not a movie, loved the BBC TV series "Keeping up Appearances" My favorite episode was when Hyacinth & Richard missed the departure of the QEII..When they finally boarded Hyacinth was so upset that Onslow & Daisy were invited to the Captain's Table & she wasn't. :D :D

Looked into purchasing the DVD of that episode but it's packaged with a set of 4 DVD's & don't care to spend $80 for the series.. Maybe DH will get it for my Birthday..;)

*LOL*

I love Mrs. Bucket (oops sorry Bouquet Bouquet *LOL*) I wouldn't want to be poor Richard for all the money in the world :) But I love watching her.

The episode with her dancing with Onslow on The QE2 was priceless.

I know with a lot of those shows you have to buy the whole box set or a whole seasons worth of shows. Not sure but perhaps Blockbuster or one of those places have individual episodes you can rent.

*LOL*

I love Mrs. Bucket (oops sorry Bouquet Bouquet *LOL*) I wouldn't want to be poor Richard for all the money in the world :) But I love watching her.

The episode with her dancing with Onslow on The QE2 was priceless.

I know with a lot of those shows you have to buy the whole box set or a whole seasons worth of shows. Not sure but perhaps Blockbuster or one of those places have individual episodes you can rent.

The funniest remark on that program was Onslow telling Hyacinth after having dinner at the Captain's table: "Imagine spending all that money on a cruise and I have to eat with the crew."

The funniest remark on that program was Onslow telling Hyacinth after having dinner at the Captain's table: "Imagine spending all that money on a cruise and I have to eat with the crew."

LOL....

What I noticed was how Onslow was dressed during the evenings. Tuxedo. He Looked fabulous! Onslow ... who always walked around in tank tops and sweaters without sleeves, his tattoos showing ... while aboard the QE2 he dressed according to Code. :D Just goes to show ... one doesn't have to go to Hyacinth's ridiculous extremes just to be "in code."

LOL....

What I noticed was how Onslow was dressed during the evenings. Tuxedo. He Looked fabulous! Onslow ... who always walked around in tank tops and sweaters without sleeves, his tattoos showing ... while aboard the QE2 he dressed according to Code. :D Just goes to show ... one doesn't have to go to Hyacinth's ridiculous extremes just to be "in code."

Very true :)

You know its funny. They recently had a special on PBS about all the British Sitcoms and they had interviews with a lot of the stars . The actor who played Onslow was on and he is actually a formally trained stage actor who did a lot classical theater.

A bit of trivia ....he was also the voice of Paul McCartney in "Yellow Submarine"

Very true :)

You know its funny. They recently had a special on PBS about all the British Sitcoms and they had interviews with a lot of the stars . The actor who played Onslow was on and he is actually a formally trained stage actor who did a lot classical theater.

A bit of trivia ....he was also the voice of Paul McCartney in "Yellow Submarine"

I didn't know that bit of trivia ... but, yes indeed ... he has done, and continues to do today, a lot of classical theater. He's an excellent actor.

Havent seen it posted on this thread but does anyone remember "Ship of Fools" with an all-star cast?:) :)

A classic!

Ship of Fools is a cruise-board drama filmed in 1965, but set in 1933. It follows a group of voyagers heading from Mexico via Cuba to Bremerhaven, Germany.

The story involves people from different parts of society - the older Germans that are pro-****, the Jewish salesman, the young idealist painter, the childless couple with a dog that they treat as a child. The ship's doctor falls in love with the socialite who took a stand against poverty.

The movie is in black and white, and won many awards for its set direction and art direction. It also got nominations for many of its actors. The cast features many well known faces - Jose Ferrer, Lee Marvin, Vivian Leigh, and many more.

The movie is very explicitly a social commentary, with differences shown not only between the first class passengers and the Spanish workers down in the hold, but also between different members in first class. There are women forced in prostitution, fathers yelling at kids, women seeking affairs, men contemplating leaving their wives. There is a lot of the traditional "if only they knew" kind of situation, with people thinking the ****s would never take power - when of course the audience well knows that they do.

It's a fascinating look at the type of cruises offered in the first half of the 20th century - when there was almost always an Upper Class going for luxury and a Lower Class just trying to get to the destination in a cheap manner.

John, Thank you for your wonderful synopsis; I used to have a copy of that movie and i think I wore it out! Do you recall who played the doctor in the movie and wasn't Simone Signoret in it also? As HAL afficionados living here in San Diego, we were following your recent OSDM trip and we watch the 3pm wave each week. Last year we did the last Mexican Riviera cruise b2b with the coastal to Vancouver.:) :)

The Last Voyage (1960) with Robert Stack and Dorothy Malone.

Filmed on the Ile de France in Hong Kong harbor before the ship was scrapped. Great interior pictures of that beuatiful ship. But when the dining room floods, they really flooded it (with water from fire boats). When the ship's funnel falls over, it really did.

Love that movie.

Oh, I videotaped that episode from a PBS station years and years ago and occasionally pull it out to watch it. I love Onslow's comment about dinner with the Captain - "You win a contest, you get dressed up and they expect you to eat with the crew!":D

As one might tell from the signature I'll be on the QE2 this summer and the first thing my mother mentioned when I first told her about this cruise was not to be like Hyancith! Obviously she saw the same episode as well.:rolleyes: Now I'll just have to hunt down the postman and make sure I yell loud enough for the whole neighbourhood to hear to ensure that the postal service redirects my mail to the QE2!

David

YES YES YES:) :) :) So funny!

Babyher.. Thanks for the heads up you may be right about renting it..

David..Wouldn't it be fun if you brought your tape along on your cruise & invited people to watch it..You could have a Mrs. "Bouquet" Party..

Cheers everyone..Betty

RevNeal..Never gave it a thought that Onslow was following the dress code..LOL...

Another episode that was so funny & had me crying, was when Hyacinth & Richard invited their friends to join them on another Friends yacht..:D :D :D

Actually I loved all the episodes..Perhaps PBS will do re-runs of them again..:)

Oh my goodness forgot Ship of Fools...

Thanks for starting this thread DVDfreak..It brings back so many fond memories..

Cheers & Happy Memories Everyone:) Betty

John, Thank you for your wonderful synopsis; I used to have a copy of that movie and i think I wore it out! Do you recall who played the doctor in the movie and wasn't Simone Signoret in it also? As HAL afficionados living here in San Diego, we were following your recent OSDM trip and we watch the 3pm wave each week. Last year we did the last Mexican Riviera cruise b2b with the coastal to Vancouver.:) :)

Leo, Doc Willie Schumann was played by Oskar Werner (known more for Fahrenheit 451) and Simone was in it and played "La Contessa" A Mexican Riviera with a B2B to Vancouver or Ryndam or Oosterdam is a great way to cruise! See ya!

The absolutely funniest scene of any move I've ever seen had to be the one from 'A Night at the Opera' starring the Marx Brothers where more and more people keep piling into their tiny cabin, until they all come tumbling out. I've seen it many times but I still can't help laughing out loud when it happens.:D

I also like it when Groucho asks the room steward what can they order for room service and the steward proudly answers 'anything you like!':)

I had forgotten about this GREAT episode -- I'll have to TIVO that one when it comes around again or netflix it. :)

Here's one no one has mentioned -- remember the TV mini-series from the mid 80s "Goliath Awaits" where the ship is at the bottom of the ocean and they have lived down there for years in their own community,

For you Now Yoyager fans out there, me being one, it is on tonight (7 pm CDT, commercial free) on one of the classic movie stations on cable, don't know if I can mention the channel on here but I think you all probably know which one I am refereing too. They are having a Bette Davis-a-thon.

Great movie period but the cruise aspect is great too. :)

Just thought I would let y'all know ;)

Archived