Do you really come back 10lbs heavier???

:confused: Is it true that after getting in tip top shape for my cruise -I'm gonna come back with clothes that don't fit?? I do want to enjoy myself but jeez...is this first time cruiser gonna have that much fun

eating>? I've heard a few stories that give me that impression...:confused:

All depends on you, I usually gain about 5 pounds. That's while exercising every day, usually 2 to 4 miles walking and running, and working out with weights as well. That said, I don't have any trouble fitting my clothes for the whole cruise.

The potential is the combination of food always being around (and high calories foods at that - for example in the Promenade Cafe for example) and not enough activity to compensate for the food intake.

Both my DW and I visited the shipshape every day so we actually lost weight on the cruise, and we were careful not to eat too much after dinner (we had main seating).

So yes it is very easy to gain weight on a ship due to the large amounts of food available.

Cheers

Jason

I imagine some do come back that much heavier the way I've seen them eat onboard. We were seated for one cruise with one couple and the husband ordered and ate two full entrees every night plus appetizers, salad, soup and dessert. Also have seen some pretty huge piles of food on some plates in the buffet restaurant for all meals and they were the extra large oval plates.

There are some folks who plan on eating as much as they can, just to recoup the cost of their fare! You don't have to do that! Eat what fills you up--no more, and you'll be fine!

Words of Wisdom CB! :)

I have ALWAYS come home lighter than when I got on the ship, even on my 3-day!

I've never seen the inside of an elevator, it's all steps for me. I'm very active in port (usually doing something more than walking to Diamonds International. Think: biking, snorkeling, kyacking, etc.)

I LOVE the morning stretch class. I worked out in the gym once on a sea day before I found swimming to be MUCH more fun.

And I always ALWAYS eat in moderation. I've never over-indulged. I take small amounts of everything, that way I can taste it for the experience, but I don't need to eat the whole thing.

I think it's all a matter of cruising style.

I've never gained weight on a cruise either. I agree that one of the best tricks is to use the stairs! The elevators always take way too long anyway(those pesky kids pushing all the buttons :) )! The ships are so large there is always plenty of walking to do. Even if you want to try a lot of different foods, just eat a little bit of each thing and you still get a great variety.

I average 10 pounds on a 7 nighter and 5-7 pounds on a 5 nighter. My problem is late night eating, then going to bed. I am plenty active during the day, walk a mile, swimming @ the beach in port. Its those long evenings after a 4 course meal, then a light meal around midnight!! The good thing is that it seems to come off just as fast as it went on, once we get home. But, its tough the first few days @ work, cause your used to eating larger meals!!!

:confused: Is it true that after getting in tip top shape for my cruise -I'm gonna come back with clothes that don't fit?? I do want to enjoy myself but jeez...is this first time cruiser gonna have that much fun

eating>? I've heard a few stories that give me that impression...:confused:

I was told by a wise older person at the airport after my cruise that the adage is "a pound per day". I was not surprised then after I got home that I'd indeed gained 5 pounds after my 5 night cruise (on Enchantment).

Here's the thing, on the ship during the day it's HOT. You'll be sitting on the pool deck drinking a yummy frozen cocktail (loaded with sugar) when all of the sudden you see someone walking with a soft serve ice cream cone. So then, between drinks, you'll find yourself getting a yummy cool ice cream. Later, you'll have your 4 course meal with probably one too many pieces of bread, later go for more sugary frozen cocktails, then go to bed.

Perhaps you'll think of using the healthclub onboard....maybe you'll get there once or twice....but the allure of the deckchair, sunshine, sugary cocktails and icecream will suck away all your willpower, and you'll gain that pound a day the old lady spoke of. At least that's what happens to me.:cool: Have a great time and relax, hopefully you'll get back to fighting weight afterward.

I was told by a wise older person at the airport after my cruise that the adage is "a pound per day". I was not surprised then after I got home that I'd indeed gained 5 pounds after my 5 night cruise (on Enchantment).

Here's the thing, on the ship during the day it's HOT. You'll be sitting on the pool deck drinking a yummy frozen cocktail (loaded with sugar) when all of the sudden you see someone walking with a soft serve ice cream cone. So then, between drinks, you'll find yourself getting a yummy cool ice cream. Later, you'll have your 4 course meal with probably one too many pieces of bread, later go for more sugary frozen cocktails, then go to bed.

Perhaps you'll think of using the healthclub onboard....maybe you'll get there once or twice....but the allure of the deckchair, sunshine, sugary cocktails and icecream will suck away all your willpower, and you'll gain that pound a day the old lady spoke of. At least that's what happens to me.:cool: Have a great time and relax, hopefully you'll get back to fighting weight afterward.

Exactly. I do my share of exercise at home and eat right almost all the time at home, too.

On the ship I almost always walk the stairs and have been known to get up early to exercise. But I do what I don't do at home. I eat 1 roll with dinner. I stay up late and get hungry at midnight so I eat pizza. I'll have some foofoo sugary drinks just because I'm there and so are they :D - I don't do sugar at home. But I don't eat like a pig, pile my plate, have more than one entry on board. In fact I probably eat less than most people on a cruise. I just eat differently than at home. And I bloat right up.

I usually lose 1-3 lbs. We take the stairs, use the gym and avoid drinking alcohol until after dinner. Also try to eat half of everything you order in the dining room. That way you can try more food and not gain as much weight. Try to keep portion size small when hitting the buffet too. For me avoiding bread the entire cruise is a huge plus.

My husband and I ate as sensibly on our first cruise as we do at home, and neither of us gained/lost weight. We should have lost weight it seems since we did so much walking on our excursions, but didn't.

Just eat/drink what you need and leave the rest. :D

last year I came back 5lbs lighter :eek: I stuffed my face like there was no tomorrow but boy did we do a lot of walking - oh and refused to take the elevator on the ship, now that was a killer when coming in from port but hey great exercise!

Sorry.on our last cruise I gained 10lb for a 7 nighter. Took me awhile to loose too. I did work out, but obviously not enough. I have to admit though I just was not up to par on that cruise, usually I do not gain that much. I've already started loosing weight for the next one. I promise to be much better in the gym and eating...........I think it is the foo-foo drinks that kill me.

Macwoman

It helps to be active. We did a lot of snorkeling on our 7 day cruise as well as taking the stairs and walking. Another tip is if you want to try other types of food offered go ahead, just don't eat the whole thing. Sometimes just a taste will do.

I started Weight Watchers on Feb 1. I had lost 11 pounds before our cruise on Legend on March 10. I did not stick to the program while away, but we do a lot of walking and I found that I just could not eat as much as I used to anyway. I came back one pound more, but by my next weigh in (4 days after I got back), it was gone. Then next week I lost 3 so I am back on track. I enjoyed my meals, but did not feel that I had to be in the "Clean Plate Club". I am a sucker for those sourdough rolls, but I only had one at dinner instead of 2 or 3. At the buffet, lots of green salad, little dressing and nothing fried or swimming in sauce/grease.

As part of their new Vitality program, there is an Eat More to Weigh less event on the compass. Someone takes you through the WJ to tell you what is best to eat.

I agree that taking the stairs is one way to combat the gain. And I am sure that the alcohol does add on the pounds. But it is a vacation, so enjoy yourself.

Archived