Cruising out of Santos (Sao Paulo). Questions.

mlbcruiser

We have booked a cruise out of Santos (near Sao Paulo) for next Jan. The main reason is I have always wanted to see Rio. I WISH our ship left from or ended there, but it doesn't. Therefore we will have to make the most of our one day in Rio. Our ship will also stop in Buenos Aires and a couple of resort type areas of Brazil. But I have some concerns and (too many!) questions:

First off, we were thinking of trying to arrive a couple of days early to see some of Sao Paulo, but I've not heard very complimentary things in regard to this city. Would we be better off (enjoy our time better and feel safer) staying in Santos rather than Sao Paulo? Does anyone know of any good but moderately priced hotels in these places? What is the best and most reasonably priced way to get from the airport to Sao Paulo to Santos (where we will board the ship)?

My son has been to Rio twice and told us about how youths sometimes "rush" at you and try to get your valuables. (This happened to him mostly during Carnivale in San Salvador, however none of them every got a thing. He'd just push them away.) We also just met a couple on a caribbean cruise who went to Rio and loved it (hated Sao Paulo and felt uncomfortable there), but they experienced the same thing as my son. They were in a popular tourist area at the time. Apparently this is somewhat common and generally the type of "mugging" that sometimes occurs. Therefore I am assuming real violence is not that common w/muggings there? If anyone out there is VERY familiar w/these cities, please comment. We are not "nervous" travelers and have found warnings to be exaggerated many times. (We also understand our own U.S. cities can sometimes be threatening or dangerous to tourists.)

Will there likely be a variety of ages cruising this itinerary or mostly just retirees? (This cruise is only 8 days long.)

Can we expect nice weather at that time of year? What about March weather in that area of South America? (Feb. is out for us.)

Can anyone tell me how long it takes to fly to Sao Paulo from, say, Miami?

Thanks for any advice or information!

Did you look at the HAL cruises??? They either begin or end in Rio.

As a frequent South America business traveler, these are my opinions. We used to have our annual meeting in Rio. Three years ago, the South American contingent said "NO MORE RIO". Too dangerous, too dirty. So we now have our meetings on a rotating basis, but not in Rio.

Your son is correct. And there is more: the "mustard scam" is famous in Rio-little kids squirt mustard, ketchup, etc. on someone. Then they all rush up to help "clean it off". While they are doing this, they are picking your pockets and robbing you. The tourist police are a waste-they look at tourists as if "you knew this could happen-why did you bring your camera if you didn't want it ripped off?" The favelas (barrios/poor areas) are right up against the tourist areas. The disparity between poor and tourists is GLARING. The poor want what you have, if for no other reason than to eat.

Rio is more dangerous than quite a few cruise ports. Would I still go there??? Yes, but only on a well organized, well planned trip. Do not plan on going to Rio and just winging it. You could get in big trouble. You need firm commitments for lodging, transport and guides in advance.

Most of the South American cruises will have an older crowd. Don't forget that transport to and from the US adds at least two extra days to any trip. So your 8 day cruise easily turns into 10-11 days for the average person.

Sao Paulo is the fifth largest city in the world-very crowded. The pollution is unbelievable. Noisy, crowded and as crime prone as any city I have been in. But it has a few redeeming benefits-world class business center, world class museums, and lots of cathedrals.

The weather does not vary much in either Rio or Sao Paulo. Humid, tropical and I would guess the average is about 65 degrees (low and high averaged).

The nonstop AA flights out of MIA to either Sao Paolo or Rio take a little more than 8 hours.

Thanks, greatam. No doubt you know what you are talking about. I met a couple in their 30's on a cruise 2 wks. ago and they, too, loved Rio even though they also had a bout w/some kids trying to mug the husband. My son loved Brazil in general and thinks we will as well. We do often "wing it" on trips out of the U.S. but sometimes that involved booking independent tours. Since we'll be on a ship in port in Rio for only one day, no doubt we'll do any sightseeing in some sort of an organized group. We were warned about Naples, San Juan, and I can't tell you how many other cities. So far, so good. But there's a first time for everything. 8 hrs. is about as long a flight as I would want to do, so I'm glad it's not longer than that! We actually will be coming from the midwest but I figured there would be a stop over someplace like Miami.

Now if someone else can shed some light on Santos or answer some of my other questions . . .

We are sailing on the Splendour of the Seas from Santos on 2oth December but arriving on 18th. We are planning on spending the two nights in Guarujá before the cruise. This is a holiday resort about 20 miles from Santos with nice beaches, so I am told. I have never been there but we went to Santos last year (prior to a Costa Victoria mini-break). It is also very nice with a good beach, but the hotel accommodation is limited compared to Guarujá.

São Paulo is a gigantic city and not too welcoming. The best thing to do is get to the coastal areas as quickly as possible.

We have been to Rio several times and never had any problems. I feel perfectly safe there. However, I agree with the comments by "greatam" and would advise not to push your luck. If you havn't been to Rio before, take the all day tour that includes the grill lunch - its is a fabulous excursion, you can see all of the sights and have a fantastic lunch as well. One day is enough, away from Carnaval time.

To get from São Paulo to Santos it is better to take a taxi or ask if the cruise line is organising a transfer. It is about 50 miles, but taxis are not expensive. Agree the fare before.

As for the weather, it is the hight of the summer in January. Typically tropical, can be very hot, with occasional heavy showers that pass quickly.

Don't forget that coming from the USA you will need visas to enter Brazil. Expect some delays at passport control at the airport.

DH and I sailed out of Rio last Dec. aboard the Rotterdam, HAL. We stopped at Santos as a port of call and we were VERY dissapointed in the town. The port is in an industrial area and is very dirty and you have to take a bus to a terminal, then another bus to go anywhere. We thought the town was a waste of time. That is just our opinion but most onboard argreed with us. In fact, our shore excursion was so bad we all got 75% of our cost back and the people who went to Saos Palo got 100% back. But we loved the rest of our cruise and SA. Maybe we just had a bad experience and others would find Santos lovely. Marian

DH and I sailed out of Rio last Dec. aboard the Rotterdam, HAL. We stopped at Santos as a port of call and we were VERY dissapointed in the town. The port is in an industrial area and is very dirty and you have to take a bus to a terminal, then another bus to go anywhere. We thought the town was a waste of time. That is just our opinion but most onboard argreed with us. In fact, our shore excursion was so bad we all got 75% of our cost back and the people who went to Saos Palo got 100% back. But we loved the rest of our cruise and SA. Maybe we just had a bad experience and others would find Santos lovely. Marian

OK. I agree. Santos is not that great as a port of call and I would certainly agree that it is not worth visiting São Paulo for the day.

As we used Santos as departure port, we did not see much of the port area, we stayed in the Gonzaga beach area and only went to the port to catch the ship. Compared to other ports, I agree that Santos is a poor call.

Thanks for your replies (and keep 'em comin' folks!).

Mines, I assume one can get to Guaruja' from Sao Paulo fairly reasonably via taxi as well? And that taxis are available at the airport that would take us there, or would we be wise to reserve one somehow in advance? Can you recommend any accommodations there and do you know about how long it should take to get there? I'm glad to hear you have been in Rio and did not find it all THAT dangerous. I have no idea what time we would arrive in Sao Paulo but I guessed that if it was early evening we probably would be forced to stay in S.P. the first night. Hopefully, we will arrive in earlier and can go to a smaller town, though. One thing has come up that might make us change our plans: My dh has board meetings 3 times a year that take several wks. of preparation time during which we cannot be away. These meetings have been the same times of the year at least since 1982 but are now changing. We are probably going to have to cancel this cruise. I am hoping to find a date we CAN go on, however.

Bldlvr, I WISH we got to sail out of Rio! We'd DEFINITELY add a few days onto the beginning of our trip!

mlbcruiser,

I would guess that a taxi from the airport is the best way. It is about 50 miles. Without trafic, it would take one hour. Getting out of São Paulo can be difficult during the rush hour. If your plane is landing at those times, stay overnight in São Paulo. Lake any big city, all of the leading hotels are there and just to sleep, no problem.

Guarujá is a bit nicer than Santos to stay and they have a number of hotels - two very good. The Casa Grande is one of the leading hotels of the world - you can see their site on

http://www.casagrandehotel.com.br/default2.asp?idm=ing

There is a new hotel, inaugurated only this December the Sofitel Jequitimar Guarujá - see photos.:)

768051824_sofitelpool.jpg.6933d161f9ccabe55ea1a611962c537e.jpg

1162919242_sofiteljequitimarguaruj.jpg.555436ba90653045b8397d1802f5ec8c.jpg

1602844335_sofitelpool2.jpg.6ca4f755d21e059ce374c3b13304a646.jpg

Thanks for the links, Mimes. It's taking a while to open the Sofitel's so I am replying while that takes place. But I got the other one open. Looks great, but probably pricey, right? I will still keep it in mind. Do you know of any hotels in Sao Paulo that would be good to use if we arrived late - like about midnight? I noticed some of the flights I checked out landed very late and like you said, it would be best to stay in Sao Paulo in that case.

Meanwhile, I am fuming because yesterday afternoon I found out that we for sure CANNOT go on the Brazil cruise we booked. I am just SICK about it, and we've had it booked for months. Great intinerary and great price. My dh works for a university that has 3 major board meetings a yr. For at least over 25 yrs. they have been on certain dates and it takes 6-8 wks. to prepare for them, making it impossible for my dh to be gone from early to mid-Dec. through Feb. 1. I am SO MAD that this is just because of some guy's whim! There is one cruise Feb. 2 but that wouldn't allow enough time to get there after the meeting 2/1. I have been scouring dates in Dec. and Feb., but we cannot afford the ones we might consider (time involved, family events, holidays or cost). Rio has been at the top of my list of places I haven't seen yet for years! Also, my son in law is in the NFL and his team came VERY close to being in the Superbowl this past yr. They are expected to do well again this yr. and we would hate to miss the playoffs or, on the outside chance, the Superbowl if he played in it. (Yeah, I know. SOME people actually have REAL problems and this isn't one, but still. . .) I will keep working on this and just sit on it until we know what his season is looking like. The visa thing is a problem or otherwise we could book just a couple of weeks ahead of time. That is why I still appreciate any info. for "later".

Thanks again for your help!

Our cruise on Journey ends in Santos early in the morning march,10, 2008 and our flight home is not until late at night. Do you know how far it is from the port to the airport, are cabs easily available or alternatively, a tour operator who could give us a tour of San Paulo and then drop us off at the airport?

Our cruise on Journey ends in Santos early in the morning march,10, 2008 and our flight home is not until late at night. Do you know how far it is from the port to the airport, are cabs easily available or alternatively, a tour operator who could give us a tour of San Paulo and then drop us off at the airport?

I think that 10th March 2008 is a Sunday. Therefore traffic should not be too bad and it could be pleasant in São Paulo. Watch out for the excursions organised by Celebrity - it may be that they have a city tour with transfer included. This could be the best option. Otherwise, try to find a private excursion that could take you on a brief tour and good lunch. São Paulo has some excellent restaurants, particularly in their Little Italy.

Unfortunately March 10, 2008 is a Monday. Now what are your comments. thx

Oh dear. I was basing my idea on the 2007 calendar assuming that as 10th March was a Saturday, next year will be one day later. I forgot that 2008 is a leap year.

A Monday is a normal working day in São Paulo and the traffic is horrible at the best of times. If it rains, it can be worse.

It would be best to wait and see what Celebrity themselves offer, as with luggage you are best off with an excursion and transfer.

Thanks for the links, Mimes. It's taking a while to open the Sofitel's so I am replying while that takes place. But I got the other one open. Looks great, but probably pricey, right? I will still keep it in mind. Do you know of any hotels in Sao Paulo that would be good to use if we arrived late - like about midnight? I noticed some of the flights I checked out landed very late and like you said, it would be best to stay in Sao Paulo in that case.

Meanwhile, I am fuming because yesterday afternoon I found out that we for sure CANNOT go on the Brazil cruise we booked. I am just SICK about it, and we've had it booked for months. Great intinerary and great price. My dh works for a university that has 3 major board meetings a yr. For at least over 25 yrs. they have been on certain dates and it takes 6-8 wks. to prepare for them, making it impossible for my dh to be gone from early to mid-Dec. through Feb. 1. I am SO MAD that this is just because of some guy's whim! There is one cruise Feb. 2 but that wouldn't allow enough time to get there after the meeting 2/1. I have been scouring dates in Dec. and Feb., but we cannot afford the ones we might consider (time involved, family events, holidays or cost). Rio has been at the top of my list of places I haven't seen yet for years! Also, my son in law is in the NFL and his team came VERY close to being in the Superbowl this past yr. They are expected to do well again this yr. and we would hate to miss the playoffs or, on the outside chance, the Superbowl if he played in it. (Yeah, I know. SOME people actually have REAL problems and this isn't one, but still. . .) I will keep working on this and just sit on it until we know what his season is looking like. The visa thing is a problem or otherwise we could book just a couple of weeks ahead of time. That is why I still appreciate any info. for "later".

Thanks again for your help!

The 2/1 cruise is a bad date, because it will be "Carnaval Cruises" (Mardigrass!) Most with young and noisy people!

Archived