First time post: On Millenium May 3rd 07

Wellpark

Hi,

The posts are great, I can feel myself becoming quite at home. Is there a way of linking with other cruisers travelling on the same cruise as myself?

Also, I am booked in a lowly interior stateroom, is it like living in a cupboard for 10 days and is it worth trying to upgrade?

Will people treat me like a 2nd class citizen because I am not in a more 'upmarket' cabin.

I have never cruised before and I am a bit nervous about snobbery and not fitting in.

Regards

Wellpark

Hi,

The posts are great, I can feel myself becoming quite at home. Is there a way of linking with other cruisers travelling on the same cruise as myself?

Also, I am booked in a lowly interior stateroom, is it like living in a cupboard for 10 days and is it worth trying to upgrade?

Will people treat me like a 2nd class citizen because I am not in a more 'upmarket' cabin.

I have never cruised before and I am a bit nervous about snobbery and not fitting in.

Regards

Wellpark

Hi Wellpark ... welcome to CC :)

Here's a link to the roll call for your sailing: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=342203

I'm not sure about upgrades. Other passengers aren't usually aware of your cabin status unless they ask - which doesn't happen often (perhaps your tablemates will ask, but if they are in a balcony then they can be envious of the money that you've saved by booking an inside;) ). I've found that our fellow passengers on Celebrity have been very friendly, so snobbery shouldn't be an issue.

Enjoy your cruise .... we cruised on Millennium in the Med in '05 and had a fantastic time!

welcome wellpark!

You definitely will NOT be treated as a second class anything! The only persons knowing what cabin you are in are the cabin stewards.

There are many of us "lowly insiders" (its the only cabin i will pay for) The cabin size is almost exactly the same square footage as an outside and some balconies (about 172sq feet)

you can link up with other travelers by going to the ROLL CALL page millennium and the specific date.

The millie is a great m-class ship(just got off in march07) and is being refurbished this month. (so you will see a new looking ship)

I travel solo a lot and have never had a problem of fitting in (unless you decide to wear a bathrobe throughout the ship!) Sometimes when a fellow passenger knows im traveling alone they offer to share a cab to a beach.

Hope this puts you at ease ...you will have a great cruise :D

*sweet*

We always buy the cheapest room...for us, it doesn't make sense to spend the extra money for a bigger/outside cabin since we are rarely in it...we only go there to sleep occasionally & to change clothes & shower...so unless you are a person who spends a lot of time in the room, I wouldn't worry about it! Hope you enjoy Millie....The crew is fantastic!

Thanks Guys,

You have already made me feel welcome and I saved a whole lot of money!

I'm really looking forward to the whole cruise thing. If my DW and I catch the bug, we could be seeing you soon.

Thanks again for the support.

Warmest Regards

Wellpark

Hey Wellpark...welcome to cruisecritic. Like the previous posters have said...nobody will know what cabin you are in. Even if it comes up at dinner, on an excursions, or when teh people across the hall in their outside/veranda/suite open the door at the same time, I don't think anybody cares. You're there for the cruise, not the cabin.

We generally prefer verandas because we like to hang out outside in private. However, I have sailed in Insides before and it's not bad at all. I didn't feel claustrophobic. I would usually turn the TV on to the channel with the bow-cam so I could see what it was like outside. For that reason, I don't think I would ever purchase an outside cabin. If I can't step outside, then I would rather save the money and stay in an inside.

You're gonna love your cruise. The first one is the best. I was lucky enough to have Sweetair (further in the thread) on my first cruise, and she helped make it one of the best!

Thanks Darren,

Theres a real sense of community here and people looking out for one another. I could tell you a few horror stories about travelling to other countries and getting ripped off at best and being in serious danger at worst.

Maybe a future thread...

All the best

Wellpark

Hi Wellpark:) I am also one of those who books an inside

cabin. On Ocassion I have had a window or balcony but 99% of

the time I book an inside.

I have never been treated with any less respect on board

the ship. The staff and crew are (in my opinion) some of the best.

I just returned home from sailing Mercury and the crew

was fabulous:)

And as Sweetair has said, nobody will know what cabin

you are in..unless you care to tell them.

Darren, you have been lucky enough to sail with Sweet?

Hopefully one down down the road I will get that honar too:)

Wellpark, I sailed Millennium in December and had a wonderful

time...hope you will have one as well:)

I have met many, many cruisers over the years who ONLY book inside cabins so they can go on MORE cruises!

No class distinction nowadays onboard the ships.

You're getting on the day we get off, too! And, the Millie's in dry dock right now for two weeks, so she's gonna be gorgeous for your cruise!

Thanks Louis and Peggy,

Nice to feel welcome, the thought of 'snobbery' and 'exclusiveness' has put me off cruising in the past. That and the thought of sharing a big table and not getting on with folk. I am really quite a friendly kind of guy, us Scots are known for it...

From being indifferent about cruising, I am now really excited and even considering planning a second cruise before going on my first. I think I will hold back a little though, your enthusiasm is starting to rub off on me.

Peggy, I hope you have a fantastic cruise and the varnish is dry in time for your embarkation, you'll feel like royalty with the smell of fresh paint everywhere!

All the best

Wellpark

Thanks Louis and Peggy, (its Lois) LOL

Nice to feel welcome, the thought of 'snobbery' and 'exclusiveness' has put me off cruising in the past. That and the thought of sharing a big table and not getting on with folk. I am really quite a friendly kind of guy, us Scots are known for it...

From being indifferent about cruising, I am now really excited and even considering planning a second cruise before going on my first. I think I will hold back a little though, your enthusiasm is starting to rub off on me.

Peggy, I hope you have a fantastic cruise and the varnish is dry in time for your embarkation, you'll feel like royalty with the smell of fresh paint everywhere!

All the best

Wellpark

Hi....being part of a large table is always a joy for me:)

I sail solo and love meeting new people! You and your wife

would always be welcomed to sit with me:D

Oh..I corrected your spelling...no offense...but Louis is a male name...LOL

been called worse though, no worries:)

Wellpark, just remember if you don't particularly "take" to your tablemates, then ask to be seated at another table. Switching dining arrangements is very, very common at the beginning of cruises.

Either I will be enjoying the spanking new paint and varnish on the Millie, or sticking to it!!!:D

That and the thought of sharing a big table and not getting on with folk. I am really quite a friendly kind of guy, us Scots are known for it...

Sharing a table was one of the things I feared most when I took my first cruise. I am actually NOT that social of a person. Surprisingly, it is one of the things I enjoy most about cruising now. We've been lucky enough to have fantastic table mates on every cruise.

Hi Wellpark, we're also Scots cruisers...just got off Millenium (our favourite ship) yesterday after another TA and flew up from Southampton leaving the ship to go on to Brest for its drydock appt.

We have "done" every kind of cabin over the years and it makes no difference to anyone else whether you are in the suites , concierge, outside views or inside cabins..the facilities around the ship are available to everyone regardless.We like Celebrity because it provides a package we enjoy altho we have tried other cruiselines in the past. After your first cruise hopefully you'll be like the rest of us...hooked...and ready to go back for more!

Archived