Question for ChristieNJ re transport at Cape Liberty

Hi Christie

Hope you can help! I've seen that you live in NJ and we are staying in New York before our cruise on Explorer 11th November and intend getting either a taxi or private car to Cape Liberty.

But we have a problem on our return, we fly at 6pm from JFK.

Do you know if it is better for us to get a taxi, private car or do they run shuttle buses to JFK from the port?

Any other advice would be more than welcome.

Sue:) :)

Hi Sue!

Thanks so much for asking, that was nice of you to seek me out! :)

HOWEVER, even though I do live in NJ, I am in the central/southern part. I don't know a thing about transfers from the ports to the airport. Therefore, I am going to refer you to either KEWLGUY, or someone else that lives in North Jersey to help you out. Hang on while I find someone who can help you.....

In any event you are going to have a BLAST on Explorer...it is tied with Freedom as my favorite ship! :) She's beautiful!

Ok let me go find you some help..... :)

Thanks, Christie

As you can tell, we're from the UK, so we just think that New Jersey is like one of our small counties!!!!!

We really are looking forward to our first cruise and have a balcony as well, so we can't wait!!

Thanks, Christie

As you can tell, we're from the UK, so we just think that New Jersey is like one of our small counties!!!!!

We really are looking forward to our first cruise and have a balcony as well, so we can't wait!!

Well you couldn't have picked a better ship for your first cruise!

I left a message for one of the posters that I think could maybe help you. He's not online right now though. I will keep looking around for your answer, and I'll get back to you as soon as I can find something! :)

How are you getting from JFK to your hotel when you first arrive?

Hi Bozza - I replied to one of your earlier posts and told you how we got to and from Manhatten using the PATH train $1.50pp and a cab down from Hoboken $40. Let me know if you need it again.....

RCL do not run buses to JFK from Bayonne - only to Newark.

I guess you could investigate Newark airport website to see if they run any sort of bus from there to JFK [like they do between Heathrow and Gatwick..just a thought] It would be far cheaper to catch a cab to EWR than to use RCL's transfers, but it does seem to be a bit of a waste of your last day.

Sorry if it seems that I am hijacking the OP's thread, but I also have a question about Cape Liberty Port that perhaps ChristieNJ or someone else can answer. We will be driving to the port. What is the parking situation there? I presume we can pay to park our car at the port. Does anyone know what it costs per day?

Thank you.

Sorry if it seems that I am hijacking the OP's thread, but I also have a question about Cape Liberty Port that perhaps ChristieNJ or someone else can answer. We will be driving to the port. What is the parking situation there? I presume we can pay to park our car at the port. Does anyone know what it costs per day?

Thank you.

Hi Kel! :)

I believe parking is $15 a day if I'm not mistaken. All the info should be on their website here http://www.cruiseliberty.com/ They have the directions on that site also.

Thanks Christie

We are getting a taxi from JFK to our hotel as we will have 2 large suitcases and have read that it can take ages using a shuttle bus.

Thanks also Little Britain,

It does seem a waste of our last day, but we think it will be too much hassle going back into Manhatton, so we are going to get off the ship as late as we can say 10am and then reckon on about 45mins to 1hr to JFK and then by the time we've checked in and had some lunch and a look around the airport it won't be that long before we board. We had thought about leaving our luggage at the Port and going into Bayonne, but have been told there's not much there.

Thanks Christie

We are getting a taxi from JFK to our hotel as we will have 2 large suitcases and have read that it can take ages using a shuttle bus.

Thanks also Little Britain,

It does seem a waste of our last day, but we think it will be too much hassle going back into Manhatton, so we are going to get off the ship as late as we can say 10am and then reckon on about 45mins to 1hr to JFK and then by the time we've checked in and had some lunch and a look around the airport it won't be that long before we board. We had thought about leaving our luggage at the Port and going into Bayonne, but have been told there's not much there.

No problem. I have to get going for a while but I will keep my eyes out for an answer for you. :)

Directions to Cape Liberty Cruise Port

Name of Port:Cape Liberty Cruise Port

(former Bayonne Military Ocean Terminal)

Name/Location of Pier:14 Port Terminal Boulevard

Bayonne, N.J. 07002-5038

To/From Airports:Newark International Airport is approximately 10 miles from the port with approximately 15 minutes driving time. 21 miles from LaGuardia Airport.

(All travel times depending on traffic conditions)

Transportation:Super Shuttle shuttle service from JFK, LGA or EWR to the pier. For prices and reservations call 212-BLUE-VAN.

(Rates are subject to change)

Parking:The guests parking facility is located adjacent to the cruise terminal. The cost for parking is $12 per day and payment is due upon arrival. The parking facility accepts cash, traveler’s checks, Visa, MasterCard and American Express.

(Subject to change).

Directions:FROM N.J. TURNPIKE (NORTH OR SOUTH) - Exit turnpike at Exit 14A, Follow signs at exit for 440 South, Continue driving on 440 South, Make left into Cape Liberty Terminal (Port Terminal Boulevard). FROM LONG ISLAND - Take the Belt Parkway west toward the Verrazano Bridge Cross the Verrazano Bridge and continue on I-278 west toward Staten Island/New Jersey. Merge onto NY-440 North Exit #9 toward Bayonne Bridge. Cross Bayonne Bridge and continue on 440 North. Make right into Cape Liberty Terminal (Port Terminal Boulevard).

Hi Christie

Hope you can help! I've seen that you live in NJ and we are staying in New York before our cruise on Explorer 11th November and intend getting either a taxi or private car to Cape Liberty.

But we have a problem on our return, we fly at 6pm from JFK.

Do you know if it is better for us to get a taxi, private car or do they run shuttle buses to JFK from the port?

Any other advice would be more than welcome.

Sue:) :)

I would suggest in the future flying into and out of Newark when cruising from Cape Liberty as it's only a short cab ride away. It's even easier to get into Manhattan from Newark verses JFK. We drive to the port as we live only a half hour away so I'm hardly an expert regarding transportation to JFK. I'm not aware of any shuttles going from Cape Liberty to JFK. I personally would compare the prices of using the ships transfers verses taking a cab. I'm thinking a cab would be about $100.00. The transfer would probably be less hassle.

Taking a cab or private car from NYC to Bayonne will be pretty expensive, but on the contrary taking public transportation (like the PATH) will be a huge hassle, as the trains are very crowded. Additionally, getting to JFK from Bayonne may take a while depending on traffic conditions. The shuttles that another poster showed from Cape Liberty, might be the best bet if the price is reasonable.

Parking:[/b]The guests parking facility is located adjacent to the cruise terminal. The cost for parking is $12 per day and payment is due upon arrival. The parking facility accepts cash, traveler’s checks, Visa, MasterCard and American Express.

(Subject to change).

Just for the record the parking at Cape Liberty is $15.00 per day as Christie stated earlier.

Taking a cab or private car from NYC to Bayonne will be pretty expensive, but on the contrary taking public transportation (like the PATH) will be a huge hassle, as the trains are very crowded. Additionally, getting to JFK from Bayonne may take a while depending on traffic conditions. The shuttles that another poster showed from Cape Liberty, might be the best bet if the price is reasonable.

Those shuttles run to Cape Liberty. Not from.

Parking:The guests parking facility is located adjacent to the cruise terminal. The cost for parking is $12 per day and payment is due upon arrival. The parking facility accepts cash, traveler’s checks, Visa, MasterCard and American Express.

(Subject to change).

$15.00 a day

Thanks, Kewlguy...I just thought you maybe knew or heard about some type of shuttle. Since I drive also, I don't know about those things. I can tell someone more about Miami transportation than Jersey! :p

Well, the absolute best advice I can give to someone sailing from Cape Liberty is fly into and out of Newark Liberty International Airport. It's a 15 minute cab ride to Cape Liberty. Avoid the NY airports like the plague. :)

I just tried a 'dummy' booking on https://www.supershuttle.com/htm/cities/nyc.htm and it let me put in Bayonne as a pick up address - came up with MilitaryPier which is where the ships dock. Try it out.

Not sure who you are flying with but there is s*d all at JFK either at the AA terminal or at the brand new BA terminal!

private car ride will be about $90 with tips and tolls, each way. Better to fly into Newark as everyone says and take a local taxi, but even that one will be $40 each way. do not take path train, very crowded, not for tourists.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

We didn't think about flying into Newark when we booked our flights and not sure if we could have done as we are flying out of Manchester.

Wil try that link Little Britain as it will be a lot cheaper than a car or taxi.

It looks like we will be spending a very boring last day at JFK, but we're sure not going to let it spoil our holiday!!

We had thought about leaving our luggage at the Port and going into Bayonne, but have been told there's not much there.

Don't consider going into Bayonne for sightseeing. If you want to see something interesting, Liberty State Park is nearby.

You can ferry over from there and see the Statue of Liberty, and go up inside the statue as far us as the toes on the base, which is 9 stories, then look through a plexiglass ceiling to see the framework all the way to the crown.

Other than Liberty State Park, I cannot think of any other sights. Have fun.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

We didn't think about flying into Newark when we booked our flights and not sure if we could have done as we are flying out of Manchester.

Wil try that link Little Britain as it will be a lot cheaper than a car or taxi.

It looks like we will be spending a very boring last day at JFK, but we're sure not going to let it spoil our holiday!!

I think the last day of ANY vacation is boring! Boring and depressing! LOL Especially if you have to wait at an airport. The last time I flew out of JFK for a cruise it was a disaster. Now we fly out of Newark (which is WAY closer to us anyway), no matter what the cost difference is. Make sure you let us know how your cruise goes!! :)

Archived