Cruise Air and Air Deviation Explanation

greatam

Many thanks for this discussion. I will be taking an Oceania Australia cruise next Feb. Route : 2/4/09 SFO-SYD, return 2/27/09 BKK-SFO. The "free" air credit with taxes amounts to $1470 pp.

I'll want to go either 1 or maybe 2 days earlier to preclude the problems that others have mentioned - I'm guessing that will add just the $75 pp deviation if I go with cruise air, as I'm not changing the destination.

This seems considerably cheaper than the $1720 pp I have been able to find on matrix.itasoftware.com as others have advised. Have I missed all the "cheap" flights already? I just booked this and we're still 6 months out. any advise here would be appreciated....

I would have liked to upgrade to business seating as these are very long flights, but that seems to be another $5000+ pp extra - does anyone really pay these excessive charges for a flight? Maybe 1000 pp would be worth it - but for me even that's that's stretching it. can that be found anywhere?

Thanks, Bill

You will pay the deviation fee AND you MAY have to pay a hefty upcharge to fly a day or two early. As previously posted, the cruise lines buy tickets in bulk. They MAY have purchased tickets a day or two BEFORE the cruise. They MAY still have deviation tickets available at the same price. But there are NO guarantees. Your TA can contact the cruise line to determine availability.

One suggestion: You are in SF. One of the greatest cities in the USA to find cheap tickets to/from Asia. Check the back page of the Sunday paper-travel section. Go to Chinatown-lots of TA's who buy up seats to Asia and resell them for "family visits".

And look again at ITA. What is wrong with the China Air flights??? $1596 for your dates (about $40.00 more than the Oceania flight with air deviation fee). And you get a few hours in Taipai.

The AA flights would be my choice (but I am a VERY loyal AA flier). They are both codeshares with two of the best airlines in the world-Qantas/Cathay. And if you play your cards right, you may be able to beg/borrow/steal enough AA miles from various sources to upgrade to business class. AA charges a $300 co-pay each way PLUS miles (50,000pp for RT). BUT with a combination of credit card (Citibank AA World Mastercard Platinum is what I use), buying miles, "gift miles", etc. etc., and 6 months, you MAY be able to pull off the upgrades.

Good luck-if you need further help, please post a separate thread in the cruise air forum.

We are from Houston sailing to Med from NYC on 4/18/09 and returning to Houston from Barcelona on 5/3/09. We wanted to fly first class or business. The coach fares online are very expensive and first/business class was outrageous ($14,000 for two). Our TA checked with NCL and they offered the following.

Houston to Atlanta (with 1 hour layover) to LaGuardia on 4/17 - First Class both segments

Barcelona to Atlanta (with 2 hour layover) to Houston - Business from Barcelona and First from ATL

Including deviation fee of $50 and fare differential of $1,650, we are at $5,600 for two. We have dates and flight numbers, and booked it today. We can cancel up until final payment and lose only the deviation fee of $50 each.

Do we have anything to be wary of? Is there some downside we are not considering? Should we purchase insurance? Thanks for your help!

OF COURSE you should have insurance. Good, third party travel insurance purchased independently. Insuremytrip.com or Travelinsurancestore.com should be investigated.

One thing to check: You are PAYING for first class seats from IAH to ATL. Are you even flying a plane that has first class???? A lot of the short flights are on RJ-some without first class.

Thanks for your response. Great question regarding first class because we are on the CRJ 900 but according to this website (and the "view seats" at Delta's booking site) there are 10 first class seats on the CRJ-900. All other segments are bigger jets.

http://www.delta.com/planning_reservations/plan_flight/aircraft_types_layout/crj_900/

Checking today at matrix.itasoftware.com there are no business/first tickets for less than $5,000 per person. It just sounds too good to be true, making me wonder "what's the catch".

I forgot to add.....

Regarding insurance, we have been on 20+ cruises and never purchased insurance and never had an incident. (knock on wood) But, the trips are getting longer and farther from home, the cabins are getting bigger and more expensive and we are getting older. I thought a good plan would be to check with our insurance carrier to see what is/isn't covered while onboard or out of country and then do as you suggested - check out an independent provider.

Thank you very much for your help.

I forgot to add.....

Regarding insurance, we have been on 20+ cruises and never purchased insurance and never had an incident. (knock on wood) But, the trips are getting longer and farther from home, the cabins are getting bigger and more expensive and we are getting older. I thought a good plan would be to check with our insurance carrier to see what is/isn't covered while onboard or out of country and then do as you suggested - check out an independent provider.

Thank you very much for your help.

To answer both your questions:

I don't know how you have been trying to use ITA to find flights, but I can find business/first flights for just slightly more (about $300pp) than your posted NCL price. And First class on a RJ is really a waste of money, unless you just want the experience. The SpanAir flights are actually US Airways flights over the pond.

Booking two tickets-US Air or others from IAH to JFK, then a one way on Swiss results in a fare of $3080.00. And if you want to save a few dollars, don't fly first class on the IAH to JFK flights. First class on AerLingus one way is even cheaper.

Insurance:

You REALLY need insurance going overseas. Medical evacuation is generally NOT covered in most US health policies. The bills could be HUGE. And what about trip cancellation/trip interruption??? What if your NCL booked flights have a glitch and you miss the cruise??? How are you going to get to the next port??? Who is going to eat the cost of hotels, transport, food??? It is NOT going to be NCL. AND the airlines have NO obligation to get you any further than your original destination with your consolidator class, heavily discounted business class tickets. So you are one your own-you MAY get some help rebooking a flight from NCL (don't count on it). But most of the costs are going to be paid BY YOU.

I wouldn't leave the USA without VERY good travel insurance. IMHO, very, very foolish.

You will pay the deviation fee AND you MAY have to pay a hefty upcharge to fly a day or two early. As previously posted, the cruise lines buy tickets in bulk. They MAY have purchased tickets a day or two BEFORE the cruise. They MAY still have deviation tickets available at the same price. But there are NO guarantees. Your TA can contact the cruise line to determine availability.

One suggestion: You are in SF. One of the greatest cities in the USA to find cheap tickets to/from Asia. Check the back page of the Sunday paper-travel section. Go to Chinatown-lots of TA's who buy up seats to Asia and resell them for "family visits".

And look again at ITA. What is wrong with the China Air flights??? $1596 for your dates (about $40.00 more than the Oceania flight with air deviation fee). And you get a few hours in Taipai.

The AA flights would be my choice (but I am a VERY loyal AA flier). They are both codeshares with two of the best airlines in the world-Qantas/Cathay. And if you play your cards right, you may be able to beg/borrow/steal enough AA miles from various sources to upgrade to business class. AA charges a $300 co-pay each way PLUS miles (50,000pp for RT). BUT with a combination of credit card (Citibank AA World Mastercard Platinum is what I use), buying miles, "gift miles", etc. etc., and 6 months, you MAY be able to pull off the upgrades.

Good luck-if you need further help, please post a separate thread in the cruise air forum.

Well I was able to get that same AA routing thru Oceania for only 75 pp more - non stop on the outbound flight - so I guess I was lucky here !! Seems Business class would be significantly more anywhere- I can't justify that for an airplane tix - and I don't fly much so no FF miles, etc..

At six months out is there a way to check on assigned seating and how do you know if its a good seat - IF there such a thing in economy !!

Thanks again, Bill

Insurance:

You REALLY need insurance going overseas. Medical evacuation is generally NOT covered in most US health policies. The bills could be HUGE. And what about trip cancellation/trip interruption??? What if your NCL booked flights have a glitch and you miss the cruise??? How are you going to get to the next port??? Who is going to eat the cost of hotels, transport, food??? It is NOT going to be NCL. AND the airlines have NO obligation to get you any further than your original destination with your consolidator class, heavily discounted business class tickets. So you are one your own-you MAY get some help rebooking a flight from NCL (don't count on it). But most of the costs are going to be paid BY YOU.

I wouldn't leave the USA without VERY good travel insurance. IMHO, very, very foolish.

Before buying trip insurance, check your other existing options first, then you can tailor the travel insurance to your needs.

For instance, we do have medical evacuation and care covered anywhere in the world through our medical coverage. We have to pay first, so we make sure we have a credit card with a large credit line with us. Pre-approval usually takes a few days, and then all the bills would go to our carrier.

Most credit cards cover trip interruption and delayed luggage to some degree. Check and see what your credit card includes (the one you use to pay for the air and cruise). A business credit card has more coverage, I believe.

So, when I buy travel insurance, I only get the cancellation and interruption coverage, and not the medical.

• 1 month later...

Is booking cruise air better than booking your own air travel?. Currently the quote we have from our TA is much lower than booking the flight ourselves. However we were advised this price can go up. Going cruise air makes me nervous as we don't have much of a window as our ship sails at 5 therefore we can't afford many delays etc. Can you go down the day before with cruise air if you choose?

Is booking cruise air better than booking your own air travel?. Currently the quote we have from our TA is much lower than booking the flight ourselves. However we were advised this price can go up. Going cruise air makes me nervous as we don't have much of a window as our ship sails at 5 therefore we can't afford many delays etc. Can you go down the day before with cruise air if you choose?

Did you read the first part of this thread??? It explains all the pitfalls of cruise air (and there are MANY). 90% of cruise air arrives DAY OF CRUISE. Little time for "glitches.

Going the day before will involve an air deviation fee and MAY cause a large upcharge in the fare.

Start another thread in this forum with your dates, departure airport and destination and the cruise air price. We will all try to help find you a decent fare that does NOT have all the cruise air restrictions and pitfalls.

I have read through every post in this thread. Maybe I'm dense or something, but I still don't understand the "deviation" charge...

My mom and I are currently booked on a Carnival cruise...we went ahead and booked our flights at the same time with them, although we do have the option of cancelling the flights up until two + months beforehand.

We weren't quoted any kind of deviation fee, nor did we talk about non-stop flights or anything. Just paid for airfare and transporation fees.

so, this deviation fee/charge is....???

(thanks.)

so, this deviation fee/charge is....???
To put it in a nutshell, a fee to allow you to pick your own flights.

Otherwise, you'll get whatever the cruise line picks for you. Which may well be the cheapest (and possibly the nastiest) flights they can find. If you let them do it, enjoy your flutter in the lottery. And no, the cruise line does not guarantee that the flights that they pick will, in the event, get you to the ship before it sails. (They should if all goes well, but ...)

• 1 month later...

We are looking for one way LAX-SYD on 10/18/2009. We will be asking Princess for an air deviation. We would love to fly Qantas' new Airbus. I'm afraid that the upcharge will be more than we want to pay. If we book ourselves, the best fare seems to be on Air Pacific. I have not read much good about that airline. I know they are code share with Air New Zealand. Is there anyway to find out if any possible flights that day are actually Air New Zealand flights? Also, what is your opinion of Air Pacific?

Thanks...

We are looking for one way LAX-SYD on 10/18/2009. We will be asking Princess for an air deviation. We would love to fly Qantas' new Airbus. I'm afraid that the upcharge will be more than we want to pay. If we book ourselves, the best fare seems to be on Air Pacific. I have not read much good about that airline. I know they are code share with Air New Zealand. Is there anyway to find out if any possible flights that day are actually Air New Zealand flights? Also, what is your opinion of Air Pacific?

Thanks...

You would have to ask for SPECIFIC flights for air deviation. IF the requests were denied or if the upcharge was large, you would have your answer.

I find nothing "WRONG" with Air Pacific. No, it is NOT Qantas. Singapore, Cathay or British Airways, with the absolutely stellar service. But AirPacific is a darn sight better than some of the US airlines (US Air specifically). Free booze, decent meals. Some planes have seat back videos, some have the overhead videos. Blankets/pillows/headphones for all.

The flight break is Nadi is APPRECIATED. Just enough time to GET OFF the plane, wander around, buy a few Fiji souvenirs, watch the Fijian "witch doctor" at the airport welcome every one-"BULA". NICE break in an otherwise VERY long flight.

AND IF the flight is not full, the check in agents will usually offer an upgrade to business class. $500-700pp at the airport. PLUS if you book an aisle and an aisle in coach at the rear of the plane, leaving the middle of the row open, you often get a row to yourselves. Flip up the armrests and you can sleep toe to toe all the way to Nadi.

If you need further info, please start a new thread.

Edited by greatam

• 1 month later...

Carnival's Air department just pulled a good one. They booked someone's flight to land at the time as the DHS boarding cut-off and when they called they were told they would hold a shuttle for them - nothing was said about holding the ship.:rolleyes:

I am new to the cruise/air option. We have reserved it from PHX to MIA for a March departure. I have been told repeatedly that the price includes an overnight prior to the cruise in MIA. When we made the reservation, the airfare through the cruise line was cheaper than it would be on our own. Now that the fares have come down some it might be a wash.

My fear is that we will be flying all day, and end up in a dive of a hotel. I know that the advise will probably be to forgo the cruise/air and book on our own, which might be my preference. However, one couple in our party has already paid in full...but technically we are not required to pay until the end of December.

Any thoughts?

I am new to the cruise/air option. We have reserved it from PHX to MIA for a March departure. I have been told repeatedly that the price includes an overnight prior to the cruise in MIA. When we made the reservation, the airfare through the cruise line was cheaper than it would be on our own. Now that the fares have come down some it might be a wash.

My fear is that we will be flying all day, and end up in a dive of a hotel. I know that the advise will probably be to forgo the cruise/air and book on our own, which might be my preference. However, one couple in our party has already paid in full...but technically we are not required to pay until the end of December.

Any thoughts?

Why you would get a free overnight is beyond me???? And why you would be repeatedly told you would get a free overnight is also a big question????

Cruise air is booked at the CHEAPEST rates the cruise line can contract for. And the cheapest for most of March are those below.

AA flies nonstop PHX/MIA arriving at 2:40PM

US flies a 12:55AM (very early) arriving at 12:50PM (with two stops).

US also flies a late night (midnight) flight to Charlotte, with early morning connections into MIA. Also a flight to JFK that connects through Las . Arrives JFK early morning-plenty of time for flights to MIA (and there are a lot of flights from NYC to MIA). Also a PHX nonstop to EWR (Newark), arrives again very early morning, with connections to MIA.

Don't count on a free overnight. Don't count on a daytime flight. And don't let yourself be SURPRISED!!!!

BOOK YOUR OWN AIR and fly a day before. Book a Priceline hotel (although that could be iffy due to Spring Break) You will have soooo many less problems and will actually be able to enjoy your cruise. Flying all night and trying to enjoy the first day of your cruise will be a nightmare. And it is definitely a possibility that those are the flights you will be put on. Did you read the first part of this thread????

If you have not paid in full can you change your reservation to book your own air if it was originally reserved with cruise air? You have all sufficiently enlightened me!!

Elizabeth

Yes, you can cancel cruise air without penalty until final payment.

How doe the cruiselines handle an Air Deviation booking when the flights change?

For example, if you book an air deviation for a particular flight and that flight gets cancelled,

Can you pick the replacement flight with no extra fee?

Do you have to accept the replacement flight with no options?

Can you cancel the air, the cruise becuase of the change in flights?

Does air deviation really protect you if so many flights are being cancelled or changes?

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't booked cruise air in about 15 years, but I heard that RCCL's custom air was usually priced very competitively, so I had my TA check with them today. What a fiasco!!!

We are flying LAX-HNL, cruising on a b2b, and ending up in Perth. I have already purchased Perth-Sydney, and Sydney-HNL. All my TA asked for was a quote on the LAX-HNL roundtrip portion.

Well, the "custom air" quoted LAX-HNL, then PERTH-HNL!!! My TA said, no, we want LAX-HNL roundtrip. RCCL insisted on doing the booking their way, and said we could change it later. Go figure that one out??????

Also, their quote was $500 more per person than what I can get for my total air myself.

I asked my TA, "where is the 'custom' in the phrase 'custom air'???? We are almost Diamond Plus with RCCL, and either my TA caught a newbie on the phone, or RCCL's air department doesn't do anything other than embarkation-debarkation flights.

I told my TA to forget the cruise air, and she and I are looking for separate air for the LAX-HNL run.

RCCL's air department doesn't do anything other than embarkation-debarkation flights.

Peggy, that's exactly it. With custom air you have to fly into the airport where the ship embarks and fly home from the airport where the ship disembarks - and they have a limit on how many days in advance you can fly in and how many days after you can stay (with RCCL it's usually 3). Your request was completely out of the realm of custom air.

Peggy, that's exactly it. With custom air you have to fly into the airport where the ship embarks and fly home from the airport where the ship disembarks - and they have a limit on how many days in advance you can fly in and how many days after you can stay (with RCCL it's usually 3). Your request was completely out of the realm of custom air.

Thanks, and you've just reinforced my thoughts that there's really no "custom" in "custom air". :D

Thanks, and you've just reinforced my thoughts that there's really no "custom" in "custom air". :D

The custom part is you can I say I want to come in 2 days early on flight XYZ instead of them fly you in day of cruise on the flight of their choice. But, no they don't allow you to do unlimited bookings with them.

I guess where I misunderstood their service was wanting to fly into my port of departure on the embarkation day (within their policies), but fly out of another location after debarkation, and 3 days later. I think the 3 days would have been OK, but since the cruise didn't end in HNL, they wanted to fly me from Perth where my second cruise ends.

Lesson learned.