Formal Dinners

You might want to do a search yourself because this question is going to pull out the crowd!

IMO, no, it is not appropriate attire. Formal means at the very least a dark suit, preferably a tuxedo. The cruise line defines this as formal attire. However, many posters on this forum do not agree.

The clothing you describe would be casual, IMO.

You are going to get many replies as this topic comes up often. You may want to do a search and check out some of the previous posts.

With that being said I will bow out of this thread before it Mount Vesuvius erupts. :)

Here's the solution we have all been waiting for - there is a naturist cruise in the Med this summer. I doubt they are worrying about what constitutes formal wear or casual wear. But if they did - I wonder will they be wearing dickie bows?

Acceptable? They won't bar you from the dining room.

Although if you're wearing slacks and a collared shirt on formal night what will you wear on casual evenings? Tank tops and shorts ARE prohibited in the dining room. Will you choose sweats or pajamas?

I sailed my first cruise on the Carnival Liberty last year. The cruise had two formal nights. So I went out and spent over a thousand dollars on suites and formal dresses. When we got on board the ship it turned out that one of the formal nights was (optional) 6 night cruise. Even on the formal night I noticed plenty of men in just slacks and nice shirts. Even more kids with just shorts and sandles. I for one plan to avoid the formal nights this go around. I dress up every day for work and I don't want to be told to do it on my vacation. So on formal nights this time around I will seek alternative dining options. I would do whatever makes you comfortable, and not take too much stock in peoples opinions on here...not even mine!:D Just have a good time!! Go naked and wear a tie!!!

Mary - Sunny/Fla

I'm going to assume you are asking for a bonafide opinion. IMHO, yes, you will need to wear a jacket on formal night:D But that is just MHO.

Okay, now, I'll need to have some of that popcorn and let me grab my Diet DP:D

I sailed my first cruise on the Carnival Liberty last year. The cruise had two formal nights. So I went out and spent over a thousand dollars on suites and formal dresses. When we got on board the ship it turned out that one of the formal nights was (optional) 6 night cruise. Even on the formal night I noticed plenty of men in just slacks and nice shirts. Even more kids with just shorts and sandles. I for one plan to avoid the formal nights this go around. I dress up every day for work and I don't want to be told to do it on my vacation. So on formal nights this time around I will seek alternative dining options. I would do whatever makes you comfortable, and not take too much stock in peoples opinions on here...not even mine!:D Just have a good time!! Go naked and wear a tie!!!

If you've already spent a thousand dollars, why not wear the clothes and enjoy?

And kudos for doing the alternative dining options if you plan not to follow the required dress code for the evening.

If you've already spent a thousand dollars, why not wear the clothes and enjoy?

And kudos for doing the alternative dining options if you plan not to follow the required dress code for the evening.

Ugggg!! I hate it when people make a good point!! lol O.K. you got me...give me a few minutes I am sure I can think of a reason why not to wear them...:rolleyes:

Ugggg!! I hate it when people make a good point!! lol O.K. you got me...give me a few minutes I am sure I can think of a reason why not to wear them...:rolleyes:

How about - "They are a pain to pack" - "They are not comfortable" - "I don't wanna" I think any of those could work for you.:)

Archived