Inside Room -- will I hate it?

cbpanda

We've only been on 2 cruises (with one upcoming) and had a balcony room on each of them. Opportunity has come up for another cruise next year, but we will most likely only be able to get an inside room. I'm worried that I won't like it. It is a very port intensive itinerary, with only two sea days. DH says that I won't notice the difference.:rolleyes:

Can anyone tell me the benefits of an inside room, besides price?

Thanks.

Inside rooms are very dark, which makes sleeping easier.

We've done insides, although it has been awhile, and I think they are fine on port-intensive cruises. For cruises with many sea days, we do prefer an outside or balcony cabin.

On most cruise ships, the inside and balcony cabins are the same size, not counting the balcony. So that should not be a problem for you. While we usually get a balcony, I would much prefer an inside cabin to staying home.

paul

take a flashlight if booking an inside cabin so you won't distrub your partner if you get up during the night.... book an inside and ask for a up grade and hope for the best....

take a flashlight if booking an inside cabin so you won't distrub your partner if you get up during the night.... book an inside and ask for a up grade and hope for the best....

Thanks for the idea. We always bring a nightlight, but there's not always somewhere to plug it in.

I had my first inside cabin in February and it was fine for me, but I was out and about a lot. (I was also traveling solo.)

I brought battery operated candles for my cabin and they provided enough light to get around and a nice ambiance. Also, I tended to keep the television on overnight to see the Web cam whenever I would wake up.

I did sleep like a rock as others have mentioned--it was kind of weird:confused:

While most people tend to prefer an outside cabin, the inside cabin is almost identical but just minus the window. Unless you spend most of your cruise in your cabin (why bother to cruise then?), the inside cabin is a way to save some $$$ and is certainly better than staying home.

The biggest advantage for me of an outside cabin window is instant knowledge about weather conditions, plus some morning light to help wake up while in a different time zone. If there is some serious scenery viewing to be done, you're more likely to be out on deck anyway.

Like everything about cruising, it's all opinion. Ask 10 different people and you'll get nearly that many different ideas.

I had my first inside cabin in February and it was fine for me, but I was out and about a lot. (I was also traveling solo.)

I brought battery operated candles for my cabin and they provided enough light to get around and a nice ambiance. Also, I tended to keep the television on overnight to see the Web cam whenever I would wake up.

I did sleep like a rock as others have mentioned--it was kind of weird:confused:

Oh....I like this idea better than the flashlight.

Thanks for all the great advice.

While most people tend to prefer an outside cabin, the inside cabin is almost identical but just minus the window. Unless you spend most of your cruise in your cabin (why bother to cruise then?), the inside cabin is a way to save some $$$ and is certainly better than staying home.

The biggest advantage for me of an outside cabin window is instant knowledge about weather conditions, plus some morning light to help wake up while in a different time zone. If there is some serious scenery viewing to be done, you're more likely to be out on deck anyway.

Like everything about cruising, it's all opinion. Ask 10 different people and you'll get nearly that many different ideas.

You're absolutely right, of course. It is all opinion, but opinions are what makes the world go 'round.

And while we do not spend all of our time in the cabin, as I said before we've always had a balcony and do spend a fair amount of time out there enjoying time together.

That said -- I, too, would rather be inside than at home.

Once DH and I had sailed with a balcony, we thought that we would never again cruise without one. Then, DH asked if I would like to go on a late fall cruise last year in addition to our usual trip in January/February. He said it would have to be a "cheap" trip: inside stateroom, flight on day of sailing (no hotel overnight), and limited shore excursions, etc. DH was making an offer I couldn't refuse! :D

We had an inside stateroom on the Star Princess and were happy as clams. The cabin size was comparable to balcony staterooms on "grand" class ships, and we easily survived the week-long voyage without a balcony. That said, on a longer cruise, I would want a balcony but when DH offers to take me on an interim "cheap" cruise, I'm not going to turn it down. :p

Hope you see this, Sweetie. ;)

Chris

Once DH and I had sailed with a balcony, we thought that we would never again cruise without one. Then, DH asked if I would like to go on a late fall cruise last year in addition to our usual trip in January/February. He said it would have to be a "cheap" trip: inside stateroom, flight on day of sailing (no hotel overnight), and limited shore excursions, etc. DH was making an offer I couldn't refuse! :D

We had an inside stateroom on the Star Princess and were happy as clams. The cabin size was comparable to balcony staterooms on "grand" class ships, and we easily survived the week-long voyage without a balcony. That said, on a longer cruise, I would want a balcony but when DH offers to take me on an interim "cheap" cruise, I'm not going to turn it down. :p

Hope you see this, Sweetie. ;)

Chris

It is a longer cruise -- 12 days, but very port intensive (10 ports). So, I figure the thrill of waking up in a new place everyday should overcome waking up, walking out to the balcony and seeing the sun come up.

Have I figured correctly? :confused:

I'm sure it will be fine. I'll just have to get dressed to see the sun come up!

I'm in the same situation - spoiled by having my first two cruises in a balcony room! This time we took an inside. I was wondering if I made a mistake by skipping the "oceanview" category altogether and heading right into the inside room.

Nice to read all the opinions on here. I figured thousands of inside rooms are filled every day on ships around the world, so they can't be too bad! ;)

As was said earlier, by taking the inside room, I was able to squeeze in another cruise before I would have been able to otherwise, with most balcony rooms costing at least TWICE as much!

In 30 days, I guess I'll find out! HAHA! :D

You didn't mention which ship you are considering. On the Sun class ships, the inside rooms are smaller. Ideally, get an inside cabin aft on the Aloha deck, so you can step out to the rear sundeck. We've done several inside cabins, and they are OK. Better than staying home!

We were upgraded to an outside cabin on first cruise. Really enjoyed it.

Had a family suite balcony on DCL. Practically NEVER used the balcony...too busy during day, when kids were sleeping it is very disturbing to them to use balcony (murphy bed pulls down RIGHT in front of it!)

Had interior this time...really didn't mind! I am all about the most for my $, and an interior does it! I also so no mind for nightlight: a bit of light comes through cracks around door from hallway! JUST the right amount light!

We see the room as a place to sleep, shower & :D. Interiors fit the bill.

When I was younger and sailed in a room with Mom and Dad, we always had a suite with balcony for the four of us. For my last two cruises with hubby, we've sailed in the cheapest inside room and are booked for it again in the Med.

Honestly, I don't mind at all. We have found all our rooms peaceful, dark, and quiet and gotten truly amazing sleep. Not having a window or balcony gets me motivated in the morning to get out in the sun and enjoy the view!

It is a longer cruise -- 12 days, but very port intensive (10 ports). So, I figure the thrill of waking up in a new place everyday should overcome waking up, walking out to the balcony and seeing the sun come up... I'm sure it will be fine. I'll just have to get dressed to see the sun come up!

I think you will be fine if you have plans to disembark at all the ports and spend minimal time in your stateroom. DH and I really enjoy just being on the ship and often don't even get off in ports that we've visited previously. In our case, having a balcony is a way to enjoy the ports without disembarking.

When we had the inside stateroom on the Star last November, we found plenty of nooks & crannies all over the ship where we could play Scrabble or read without feeling confined to our cabin. I'm sure you'll make the most of it, too.

Bon Voyage!

Chris

last October. We were on the Rivera Deck, cabin R726. It was a good cabin for the two of us, we rarely got in each other’s way. However, with 3-4, it may be a bit of a squeeze. However, we decided to go with another inside cabin on our next cruise and put the extra $$$ into other areas while on ship/shore.

You probably won't be in the cabin much anyway. Be sure to take a night light or something - its dark in there....

Our first two cruises the caribbean we had balcony cabins, then we got a too good to miss deal on HAL's baltic cruise, that was an inside. On a port intensive cruise, can't say i missed the balcony, well not for price diffference. :) We are sailing tomorrow on Acadia and thats an inside cabin, as the balcony would have been an extra $750 each, which instead we have put towards our Balcony cabin, on Sapphire Princess. Lots more sea days = more time to chill on you own balcony. I think on a very port intensive cruise, and inside will be fine.

Thanks for the idea. We always bring a nightlight, but there's not always somewhere to plug it in.

Leave the Bath Room Light on.

There is enough light shining through the space around the door to provide

enough light to see at night.

That is what we do when in an inside cabin.

Enjoy your cruise.

It is a longer cruise -- 12 days, but very port intensive (10 ports). So, I figure the thrill of waking up in a new place everyday should overcome waking up, walking out to the balcony and seeing the sun come up.

Have I figured correctly? :confused:

I'm sure it will be fine. I'll just have to get dressed to see the sun come up!

When you go deck, you can say to yourself "Surprise, you have arrived at _________ port. "

Archived