Inside Room -- will I hate it?

cbpanda

I'm a bit of an accommodation snob, I admit it. I like the best I can get (afford?) when it comes to hotels and cruises - balconies, suites if I can swing it.

Having said that, on our Disney cruise we booked on Wednesday to sail Sunday and all that was available was Cat 11, the second lowest Cat. and an inside :eek:

I was dreading that part of it, but you know what? It was fine, the large wall mirror reflected light to make the room brighter. It was quiet, comfortable and I didn't find it claustrophobic at all. I gotused to it right away and other then not knowing what the weather was like outside when I was in the room, there were no issues.

So if a snobby chick like me can survive and enjoy and inside cabin - anyone can. :D

Book the inside cabin, but keep checking the price of your cruise. For our June 2007 Alaska cruise, the price of obstructed oceanview cabins went down to less than what we were originally paying for our inside cabin, so we switched cabins in December. I really don't care about having a window, but I like the new cabin location better as well as saving some money.

I find the price difference between an inside and obstructed outside cabin to oftentimes be reasonable--$100 or less, per person--and I'm willing to pay a little more for the week-long pleasure of the window (especially since the obstructed cabins on Princess Grand-class ships often offer pretty good views).

For the price difference that some people pay between an inside and a balcony, they could often buy first class (rather than coach) airfare to/from their cruise. This an expense I'm personally much more willing to incur--balconies are fine and dandy, but given the stress and hassles of flying, the comfort and convenience of going first class is money better spent IMHO. YMMV.

plus some morning light to help wake up while in a different time zone.

One trick is to bring a timer and put it on the TV. You can have the TV turn on automatically in the morning with the WebCaM channel and therefore get an outside view to the water and get some light that will help wake you up. If you set the volume low, it will gently wake you to light music.:)

I have been on ten cruises (on five different cruise lines and seven different ships), and every one of them was in an inside cabin.

We originally chose them for economy, but quickly learned to appreciate the dark and the "smoother ride".

We know that the room is only for sleeping, bathing, and dressing - we don't see a windowless room as claustrophobic, simply because it has no window - we spend all of our time in the public areas, but usually go back to our own private bathrooms.

We've developed a "code" for announcing we're going to the bathroom:

"office" means bathroom

"p-mail" means the obvious

"fax" means the other one, involving rolls of paper

Try it,

Mark:D

We have done the inside and had no problems. It costs much less, thus more vacations. Also, the cabins have had mirrors to help make the room appear larger than it is and also more airy. I would choose the inside, you aren't in there much anyway! Have a great cruise whatever you choose.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with all these posts that an inside cabin is fine. Except, if you have a tendency to get seasick.

My husband really needs to be able to see the horizon and he didn't have an outside cabin on his first cruise and when it was rough it really bothered him.

That's my only advice on an inside cabin.

One trick is to bring a timer and put it on the TV. You can have the TV turn on automatically in the morning with the WebCaM channel and therefore get an outside view to the water and get some light that will help wake you up. If you set the volume low, it will gently wake you to light music.:)

Oh, I love this idea! This will also help because DH likes to go to sleep to the TV, and I'm assuming that the Princess remotes don't have "sleep timers". :)

I have been on ten cruises (on five different cruise lines and seven different ships), and every one of them was in an inside cabin.

We originally chose them for economy, but quickly learned to appreciate the dark and the "smoother ride".

We know that the room is only for sleeping, bathing, and dressing - we don't see a windowless room as claustrophobic, simply because it has no window - we spend all of our time in the public areas, but usually go back to our own private bathrooms.

We've developed a "code" for announcing we're going to the bathroom:

"office" means bathroom

"p-mail" means the obvious

"fax" means the other one, involving rolls of paper

Try it,

Mark:D

This is too funny!:D I have to share this with my two boys (hubby & son). We hate the public bathrooms, so I am certain we'll be talking about going to the "office" during our next cruise! Thank you, Mark.

On most cruise ships, the inside and balcony cabins are the same size, not counting the balcony. So that should not be a problem for you. While we usually get a balcony, I would much prefer an inside cabin to staying home.

paul

Yes I would prefer a lovely mini suite.....

Though travelling single and paying almost double.

Yes its better to travel inside than not at all.:)

Again I need to be a contrarian on this thread,

My wife and I have sailed with Princess 9 times, and have always booked a mini-suite with balcony. Our choice of cabin is a very important part of our cruise. We do spend a lot of time in the cabin, watching TV, sleeping, reading, and enjoying our morning coffee (inside or on the balcony weather permitting). In ports we have previously visited, we enjoy sitting on the balcony watching the activities which are taking place outside.

On sea days, we love watching sunsets and sunrise, sea condidions, other ships, etc. Bottom line, access to the real world is very important to us.

I have seen those inside cabins. They are small. I am claustophobic (sp?) and could not stand such a room for very long.

I asked my wife this morning, given a choice between an inside cabin, and no cruise at all, she said, how much do you save with an inside cabin? As far as she is concerned, she would rather stay home (so would I) and save some money towards a future cruise with a mini-suite/balcony.

I guess this choice is a very personal one. For us, we would rather stay home. For others, I assume an inside cabin is better than no cruise at all. To each his/her own I suppose.

Here's my recommendation:

1. Book the inside cabin

2. Take an amount of money equal to the (significant) price difference between your inside cabin and a much pricier balcony room.

3. Put that money in an online savings account that pays a competitive rate (like, say, INGdirect.com or HSBSdirect.com)

4. Enjoy your cruise in the inside cabin

5. After you return home, look at the balance of your savings account and the amount of interest you earn daily, and then enjoy the thought of knowing you have that money saved and that it increases every day.

6. Repeat step 5 (above) daily/weekly/monthly

This is PERFECT! Exactly the way we feel about it. In fact, I like a inside better than a balcony (but might like a mini-suite, though I've never had one). And an inside cabin just seems like it has a better layout. Balcony cabins are often HOT and sunny, the balconies aren't generally that large (I know, I know, CARIBE deck balconies are), and the noise and smoke from adjacent balconies usually prevents one from leaving the door open all the time.

Saying that, I have to be close to an outside deck, just steps away, preferably. We love the aft Aloha deck area on many Princess ships; on the Celebrity Summit, we had a cabin just steps away from the main atrium...I would rather have an inside that is NOT part of a ship-long corridor of cabins with no door at the end than a balcony that is.

We've Been On 3 Cruises W/ Inside Cabin. We Visited The Neighbors Who Had A Larger Balcony Cabin. Both Were Nice; When We Want Windows They Can Always Be Found In Public Areas. You Really Can't Go Wrong, Barring Claustrophobia.

Steve

We've Been On 3 Cruises W/ Inside Cabin. We Visited The Neighbors Who Had A Larger Balcony Cabin. Both Were Nice; When We Want Windows They Can Always Be Found In Public Areas. You Really Can't Go Wrong, Barring Claustrophobia.

Steve

We booked an inside and found the cabin to appear larger due to the illusion with the mirrors. No problem for us with claustrophobia.

My wife is afraid of heights, so it is always inside for us. In alaska we ordered 2 pots of coffee from roomservice and went upstairs for viewing the glacires the extra room was wonderful. One hard lesson though is set the alarm for the morning after your first night. The first time we were inside, after a long flight, even coming a day precruise, we slept until 3 the next afternoon almost missing a whole day of our cruise.

Hello Everyone,

Pat & Les here from the UK, We are on the sea princess 2nd June i/side cabin dolphin deck cat j d333 cabin, anyone been on her wondering if this area of the ship is ok, This is only our second cruise and the first with princess,we are really looking forward to it any tips about life on board would be grately appreciated.

Thanks Les & Pat

Happy hols everyone.

. One hard lesson though is set the alarm for the morning after your first night. The first time we were inside, after a long flight, even coming a day precruise, we slept until 3 the next afternoon almost missing a whole day of our cruise.

I had to laugh about setting an alarm. We were traveling with 4 other couples and on our first port day...we never saw one of the couples...didn't see them leave the ship...didn't see them return...they weren't at dinner...saw them the next night and as it turned out when the wife looked at the clock at 6:00....she walked out to see if there were anyone around..saw a steward and asked for morning coffey (first time cruiser). He looked at her rather oddly and asked if she weren't going to go to dinner...they had slept through their first port....woke up 18 hours later!!:eek:

If an Inside cabin = more trips, definately take the inside cabin. An inside cabin at sea is much better than a day still working at home. We tend to spend too much time in our rooms if we have a nice balcony. If the cruise is port intensive, how much time will you really be in there anyway? We did get a nice bumpout balcony to go through the Panama Canal, though. It was great be most of the time it is too windy to actually enjoy the balcony unless you are out while in port. We never spend much time on the ship so an inside room really makes good $ sense for us.

Well, my first cruise was in a balcony and so was my second, we get a lot of usage from the balcony. I now have 3 more booked all with a balcony. My wife has had an inside before and she won't go back!

In September for the one night cruise from Seattle to Vancouver I'm going to book the cheapest possible cabin just so I can see the difference for future reference. Hey, it's only one night, how bad can it be? :)

Archived