ATM questions

Moonglow

We will be ending a cruise in Sydney and staying awhile. Does anyone know if there are ATMs in or real near the cruise terminal. We will need to take a cab and will need A dollars. Not sure if the ship will have A dollars as it is the Regal Princess which when arriving in Sydney will be turned over to P & O Australia. One more question. Do Australian ATMs use 4 number pin codes. Thanks for any help.

Carol

We will need to take a cab and will need A dollars.

All cabs in Australia take credit cards (Amex, Diners, Mastercard and Visa). You won't need Aussie dollars if it is only for a cab fare. And please don't tip in Australia.

The Regal Princess will have both Australian and U.S. currencies on board. We have always found that when on a ship, if the currency is in U.S. then the ship will also carry the currency of the port you are visiting which in this case is Australia.

Jennie

You won't have any trouble finding any ATMs or using EFTPOS. Esp in the city - no worries at all. Now, the last time I used my credit card in a taxi they added 10% onto the fare to use the visa machine. It is easier to tell the cabbie to stop at an atm and jump out, get the cash, then go on to your destination so it won't cost too much. However, if you are only going on a short trip it won't matter!

However, I must say that it may have changed, so don't take my advise as Gospel. Maybe you can hear more accurate info from another person who uses taxis more - I use cash now and I have not thought to ask!

You won't have any trouble finding any ATMs or using EFTPOS. Esp in the city - no worries at all. Now, the last time I used my credit card in a taxi they added 10% onto the fare to use the visa machine. It is easier to tell the cabbie to stop at an atm and jump out, get the cash, then go on to your destination so it won't cost too much. However, if you are only going on a short trip it won't matter!

However, I must say that it may have changed, so don't take my advise as Gospel. Maybe you can hear more accurate info from another person who uses taxis more - I use cash now and I have not thought to ask!

Taxi's do add a service fee of around 5% to cover credit card merchant fees (a bit of trivia but Australia is one of very few countries that allow merchants to charge a fee for credit card payments). Anyway if you withdraw Aussie cash you are going to be charged a fee by your bank and the "öwner" of the ATM, plus you will be hit up with forex fees when you go to covert the leftover currency back into USD. I travel a lot on business and try to avoid, wherever possible, using cash.

Whenever we travel, we always start off from home with the currency of the country we are going to visit.

We go to our Bank here in Oz and buy a small amout of either U.S. dollars if we are visiting the U.S., Canadian dollars if we are visiting Canada and Euros if we are going to be in Europe or all three if we are doing a big trip visiting all those countries in one hit.

This way we always have cash for cabs etc. and anything small we need. We use credit cards for restaurants, hotels, shopping etc. If we run out of cash we will then go to the ATM and withdraw, though you are charged a fee.

Jennie

It has been almost 10 years since we spent a week in Sydney, so things may have changed, but we were NOT able to find an ATM on our network (Plus) - we tried for several days. We ended up going to a bank to cash Traveler’s Checks. We didn't have any problems anywhere in NZ during our 3 weeks there, but Sydney....

I'd check on-line to see where the ATMs for your network are in Sydney.

We absolutely LOVED Sydney, that was our only problem - and minor at that.

Okay, now I get it..... pretty much all ATMs use plus as they all have stickers advertising this.... I knew it was a brand for a card, so now I know it is a US brand! You will have NO WORRIES with Plus.... I know that Commonwealth, Westpac, St George, ANZ, NAB etc etc etc all accept plus.

Enjoy Aus!:)

G'Day Mate,

Off to Oz are we?

You can use pretty well all NA cards anywhere in the world.

Same as home in Canada/USA;

a. insert card in machine

b. insert YOUR PIN

c. select denomination of cash

d. remove cash

e. remove receipt

Just remember that the balance in your account (if it shows on the receipt) will not be the same as what is on the receipt due to the difference in the exchange rate.

Ciao for now!!!

• 1 month later...
All cabs in Australia take credit cards (Amex, Diners, Mastercard and Visa). You won't need Aussie dollars if it is only for a cab fare. And please don't tip in Australia.

I have run across this in another area..the no tipping..so I DO have a question..when is it ok to tip & at that time what % do you tip? I am assuming you should tip when dining out? Do we NOT tip for bags or taxis? What about tours--do we tip the driver at the end? Wouldn't want to upset anyone & besides it gives us more $$ to spend in your country.:D

On Magellan's Travel Advice site, there is a great list for Worldwide Tipping Guides.

For Australia: Restaurants: 10% in fine restaurants only

Porters: $2.00 per bag

Taxis: Round Up

New Zealand: None...in all the categories.

We also are planning on obtaining AUD before our trip, at our local bank.

If you are using credit cards in a taxi do not add a tip. We do not tip our taxi cab drivers, other than rounding up to the nearest dollar.

We do tip our porters who bring the bags to our rooms in hotels but that is all and then only a small amount - $2.

We also give a tip if we have enjoyed a meal in the evening usually 10%. At lunchtime if we eat in a bistro or cafe or just order a coffee we do not tip. No-one is offended if they are not tipped as we all get good wages down here and tipping is just an extra for good service.

Of course if the service staff hear an American accent, they will expect a tip more so than if they were serving an Aussie as they are not stupid and know about the American way of tipping.

Jennie

On Magellan's Travel Advice site, there is a great list for Worldwide Tipping Guides.

For Australia: Restaurants: 10% in fine restaurants only

Porters: $2.00 per bag

Taxis: Round Up

New Zealand: None...in all the categories.

We also are planning on obtaining AUD before our trip, at our local bank.

OK--thanks oodles for that info:D

If you are using credit cards in a taxi do not add a tip. We do not tip our taxi cab drivers, other than rounding up to the nearest dollar.

We do tip our porters who bring the bags to our rooms in hotels but that is all and then only a small amount - $2.

We also give a tip if we have enjoyed a meal in the evening usually 10%. At lunchtime if we eat in a bistro or cafe or just order a coffee we do not tip. No-one is offended if they are not tipped as we all get good wages down here and tipping is just an extra for good service.

Of course if the service staff hear an American accent, they will expect a tip more so than if they were serving an Aussie as they are not stupid and know about the American way of tipping.

Jennie

Does that mean I need to keep my mouth SHUT??? :eek: that would be impossible for me --but glad to know downunder pays their help well--I personally don't think people up here should have to work in food service for LESS than minimum wage & the business expects US to tip them to make up for it--but I suppose this could be taken the wrong way..but to ME the company is taking more profits when they should be paying their help...now I will get off my soap box:D

Wouldn't want to upset anyone ...
I'd echo the "no tipping" advice for New Zealand. Offering Kiwis a tip is liable to cause offence and upset, so don't do it!

You won't really offend anyone in Australia either if you don't tip. If you feel bad or guilty at not tipping, that's entirely you beating yourself up.

Please don't tip the locals; it only encourages them :)

Seriously, as Aussie Gal says "we all get good wages down here and tipping is just an extra for good service". I've never yet been refused service, been abused, or seen a reduction in service, just because I didn't tip locally. I will only ever tip in a restaurant, and only then if I have received "above the call" service.

Maybe it's a personal thing; but I'd like to keep Australia "tip free". We like it that way.

I'd echo the "no tipping" advice for New Zealand. Offering Kiwis a tip is liable to cause offence and upset, so don't do it!

You won't really offend anyone in Australia either if you don't tip. If you feel bad or guilty at not tipping, that's entirely you beating yourself up.

OK everyone--we won't tip except where I was told to do so--great more money to spend now..:D

Thanks again everyone..

Same here - we only tip in restaurants when service has been good and in taxis rounding up to whole dollar amount. Certainly no one makes you feel like you must tip. Tipping in restaurants occurs more now than it did 20 years ago when it was just about unheard of - still not all that common in the rural areas. The wait staff will appreciate it and certainly won't take offence. Hope you all enjoy your time in our beautiful part of the world.

Does that mean I need to keep my mouth SHUT??? :eek: that would be impossible for me --but glad to know downunder pays their help well--I personally don't think people up here should have to work in food service for LESS than minimum wage & the business expects US to tip them to make up for it--but I suppose this could be taken the wrong way..but to ME the company is taking more profits when they should be paying their help...now I will get off my soap box:D

I am so with you on that.;)

Jennie

OK 1 more question on this---we(us personally) only pay $1 a bag..so it was pointed out as $2 a bag or $2 full?

Syl,

You can give $1 a bag or nothing at all. You will not be discriminated against at all. As I mentioned, everyone gets a good wage and therefore, the extra is just the "icing on the cake". When we stay at a hotel in the city, we hand the porter $2. Not per bag, just overall for bringing everything to our room.

Jennie

Syl,

You can give $1 a bag or nothing at all. You will not be discriminated against at all. As I mentioned, everyone gets a good wage and therefore, the extra is just the "icing on the cake". When we stay at a hotel in the city, we hand the porter $2. Not per bag, just overall for bringing everything to our room.

Jennie

Thanks Jennie..have a great cruise in a few days!!

I have never tipped a porter in Australia. I really don't think they expect it - certainly not from an Aussie anyway. As someone else mentioned, when they hear the American accent they might be a little more expectant.

Archived