First Cruise April 8...please help!

Hi Everyone,

just found this forum, wish it would have been sooner. We are leaving on our first cruise Sunday... Rhapsody of the Seas! My questions have probably been answered on other threads but I have one million things to do and have a billion questions so I hope you guys will be able to help me.

How much, on average, are drinks(alcoholic) on the ship?

I looked up the weather and it is saying rain everwhere we will be, will this hamper shore excursions? Does this affect activities on the ship if the weather is bad while at seas?

Other than the formal nights, other than jeans and shorts, can you wear pretty much anything to dinner?

How long does boarding take?

Anyone else going to be on the same sailing....April 8 and want to show a couple of newbies the ropes?

Thanks for your help. I am sure I will post again as soon as I remember th rest of my questions.

Visit the roll call for this cruise

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=487917

Sign up for the meet & mingle -- see it at the top of the threads under RCCL in Roll Call section. That's a get together on the ship.

Take a small flashlight if you have to potty at night, it can save your toes. No clocks on board, travel clock helpful.

We waited in line about an hour to board, got there at 3:30 -- not my idea. I wanted to be there earlier.

Welcome to CC and cruising! What a great vacation!

A couple of things comes to mind for first time cruisers:

Set-Sail pass: It will speed up getting on the ship if you have done it online.

Do you know how to do it / or have done it already? Just post for more info.

As soon as you arrive at the port you will be separated from your luggage (except carry on) until late in the afternoon or possibly early evening. So, carry valuables, medicine, required paperwork, and whatever else you don't want to do without for several hours.

Frequently Asked Questions

Here is the link to RCI

Frequently Asked Questions

Shots after dinner - $5.75 w/ souvenir glass

Drink of the day - $5.75 w/ souvenir glass $4.75 in regular glass (you have to request a regular glass)

Pina Colada on sail away day $5.75 w/ souvenir glass

Other froo froo drinks $4.75-6.75 ( I recommend wild berry lava flow and a love connection!)

The most expensive cocktail I remember seeing was around $12

Glasses of wine vary.

Everthing is billed a 15% gratuity

Go to Schooner's Bar and check out the drink Menu

Boleros has a different drink menu if there is a boleros on your ship.

Yes, weather may affect your shore excursions and tendering options. If the weather is bad, they will have more activities to do on the ship. Such as contests.

Wear what you would to a place like Applebees for non-formal nights. Or if you prefer to dress nicer, that's fine. There are also smart casual nights, too. Royal Caribbean has suggestions on its web page somewhere.

It depends on what time you get there on how long it takes to board. We arrived at 11am and where on the ship at 11:30. We were in line to board for about 15 minutes.

I'll try to answer some of your questions:

Alcoholic drinks: I've only bought one drink (it was a coffee/kahlua type drink) in the souvenir "swirl" glass and it was $8.95. I've read on these boards that you will pay less if you specifically ask for a non-souvenir glass.

Rainy days: depends on which excursions you've booked, and if they feel it will be dangerous. On our last few cruises, the rain was only a passing shower and didn't hamper anything. Onboard, outdoor pool games may be cancelled, but that's about all.

Dinner attire: I'm not going to touch this with a ten foot pole.;) Wear what you would wear to a nice restaurant at home.

Boarding time: Depends on the port, and what time you arrive. In Miami, we drove up at 12:05pm and were onboard in a half hour. That was with no line. There is a bit of walking and winding and going up and down escalators and elevators to actually reach the ship in Miami.

Enjoy your cruise!!

Don't worry too much about the weather--if it does rain, it's usually a passing shower. April is coming into the dry season, so that's good for you!

Believe it or not, you would have had just as good a time without this site as with it! Yes, there is some great info, but a cruise is a vacation! Almost everyone knows how to vacation without help! Just have fun--there's no right or wrong way to cruise!

Boarding time is not one hour before sailing. On most ships sailing in late afternoon, people will be able to board around noon, give or take a few minutes. What you need to be concerned about is checking in, and check-in technically ends one hour before sailing. So get there at the time specified in your cruise documents or even noonish and you should have no problem.

Embarkation: stat of your cruise. If you are driving to Galveston, consider going on lne and bookng your parkng reservation wth EZcruise.com save $5 and very, very quick service to the pier.

They will begin check-in shortly after 11a. Wait time varies. Once they open for boarding, it moves.

When someone said boarding, they meant coming back from a port. You always need to be back onboard an hour before the ship leaves.

Figure $6.00 a drink, pretty much average.

Dress: Many folks still dress up, many do not. Head over to Royalcaribbean.com and search for dress code to make yourself comfortable.

Rain: try weather.com for your ports. This time of year you will fnd later in the day showers. Do not let that deter you!

Raining while at sea: They have a ton of contingencies that will fill the day

Rhapsody: Considered one of the friendliest ships in all the RCI fleet. You will have alarge portion of Texans...we like to smile and enjoy life!

Evening..a bit on the adult side...spend some time with Derek Lewis in the Schooner Bar!

Bon Voyage!

Worry about the things you can control, do not worry the things you cannot!

Be sure to come back and give us all your thoughts after your first cruise!!!!!

Boarding the ship is done at embarkation. Returning to the ship after a shore visit is re-boarding, and you need to return to the ship at the time designated by the ship. It is sometimes only 15 minutes before the ship sails for the next port. This time will be highlighted in your daily program, and will be displayed on a signboard as you leave the gangway to go ashore. Pay very close attention to these times.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Yes, I guess I did mean embarking for the time it took to get on the ship.

I will post when we get back.

I was trying to get a general idea of what this "good deal" was going to end up really costing...thanks for all your replies. We generally do not drink but I was curious as to what a drink or two might end up costing.

We are really excited. If there are any suggestions please keep on posting.

You guys are great!!

Hi Everyone,

I looked up the weather and it is saying rain everwhere we will be, will this hamper shore excursions? Does this affect activities on the ship if the weather is bad while at seas?

Thanks for your help. I am sure I will post again as soon as I remember th rest of my questions.

DW and I went on the Western itinerary of FoS this past December and have some first hand experience on what Cozumel is like in the rain.

Depending on what you are planning to do in Cozumel, most likely you will need to ferry over to the mainland; ie Dolphins, ruins, several others. If it is raining or the seas are even slightly choppy, the ferry trip will be entertaining and you will want to take your dramamine before you leave the ship. Also be prepared to do some walking once you hit the mainland since the ferry dock is several blocks from where the buses load up and where they let you off to catch the ferry.

We did the Tulum Mayan Ruins and it was raining from the time we got off the ship to the time we boarded again. It was one of those nice steady soft rain and not a drenching or misting rain. Just enough to slightly annoy you and keep you wet for the entire time. :) Tulum was really very beautiful even in the rain and an interesting place to visit.

For our first cruise (October 2002), It had rained overnight on our way to St Maarten. It had stopped raining by the time we got there, but to some extent the damage was done. We booked the snorkling in St. Martin which for our trip was on the eastern side of the island. All of the rain and rough seas had stirred up the silt layer quite a bit and made it difficult to see some of the stuff that we normally would have. It also left the water a little choppy and I had problems with water in my breathing tube as the waves kept filling it with water. We still had a lot of fun snorkeling even with how it ended up.

I believe that as long as there are not thunderstorms or lightening, most excursions are on even while it is raining.

Either way, you will enjoy your trip whether it is raining or not!

If you haven't booked any excursion in Key West, just walk in to town and check out the local sites. Plenty of shops, dining and bars. The ship docks right in town. You can go in the morning, come back on the ship for lunch, then continue back into town if you like. Divide the town in to sections, and do one in the am, one after lunch.

In Cayman, we did the ship's tour to Spanish Bay Reef resort. It's an all inclusive resort with lunch and drinks included. Beach and snorkling were great with a nice swimming pool.

In Cozumel we did the ship's tour again, to Passion Island. This is where Corona produces all those neat beach commercials and they have some connection to the island. It's an entertaining bus ride to the northern tip of Cozumel, where you board a small boat to the island (the guide says, "you may swim if you like, if you don't like our little boat".)

Once on the island, they have the perfect beach. It's a great beach day, with food and drinks included in your ticket price. Depending on the number of ships in port that day, you may or may not tender.

Have a great time!

Rick and Deirdra

First cruise is always so exciting - you can't imagine how much fun it will be. Explore the ship so you know where everything is. If you need help or info, feel free to ask. Two things I always take with us - a nightlight for the bathroom, and Clorox wipes (I'm a bit of a germ-o-phobic) to use on the t.v. remote, phone, etc. Don't worry - your room will be cleaner than most hotel rooms, I just like to be cautious.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Pam in KY

Cruising 4/15/07

Thank you again everyone for your replies.

I went to Walmart today and got the clorox wipes and travel clock. Forgot the flashlight...oh well.. we'll just fumble our way through the room.

Leaving early in the am for the drive down to Galveston. Thanks for the tips on the parking facility...booked a spot there!

"See" everyone when we get back!!!

Archived