guitar on board?

Hello,

I am sailing on the Sovereign with my family at the end of this month for a 4 nighter to the Bahamas. This is our first time cruising. :D

My brother is a musician and pretty much always has his guitar on hand, strumming away at something. We're also spending a week in Orlando in addition to the cruise and so he is already predicting separation anxiety :eek: if he is without his guitar for this long, and so he wants to bring it along.

My question is whether this will be allowed to be brought on board? And also in the evenings, and of course if he's not disturbing anyone, is it ok for him to play quietly in our room or even up on deck? :confused:

Thanks for any thoughts or experiences you can share on this!

According to the cruise contract you are allowed 200 lbs. of luggage per person so I would think he is OK taking the guitar. I would carry it on the ship though, don't check it with the rest of the baggage. It won't fit through the carry-on scanner (they are like those in airports) but I'm sure the screeners would settle for a visual inspection. No comment on the "separation anxiety"....that is another matter entirely :) Who knows, maybe he can play onboard for the passengers...at the Schooner Bar maybe.

As it's your first cruise I hope it is a great one for you and your family. Sovereign of the Seas was the first ship I sailed on, back in 1990 when she was the biggest cruise ship in the world. She is a grand old lady. Enjoy...:)

Hello,

I am sailing on the Sovereign with my family at the end of this month for a 4 nighter to the Bahamas. This is our first time cruising. :D

My brother is a musician and pretty much always has his guitar on hand, strumming away at something. We're also spending a week in Orlando in addition to the cruise and so he is already predicting separation anxiety :eek: if he is without his guitar for this long, and so he wants to bring it along.

My question is whether this will be allowed to be brought on board? And also in the evenings, and of course if he's not disturbing anyone, is it ok for him to play quietly in our room or even up on deck? :confused:

Not many would want to hear him strumming on deck. Or, in the cabin for that matter. Tell him to leave it at home.

Last year my adult son brought his acoustic guitar on our family cruise. He played it all over the ship when there were not many other people around, but usually ended up with an audience. The piano player from the Schooner heard him and invited him to play in the Schooner late in the evenings with he and some of the other onboard musicians (employees) - usually about midnight. One night my husband played the piano there while the regular piano player was on the electric guitar, my son on acoustic, and the jazz singer sigining along. Funniest thing - my husband got a $5 tip from a fellow passenger that night! He still has that $5 bill.

Tell your son to bring his guitar if he wants!

Hello,

His guitar playing might be bothering other people on the ship. Just think about people that bring a radio to a public place and it's enjoyable to them, but annoying to the people that don't like that type of music.

I'd think the biggest problem would be the amount of space it'll take up. How many people are going to be in this stateroom?

Spacewise, a guitar equals about 6 pairs of shoes, so that'd be just about par for the course. ;)

Like Court said, we had a lot of fun "making some noise" together. Fellow cruisers are usually clearing out of the Schooner Bar between 12 and 1, and the few people left are tolerant or drunk (or both) enough to enjoy a spontaneous jam session. There's nothing more fun for any musician (professional or amateur) than playing with like-minded people. I'd take a bet the poor pianist on your cruise who had to sing "New York, New York" for 8 weeks in a row will be more than happy to have a little performance in the wee hours, too. Let your brother bring his guitar and make friends with fellow musicians. :)

G.

If he were in the cabin next to me and playing his guitar I wouldnt be happy. You say if he were not bothering people could he play it. How would he know if he were bothering people? Most people wouldnt knock on your cabin door and say anything, but that doesnt mean its ok with them just because they dont complain to you.

At one of the Kareoke (sp) nights on one cruise there was a guy that sang a Johnny Cash song and he was really good. Later in the week he was on deck strumming a guitar. Must have brought it with him.

Jan

On the Vision Mex. Riviera last year there was a young man strumming his guitar on deck. He was on portside of the ship and did not seem to disturb anyone. He also sang in the Kareoke (sp) competition. He sang a Johnny Cash's Ring of Fire and was very good. I said that's not the first time he did that. At the last show he admitted he had a band at home.

Jan

Did he ever think about purchasing a 'travel' guitar? A travel guitar has just the fretboard with strings. Because it doesn't have the 'body' attached to it, it shouldn't be loud at all. I also believe that travel guitars have an amp pickup jack so he can use it at home as well.

I think he could pick one up for about $100.

I took a acoustic guitar on one of my cruises back in the late 80's mainly because I was solo cruising. I am glad I did becauses it was with Regency cruise line which at the time had a large senior citizen contingency. I was only 21 at the time!!!

Our last cruise on the Sovereign was filled with music lovers, and a late night musician in one of the bars, after the regular entertainment and most guests were gone for the evening would have been welcome, depending on skill. If he wants to give something like that a try it won't hurt to ask and see if it is ok. Playing quietly in the cabin during the middle of the day is not likely to disturb anyone. I think that a lot of the egative reaction that you have gotten here is because of your wording about playing in the EVENINGS. The walls are truly super thin. These guys aren't exagerating about the cabin size...even something as small as a guitar takes up a lot of space in such a tiny room so he may want to seriously give that some thought before making a decision, depending on what kind of cabn he will be in and how many people will be in it.

Have a wonderful cruise and welcome to your new addiction!

A few years ago I was on the Rhapsody and we hung out with a group of really nice people - we were all in our early 20's. There were two brothers that were very talented musically one of them had his guitar onboard. We'd sit up on the pool deck late at night and he'd play and it never seemed to bother anyone - he actually had quite a following onboard!! At the end of the week he performed in the passenger talent show and won.

Tell him to bring the guitar! As long as he's good at it, I don't think many people will complain, providing he's not rocking out to metal at 6am. :D

Laura

Hey I'm just reading all these posts to my question today - thanks so much for your input! I will pass all of this onto my brother, the ways that it could work and also concerns. When I first asked my question, I kind of didn't want him to bring it and thought I would get a bunch of responses as to why he can't bring it, but the feedback is much more mixed than what I expected, and much more positive.

To answer some questions posed:

It was asked if he is good? He is very good, and plays all kinds of music, and nothing too hard or heavy. Everyone he's every met LOVES hearing him play. Not some learner hitting the wrong notes...

And for those concerned about the noise if playing in the cabin, good point about the walls being thin. As I have never cruised, I didn't realize this. I will definitely advise for no late night playing in the cabin, but other than that I am quite serious about quiet playing, definitely no louder than a tv and definitely no louder than boisterous talkers/laughers. And as for on deck I would think he would abide by the same thing, and also hang out somewhere where there are not many around (if this is possible?). I don't know, but personally I am happy to hear some soothing strumming over many other noises... but I totally get the fact that too loud is too loud regardless.

As for space, there will only be two in the cabin so I think that will be ok.

And thank you for those that shared your stories of how others have either played on board or have experienced others doing so. It sounds like it has worked out well, and been fun for everyone. My brother would love the idea of these impromptu late night jam sessions in the Schooner.

More stories and thoughts are definitely still appreciated ... thanks!

We never heard the tv or talking from either side of us last week so I doubt that a acoustic guitar would be louder than that. If he is playing on the balcony I would have him check with his neighbors since the sound really seemed to carry and have him keep it to earlier hours. I would have loved to have had his music next to us but everyone may not feel that way.

In the Schooner bar last week a passenger had brought along his bass clarinet and was jamming with the piano player, with the members of the Platters singing along in the audience. It was fantastic!!!!

On our cruise on the Freedom, last September...there was a guy that brought his bagpipes and would walk down the hall on the way to dinner playing it. I also heard him on his balcony some nights playing it. Did I notice it? Obviously. Did it bother me? No, he was a great player and gave us a wonderful cruise memory. We have a neighbor that plays his in his back yard some evenings and if the wind is just right we can hear it...always brings back memories of the cruise. As long as your brother is considerate of other people (times he plays, etc...) I say tell him to bring it along :)

• 4 months later...

Hmmmm......I JUST stumbled on this thread and what a good topic it is!

My son plays, but he is learning. A friend, a CC-friend and I were talking some months back and she mentioned her son brings his on every cruise.

I was impressed, well at first I thought, "hmmm", but only for a breif second, then I realized what a great thing.

How many bring their LAPTOPS....???? Just cant be seperated from being "connected"? (yes, we tote ours). It is so refreshing to hear that someone has such a passion for their guitar that they bring it on board. Rest assured, someone like that is probably also VERY respectful of others...he isnt rocking out to metal or being a nuisance. I can picture it now and what a beautiful sight.... night time on deck, playing with a bunch of newly made friends listening.........

My son wants to bring his stereo, or DJ eqip or LAX stick..

I DONT THINK SOOOOOOOO!!

I'd love to come across someone playing guitar on deck at night and didn't mind if I stopped to listen or even request a song!

Agreed! I think that would be awesome!

What would you request??

Wow, a truly original method of booze smuggling. What was that clinking sound coming from your guitar sir? :D

a020.gif

Check the cruise contract. Some cruise lines have a prohibition on bringing musical instruments on board. don't know what the RCCL policy is.

If someone is an adult and very talented or a professional, that's one thing, but can you imagine if there were very many teen wanna be rock stars on board with their guitars! My nephew is one of those...he thinks his music is great, but the rest of us...well let's say we think otherwise. A week of listening to him play would send me to the looney bin.

I'd just recommend checking with the cruise line policy so there are no surprises at the dock.

I'd love to be sitting on my balcony listening to someone play the guitar.

Hey, maybe we could get the whole side of the ship singing campfire songs!!

Hi Sandy!!

(ok, I interpret that as...)

I see a guy playing for me on my balcony and possibly singing if they were good. Awwww what a great thought girl!! I think I can do without the singing though, might ruin the mood for me, LOL

Here is our guy girls!!

5_2_2.gif

Whatcha think? lol

Archived