How to make an effective complaint during a cruise.

I have read too many posts by people claiming that their cruise was a nightmare, they complained and were ignored, etc. etc. etc.

My wife and I are cruising on Explorer in a couple of weeks.

I would like to know what is the most effective route to solve problems with the cabin if they should arise.

When complaints arise with other services and products I usually choose one person who seems to be in a position of authority, and speak to them personally or send a clear honest and non-exaggerated letter stating the problem and asking to have it resolved. I find it is not helpful to complain to several different people about the problem, rather I prefer to identify one person who is in charge and deal with them to get the problem solved.

Who is the person on Explorer to deal with if there is a serious problem with the cabin? For example, lets say the bathroom leaks water all over our cabin floor, or there is no electric power for the lights in our room, or something along those lines. Something that would seriously diminish the enjoyment of our trip but not endanger anybody.

I imagine the captain is not interested in this sort of problem as it is his job to ensure the ship get where it is going safely. I have heard of people complaining to the purser's desk, I would imagine the purser has limited power to solve problems. Is there more than one purser?

Anyway I'd like to identify ahead of time who is the person to reach with problems, and how to reach them.

We had an issue with the toilet last week on the Brilliance ( found out later it was the whole aft on deck 9) We just pushed the button labeled "maintenance" on the phone and a plumber was there within a couple of minutes. I wouldn't worry too much if there is any problems in your room. They are maintained very well and the stewards try to keep an eye on any potential problems. We had a rip in one of our balcony chairs and she had it sent out for repair. It was back the next day as good as new.

We didn't have to make a complaint just report the problem.

I learned from my last cruise to complain ON the cruise and not wait until we get home to send a letter. I had a HORRID massage on the Mariner and then got insulted about my body, and the smoking areas were not enforced which in turn caused me to get bronchitis. I got a simple "oopsie" email back. Should this happen again, I'll definitely find someone to talk to ON the ship!

I would go to the guest relations desk.

I used to work in several hotels and guests always had the best problem resolution when they contacted the front desk. From there, the front desk can notify the supervisor of housekeeping, dining, etc. if needed.

I would assume this would work the same on a cruiseship.

The best person to contact really depends on the nature of the problem. By contacting the guest relations desk they can ensure you are put in contact with the appropriate person to help you.

Just inform your room stewardess or as mentioned, push the button for maintenance on your phone.

I think you're worrying a little too much, and trying to go over so many heads that the one you try to reach for won't be interested (ie - the caption is probably not going to be concerned about lights in a room).

And one final thing...your trip is only seriously diminished as much as you allow it to be. If your lights don't work, call maintenance, hit the buffet, take a stroll, and stop back in an hour.

I have read too many posts by people claiming that their cruise was a nightmare, they complained and were ignored, etc. etc. etc.

I would like to know what is the most effective route to solve problems with the cabin if they should arise.

When complaints arise with other services and products I usually choose one person who seems to be in a position of authority, and speak to them personally or send a clear honest and non-exaggerated letter stating the problem and asking to have it resolved. I find it is not helpful to complain to several different people about the problem, rather I prefer to identify one person who is in charge and deal with them to get the problem solved.

Who is the person on Explorer to deal with if there is a serious problem with the cabin? For example, lets say the bathroom leaks water all over our cabin floor, or there is no electric power for the lights in our room, or something along those lines. Something that would seriously diminish the enjoyment of our trip but not endanger anybody.

I imagine the captain is not interested in this sort of problem as it is his job to ensure the ship get where it is going safely. I have heard of people complaining to the purser's desk, I would imagine the purser has limited power to solve problems. Is there more than one purser?

Anyway I'd like to identify ahead of time who is the person to reach with problems, and how to reach them.

The hotel manager (yes there is one on board the ship) may be the one to speak with. I personally would not try to contact him because you have a water leak in your room. Now, if you report a water leak and it does not get fixed, then yes, by all means, contact the hotel manager.

If you try to contact the hotel manager just because you have a small problem you will probably be denied speaking to him/ her if you ever have a real problem such as an unresolved bill dispute.

Be careful what you wish for...

The hotel manager (yes there is one on board the ship) may be the one to speak with. I personally would not try to contact him because you have a water leak in your room. Now, if you report a water leak and it does not get fixed, then yes, by all means, contact the hotel manager.

Be careful what you wish for...

This is good advice, and I would like to add some experience:

Whenever getting problems resolved, I learned a long time ago the 3 P's of Problem Resolution:

Polite - be positive and upbeat.... so many people start calling for help with anger in their tone expecting a fight. The one they contact can't help but start out defensive. Try to simply state the facts of what is wrong and that you know RCI's reputation for 6-Star Service will guarantee satisfaction.

Professional - if you don't get satisfactory responce by the first person you talk to, start writing down names. Ask him politely what his name is and that you need to speak to his superior. And then get that person's name.

Persistant - Have the second or third person you speak to set exact times and names of people who will be involved so you can follow up with either furthar action or a letter of appreciation, depending on which is nesseccary.;)

Can you tell I used to teach a class, and believe me... this always works. You will be amazed at what you can get in means of customer service if you are Polite, Professional, and Persistant.

Thanks for the replies.

Agreed that obviously for a minor problem you don't go right to the top, calling maintenance should be fine.

What I was getting at was who to discuss things with if there are serious problems that don't get solved.

It seems the hotel manager is the one to go to.

I am not worrying at all, on our last cruise our room was fine, I have just read so many posts on this board about people whose cruise turned into a disaster. And agreed, their attitude and the way they spoke to the staff likely had a lot to do with their ruined cruise.

A couple of weeks ago I stayed in a hotel in Whistler for a conference. There were a couple of problems that shouldn't have happened in a four star hotel: waiting over 1/2 hour for a bellhop, and a noisy heating fan that could not be fixed. I enjoyed my stay anyway. After I got home, I e-mailed the hotel manager and detailed the problems without going overboard, just matter of fact. A few days later I got a phone call with an apology and an offer of two free nights there anytime I like.

The point is in a hotel it is obvious who to bring complaints to but on a cruise ship I am not always sure how the chain of command goes.

Go to guest relations and they will handle it by contacting the hotel manager or handling it themselves. Some people do have genuine problems but some do not and just like to complain about every little thing they think is not perfect. There is no perfect cruise. I would be surprised if you encountered any problems on the Explorer but things can and do happen on every voyage and mechanical problems with the plumbing or other areas can happen just like in your own home. Board with a good attitude and do not expect problems and chances are you will have a great time! Enjoy the Explorer!:)

Just by hitting the button on the phone you will be connected to the department. Jot down the date, time of clal & name of person you talked to. Tell them the problem & a person will be up to fix it. Then go get lunch, go for a walk with ice cream, whatever fun to do for an hour & return. Still not fixed, call again, jot down the date, time & name again and either sit on your balcony or go for a walk or do something else fun. Come back in an hour or 2 & still not fixed then call the Hotel Manager. This way you have spent 4 hours waitingfor a repair, called twice speaking to ( the names & time called). You may be upgrded fast! We were on Freedom with the black smoke filling our D1 stateroom in 9228 (5th balcony from the front).

I agree -- customer relations...

we had an issue with not getting the table we requested and after several attempts the dining room staff basically wouldn't help us out....too crowded...can't do it...sorry

so I left my husband with the head waiter and walked away and stood on line at the customer relations desk.

1 minute later the head waiter came to the line....took me by the arm and asked me to leave the line - HE FOUND A TABLE !!!

He then led me to the bar, gave them his card to swipe and told me to order the drink of my choice!!

I must have done it right.

I had a situation with a photograhper. When you look at our formal picture you can tell I was fighting tears. He was very terse and "matter of fact". It was formal night, and I know they get in a rush. My husband is missing his right hand. I generally try to find the photo where they tend to set it up the right way to begin with. Many photographers notice and nicely say, sir, switch with the lady. That particular evening, my husband was on the right, rather than my left. Which left the right hand to the outside rather than to my inside. After barking orders at us, the photographer said "I told you to put your hand on top of the ladies. The tears started choking me, my husband lifted up his sleeve from his coat and said I don't have one.

I went to the cabin shaking. He was fine. I wrote a letter to the manger of the photo gallery, as well as detailing it on the comment card for service by photographer.

Never heard one word, one apolology. Nothing. This was on our January cruise on Mariner (06). In December, he and I did the Mariner again, and while we had to formals done, I just watched to be sure the pose put him to my left. no problem.

I certainly expected that I would get a call, and someone say, sorry.

Maybe I've been lucky but I have had excellent service from maintenance and the hotel staff. Anytime I've had to call maintenance they were there in the short time frame they specified and fixed the problem.

One time, a couple of years ago, we took our elderly in-laws on a Hawaii cruise to celebrate our wedding on Maui. We had booked side by side aft cabins. Well the long and short of it was, our cabin was a disaster (and we've been on so many before I couldn't believe it). The bed was tore down, the sofa broke apart in need of repair. To top it off the bottle of bubbly and decorations I had ordered for the DW and I went to the wrong cabin.

Well I guess what happened is previous "guests" basically tore the room apart. The hotel manager as well as the housekeeping manager came up and apoligized, and realized we were on a special occassion cruise and felt very bad. They said it was impossible to make repairs before we left but promised they would be completed before that night. DW was in tears and upset. It seems her special thoughts of how this cruise and vacation would start were in shambles.

We left our carry-ons in the room, went to lunch and returned, only to find a stranger's luggage in the room. We were horrified to think that two different couples may have been booked into the same cabin. Once again we called and the housekeeping manager came immediately and apoligized explaining that they had moved the person's luggage in the cabin and were trying to page us so that they could show us another cabin. They upgraded both my in-laws and us into side by side suites, got the bubbly and room decorations in order while we were out, and did the best they could to try to make things right for my DW.

As I said, maybe I've been lucky, but my experience has been nothing but positive when I've needed service for my cabin.

Keep in mind the cost of the cruise before demanding perfection. If you're only paying $100 per person per night, don't expect the cruise line to spend so much on staff that they'll never make a dime. There are high-end cruises for the more refined demanding public.

Keep in mind the cost of the cruise before demanding perfection. If you're only paying $100 per person per night, don't expect the cruise line to spend so much on staff that they'll never make a dime. There are high-end cruises for the more refined demanding public.

Jolimont, your point is well taken for those that would be demanding perfection but I'm not sure the OP was/is demanding perfection. I could have missed something.

I had a situation with a photograhper. When .

I certainly expected that I would get a call, and someone say, sorry.

But, I'M VERY SORRY you experinced this! It's truly a shame that the photographer wasn't more in tune.

Being a trained portrait photographer myself, I don't get the whole hand in hand thing. RCI photographers put so much emphasizes on it. NOT SOMETHING every photographer does.

Infact we usually try to shoot for a more relax look of the expenditures.

Thanks for the replies.

Agreed that obviously for a minor problem you don't go right to the top, calling maintenance should be fine.

What I was getting at was who to discuss things with if there are serious problems that don't get solved.

It seems the hotel manager is the one to go to.

I am not worrying at all, on our last cruise our room was fine, I have just read so many posts on this board about people whose cruise turned into a disaster. And agreed, their attitude and the way they spoke to the staff likely had a lot to do with their ruined cruise.

A couple of weeks ago I stayed in a hotel in Whistler for a conference. There were a couple of problems that shouldn't have happened in a four star hotel: waiting over 1/2 hour for a bellhop, and a noisy heating fan that could not be fixed. I enjoyed my stay anyway. After I got home, I e-mailed the hotel manager and detailed the problems without going overboard, just matter of fact. A few days later I got a phone call with an apology and an offer of two free nights there anytime I like.

The point is in a hotel it is obvious who to bring complaints to but on a cruise ship I am not always sure how the chain of command goes.

Somehow, and I know I will be flamed, I think you are already looking for a free cruise. You did it with a hotel stay, and now want to know how to get a free cruise. I don't think you will be happy with your cruise, no matter what. You are just setting things up.

We have been on over 50 cruises and I guess if we wanted to nit-pick we could probably find things wrong with most of them. We choose not to. We enjoy our cruises and look forward to the next one. I do feel, you look forward to the next one too------------but free or next to it. JMO.

Katie

I don't think the OP is looking for a free cruise. There have been several threads where informing housekeeping of bedbugs or plumbing problems resulted in NO remedy, and the customer relations desk was of no additional help. Subsequent posts would say things like "you should have taken it to ______ (fill in the blank), and basically blamed the bedbug victim or whoever (tender injury victim, etc.) for not taking the issue up with the correct person. I have never had a problem like these, but I, too, would like to know the correct person to contact if the first point of contact drops the ball.

I haven't been on an RCI cruise yet that only cost $100 a day, and I really like to have dry carpeting, working electricity and plumbing, and clean, insect free surroundings, even it it were "only" $100 a day.

Knowledge is power, forewarned is forearmed etc., etc. The OP wants to know how best to continue enjoying the cruise rather than waiting for maintenance, should problems arise. Good for him (or her)!

If you have a problem on your cruise, complain at the Pursers desk. Make a note of the pursers name, the date and time, and their response. If you need to contact them again, make another note. I say this because I've read many reviews where people have written the cruise line after they got home to complain, and they were actually told "we have no record of you making a complaint on the ship" and the cruise line probably figures if it wasn't bad enough to complain about while there, it probably wasn't that bad at all. If you call the pursers desk with a complaint, they will note it on your account, and then if you need to follow up with a letter after the cruise, you will be taken more seriously.

Thank you for your comment on photos. I think because it was formal night he had a game plan. I will say that we have cruised 13 on RCL and with other cruise lines total over 20+ and this has been the first experience like this. So, just had one bad experience. LIke I said, I make it a point, to make sure he gets on the correct side. It keeps things simple, and the line moving. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Somehow, and I know I will be flamed, I think you are already looking for a free cruise. You did it with a hotel stay, and now want to know how to get a free cruise. I don't think you will be happy with your cruise, no matter what. You are just setting things up.

I regret to inform you that you are insane.

We are not looking for a free cruise. And on our last cruise we were absolutely delighted, in fact it was the best vacation we have taken ever. That is why we are going on another cruise.

I simply wanted to know ahead of time, what is the procedure and who do you talk to, when problems arise. Others have graciously answered this for me, the answer is: guest relations and/or the hotel manager.

As far as the hotel stay, there were several serious problems, I complained in writing to the manager, and the manager offered two free nights stay. Out of a hundred odd hotel stays in my life, I have had cause to complain three times, and my total compensation has been one fruit plate, one free lunch for two, and two free nights at Whistler. I think I have better things to do with my time than try to scam a free cruise.

This is good advice, and I would like to add some experience:

Whenever getting problems resolved, I learned a long time ago the 3 P's of Problem Resolution:

Polite - be positive and upbeat.... so many people start calling for help with anger in their tone expecting a fight. The one they contact can't help but start out defensive. Try to simply state the facts of what is wrong and that you know RCI's reputation for 6-Star Service will guarantee satisfaction.

Professional - if you don't get satisfactory responce by the first person you talk to, start writing down names. Ask him politely what his name is and that you need to speak to his superior. And then get that person's name.

Persistant - Have the second or third person you speak to set exact times and names of people who will be involved so you can follow up with either furthar action or a letter of appreciation, depending on which is nesseccary.;)

Can you tell I used to teach a class, and believe me... this always works. You will be amazed at what you can get in means of customer service if you are Polite, Professional, and Persistant.

Excellent advice, DHADEN. I would emphasize the importance of documenting all contacts. Communicate by written letter/memo as well as orally if response is slow. Make sure you let them know what you want. If you just say that you got a lousy, insulting massage you are doing nothing but venting. If you say you do not want to pay for a lousy, insulting massage you will probably not have to pay for a lousy, insulting massage.

Excellent advice, DHADEN. I would emphasize the importance of documenting all contacts. Communicate by written letter/memo as well as orally if response is slow. Make sure you let them know what you want. If you just say that you got a lousy, insulting massage you are doing nothing but venting. If you say you do not want to pay for a lousy, insulting massage you will probably not have to pay for a lousy, insulting massage.

This tactic is known to negotiators as "the wall", and it works, it is simply Polite, Persistence carried to the Nth degree:

Stay calm, and sweet, and keep repeating yourself, as in "I am unhappy with the massage I recieved, and I want the charge removed" If they ask why you are unhappy, simply repeat "I am unhappy with the massage I received, and I want the charge removed". If that peron wont do it, say "I want to speak to your supervisor", when the sup asks what the problem is, say "I am unhappy with the massage I received, and I want the charge removed", etc, etc, etc. Do not let the other person sidetrack you, sweet talk you, or anything else (that is what they are taught in customer service class). Do not raise your voice, or become agitated, or threaten anything, or give them any reason to tell their supervisor you were being a jerk. Simply keep repeating yourself til they comply.

Archived