Stroke of luck tonight

Coral

We have a travel radio show on Saturdays and I briefly caught that there was going to be a show/travelogue on river cruising tonight (Prague to Paris) at a local theatre. Since I am taking my first river cruise, I thought that maybe I would learn something. I still had a few insecurities about the switch from mass cruise lines to river cruises and if I will like the food, entertainment, etc... The concept of river cruises is still new to me. There have only been 2 people I have found on CC who have done the Tolstoy so I have been a little insecure. They both had a great time so I shouldn't be worried.

I almost didn't go tonight as I wasn't feeling well but decided to go and just see how long I could last. The travelogue was shown at a movie theatre and I started to get scared when I got there. Apparently this was sponsored by the Aging Center (or some simliar name) in town and 80 seemed to be the average age in the room (I am 36).

The couple that led the presentation were impressive - definitely world travelers and down to earth people. The type of couple that one instantly likes. I noticed the film they were showing (mostly focusing on ports) was filmed on Amadeus Symphony. At intermission, I went up and introduced myself and asked how they liked Amadeus. They indicated that they love Amadeus and that was their line of choice right now. I said that I leave in 6 weeks for the Tolstoy and they both said "we did that trip last year". I believe the husband did it twice last year as he had to go back and get more film footage.

They then proceeded to tell me that they had just finished making a video of their Russian cruise experience. Apparently this is how they make their money in selling these videos. I was amazed that they had a video of my specific cruise, on my specific ship for sale right in front of me. I live in Lincoln, NE - so this isn't like NYC where one has access to everything.

So I came home and watched the video and it was so cool to see my ship in the video, video of my type of cabin, the dining room, the galleys, the pool, the welcome aboard party, the Captain's dinner, what people wear, the entertainment --- I did realize that I won't feel too guilty going to bed early a few nights. They also had footage of the ports, a lot of the excursions, going through the locks, etc...

Previously I felt like I only had 2 people's accounts of their trip last year and all of a sudden, I feel like I have struck gold. It is like I really know now what I am getting into and I am so excited to go on this cruise. Yes, I spent $20 on the video but IMO - it is priceless as I know am so excited for my trip.

Good things happen to good people all the time. I am happy for you.

The way I look at it, after doing many land tours and ocean cruises your natural progression would be to try something different.... river cruising fits the bill....you are well traveled like most the pax you will met on your Russian river cruise, even though there will be an age difference your travel experiences will be very similar... the advantage you'll have is your endurance..so what if you'll be the only one up at midnight, you can chat with the crew and staff......you'll have a wonderful time.......

Hi Coral: I will be interested to hear your take on the Russian Waterways River Cruise. My husband and I leave on July 17th also on the Tolstoy and I am starting to get excited (got to get those visa forms done soon). We are well traveled and for the past two years have done NCL cruises to the Med. Previous to that we traveled extensively with tour groups. There haven't been many posts for my 7/17 trip (maybe we will have the ship to ourselves?), but I have been reading only positve things about Amadeus. We were in St. Petersburg on '03 and loved every minute of it. I am sure it has changed a bit since then. This will be our first River Cruise so it should be both interesting and different. I am looking forward to reading about your trip when you get back.

Here is his info:

Clint and Susan Denn of Clint Denn Digital Cinema.

The video I saw last night was "Prague to Paris & a Cruise". This took place on Amadeus Symphony. The one I bought last night was "Cruising Russia - St. Petersburg to Moscow on the Volga and Neya".

On the back of the DVD it says "Other Titles Available" and lists:

Africa Camera Safari

Brazil, Giant of the Earth

Cruising Europe's Great Rivers

Germany

Great Parks of the West & Trains Too

Hawaii, America's Polynesia

Ireland

Prague-Paris & a Cruise

Spain, Land of Contrasts

Switzerland

The Samoas

Clint indicated that they are doing Egypt's cruise on Amadeus next and will do a video on that. These videos come across as very realistic video footage - nothing is staged if that makes sense. This video was 85 minutes.

It appears his website is still in the building mode: http://www.clintdenn.com/

He does provide an email address on the back of his video - so I assume it is ok to post - it is: clintandsue@yahoo.com

I did a search on his name and the travelvideostore carries some of his items: http://www.travelvideostore.com/index.php?cPath=1500

I hope this helps some. He does travel for a living showing his videos - so I am not sure the response time in responding. Both Clint and his wife were very sweet, knowledgable and very helpful as I asked a million Tolstoy questions. They are the type of people I would love to cruise with.

-Theresa

Hi Coral: I will be interested to hear your take on the Russian Waterways River Cruise. My husband and I leave on July 17th also on the Tolstoy and I am starting to get excited (got to get those visa forms done soon).

The plan is to bring my laptop with me and spent the LONG flight home working on the review. I hope to keep a journal on the laptop all along so that the review won't be difficult.

Good things happen to good people all the time. I am happy for you.

The way I look at it, after doing many land tours and ocean cruises your natural progression would be to try something different.... river cruising fits the bill....you are well traveled like most the pax you will met on your Russian river cruise, even though there will be an age difference your travel experiences will be very similar... the advantage you'll have is your endurance..so what if you'll be the only one up at midnight, you can chat with the crew and staff......you'll have a wonderful time.......

The cool thing about seeing this video was that it showed the people on the ship and they were of all ages. It seemed pretty diverse.

I asked questions about being rushed on the Tolstoy as I have in my mind a million things I want to see in those days in Moscow and St. Petersburg and he said he didn't feel rushed at all. So that part was good.

The comment about ages was meant towards the group I saw last night. I had no idea that a Senior group was sponsoring the event.

-Theresa

Theresa, You will be able to buy the video of your specific cruise, with you in it, while on the ship. There will be a videographer on board and he will go on the tours and excursions with you. You can purchase it the last night (I forgot the actual price, but it was reasonable.)

Theresa, You will be able to buy the video of your specific cruise, with you in it, while on the ship. There will be a videographer on board and he will go on the tours and excursions with you. You can purchase it the last night (I forgot the actual price, but it was reasonable.)

Thanks - that is good to know. I will definitely purchase it.

Theresa and Benita,

Thanks for all your info. It's good to know that we'll be able to get a video of the trip, but I sure am going to try to get a copy from Clint before we go. As you mentioned, Theresa, there are so many questions when going on a 1st river cruise. When I do get a copy, I'll invite the 5 others going with us and have a pre Tolstoy Russian River cruise party.

Now I'm going to be checking the paper for local Travel club programs. It's nice to get lucky as you did.

Evie :)

One of the couples that was on our cruise put a DVD together which was very interesting as they went to different places from the ones we went to, even though we were on the same cruise. I have been working on a DVD of my own but the problem I have is that I took so many photos it's been difficult vetting the collection so it fits a reasonably sized show without putting everyone to sleep.

I have a friend that wants to put a real production together to take a similar cruise and do a proper documentary on it. What you have posted here has given us encouragement.

Buck

• 2 weeks later...

Seapine, guess I am with you because our group is also embarking on the Tolstoy on August 23. Have been corresponding with Theresa a couple of times because I have a million questions. Looks like you will be travelling with 5 others and I am travelling with a friend but we are with a group of (now) 45 people from Vancouver BC. Have done a couple of river cruises before (Budapest to Prague and 2 in France) and loved every minute of them so Benita get ready 'cause you are going to have a ball. Everyone is well travelled - no tourists onboard. Hope to hear from everyone once they get back because, as mentioned, I have a ton of questions.

Sharon

Hi Sharon, Cruisingmyway,

Can't wait to meet you. Did you say 45 in your group are going on this cruise? I have a copy of the DVD from Clint and Sue Denn, and it's great to have a preview of our trip. I have already started to pass it on to others in our group. Thanks again to Coral for this great "find", and thanks to the Denn's for making these travel DVD's. icon7.gif

Evie

Evie, yes there are 45 people in my group coming from Vancouver (travel agency organizing). Should be a good bunch but 1/3 of the ship will be us - not really sure about that. Glad to know someone else from the west coast is also travelling with us.

Received an email message from Clint/Sue and will send off my money right away. Thanks to everyone for the heads up on the video (and I understand that there is a videographer on board with us so that should make a great epic!).

I can hardly wait - soon will be sending off for my Visa (travel agency handling the organizing so will be painless).

Archived