home from 3/31 noordam

nurseblissful

I will be the first to admit that there is an attitude of entitlement among some of the NYC area parents, and that they might want to ignore their kids' behavior on a cruise.

However, during Christmas Week, DH and I spent some time sightseeing in NYC. We didn't take the subway, but we did ride the bus. Never have I seen more courteous people. Maybe it was the holiday spirit, but I believe there is a change in NYC people since 9/11. They seem to go out of their way to be kind and considerate. People lined up for the bus, there was no pushing. In the theater, people were kind and polite. Everywhere we've ben in NYC, there seems to be a change of attitude and New Yorkers are just nicer than they used to be. Maybe suffering the disaster we did has made people more aware and kinder to others.

It's not fair to characterize all New Yorkers as rude or uncaring. That's just not the case.

Sorry- you are right. It's never OK to generalize!

Then you take the pushiness that New Yorkers are known for (not just me- you have to admit that this is a generally accepted view) AND the accent that to SOME, NOT me, might think is abrasive, and BOOM, you have the stereotype that I was trying to get across so clumsily.

About the NY accent. Do you think that an Ohio or Kentucky or Mississippi accent isn't "strange" sounding to someone fromn NY?

There's more I'd like to say, but as the poster above, I think I'll just refrain from anything else and leave this discussion.

hello all! though the size of new york and the density of human bodies kind of freaked me out, i was amazed at how nice and helpful people were. and i was amazed at how clean it was. i was told they would be pushy or rude. not at all the case. and we did not just stay in our hotel room, though we didn't wander far. i don't know if one state produces more of one kind of parent or not. demographics may have something to do with it. but the people we met were nice. and because it may sound like a gripe fest, let me point out that there were probably about 410 nice kids on the cruise. lauri

Ya know when I see threads like this (and there have been many on different boards on CC)

New Yorkers are this

Southerners are that

this ethnic group does this blah blah blah

It always makes me think of a statement I heard a while back , that although I certainly do not endorse or subscribe to, certainly can make you pause and think.

Charlton Heston was once asked , while he was still the president of the NRA, why he thought the United States had more shooting deaths (aside from war torn nations) than any other country

He paused quite a while and finally said " I think its because we have so many vastly different groups of people living, working, etc so close to eachother, that they just get on eachothers nerves sometimes "

Ya know when I see threads like this (and there have been many on different boards on CC)

New Yorkers are this

Southerners are that

this ethnic group does this blah blah blah "

Dude, like, you forgot, like, oh my god, Californians, :eek:

Dude, like, you forgot, like, oh my god, Californians, :eek:

*LOL*

Funny you should say that :)

Not too long ago, I think it was on the RCCL board, a few posters were talking about this obnoxious jerk that was on the cruise they had just come back from. Guess he caused a loud obnoxious scene wherever he went on the ship all week long, so quite a few posters who were on that cruise immediately knew who he was. As soon as someone said "oh yea him, "Typical Californian "" *LOL*

Well the ship hit the fan after that :)

New Yorkers are this

Southerners are that

this ethnic group does this blah blah blah

It always makes me think of a statement I heard a while back , that although I certainly do not endorse or subscribe to, certainly can make you pause and think.

Charlton Heston was once asked , while he was still the president of the NRA, why he thought the United States had more shooting deaths (aside from war torn nations) than any other country

He paused quite a while and finally said " I think its because we have so many vastly different groups of people living, working, etc so close to eachother, that they just get on eachothers nerves sometimes "

Wasn't that in the film "Bowling for Columbine"? As I recall, that film made Charlton Heston look like a guy who was lost in the ivory tower...

I think it boils down to generalizations. One can't paint EVERYONE in NY as rude and self absorbed just like one shouldn't assume that everyone who cruises is going to be a perfect passenger. You throw a bunch of people together and mix it up and you're going to find a microcosm of the world. Factor in some kids and a few drinks and the mix can be a potent cocktail. I look at this way...my cruises are a major treat. When I go, I try to focus on the positive and avoid (like the plague!:rolleyes: ) annoying, entitled people. So far, this strategy has mostly worked. Unless you're doing a long trip and you're stuck with horrible table mates/neighbors, how hard can it be to find a way to enjoy oneself for a week to ten days? Not very,when you consider all the fun to be had on a vacation, never mind a cruise!!:p Reasonable expectations usually result in reasonable outcomes for me. That's my story and I'm sticking to it...:)

Wasn't that in the film "Bowling for Columbine"? As I recall, that film made Charlton Heston look like a guy who was lost in the ivory tower...

I think it boils down to generalizations. One can't paint EVERYONE in NY as rude and self absorbed just like one shouldn't assume that everyone who cruises is going to be a perfect passenger. You throw a bunch of people together and mix it up and you're going to find a microcosm of the world. Factor in some kids and a few drinks and the mix can be a potent cocktail. I look at this way...my cruises are a major treat. When I go, I try to focus on the positive and avoid (like the plague!:rolleyes: ) annoying, entitled people. So far, this strategy has mostly worked. Unless you're doing a long trip and you're stuck with horrible table mates/neighbors, how hard can it be to find a way to enjoy oneself for a week to ten days? Not very,when you consider all the fun to be had on a vacation, never mind a cruise!!:p Reasonable expectations usually result in reasonable outcomes for me. That's my story and I'm sticking to it...:)

Yes it was "Bowling For Columbine" :)

I agree with you 100%. Life is to short , and vacations are too precious to let some idiot ruin it for me.

I have always said "Stupid people were put on this earth for my entertainment" *LOL*

People watching is a favorite pass time of mine , and some of these knotheads just raise the entertainment value for me 100 fold :)

Next time you see some damn fool carrying on, just laugh and be grateful you are not married to them and have to go home and live with them after the cruise *LOL*

Certainly dangerous behavior that puts other people at risk should certainly not be tolerated and be severely dealt with. But morons just being morons can be fun to watch.

So much for ``Love in any Language!''

I think this was mentioned pages ago. Geography has nothing to do with it.

The root of NOORDAM's kiddo problem is its intinerary. Three and a half sea days going and coming and not enough FREE activities to keep the youngins and their parents amused.

Unless HAL changes the video games in the Loft monthly, the kids have been-there-done-that at home. They get bored and look to amuse elsewhere.

Eastern Europeans have not cornered the market in rudeness. Americans have their moments. And don't ever get off a tour bus in Europe when the Japanese are in town.

I think this was mentioned pages ago. Geography has nothing to do with it.

The root of NOORDAM's kiddo problem is its intinerary. Three and a half sea days going and coming and not enough FREE activities to keep the youngins and their parents amused.

The amount of "at sea" time, much of it in cooler temps is a key as to why the sails out of NYC, during President's and Spring break period have turned into less than desirable experiences. There are similar reports from all the sails, from the NYC area, during these periods.

With the exception of bowling on NCL's newest ships, the gimick activities are included in the cost of the sail, on other cruise lines. They are not adequate to entertain anyone, for 2-3 days at sea.

It's the intinerary far more than anything and it's not conducive to the majority of family cruising.

Nurse Blissful - Hey Laurie - I wanted to exchange email addresses w/ you onboard but, never saw you after that. If you would like to keep in touch, let me know.

I know the group you are referring to and OH MY were they ever rude. Someone from their group fought w/ everyone from the omlette maker John, to other passengers, to the Maitre'd - refused to put on a jacket on formal night, their kids horrendous!

We decided no spring break sailing for us. I just don't have the patience for all the kid nonsense. It put a real damper on the trip.

Talk to you soon.

Colleen

The amount of "at sea" time, much of it in cooler temps is a key as to why the sails out of NYC, during President's and Spring break period have turned into less than desirable experiences. There are similar reports from all the sails, from the NYC area, during these periods.

With the exception of bowling on NCL's newest ships, the gimick activities are included in the cost of the sail, on other cruise lines. They are not adequate to entertain anyone, for 2-3 days at sea.

It's the intinerary far more than anything and it's not conducive to the majority of family cruising.

Funny- I am actually looking forward to the sea days. Our last cruise we did 5 ports in 7 days. It was exhausting and we never had time to enjoy the ship. We never spent time onboard and missed all the ship had to offer. Plus- the nightmares of flying out of NY in February is a crap shoot. I'd much rather be sipping champagne from my balcony with a jacket on watching the NYC skyline passby than sitting in an airport praying for my flight to take off.

hey colleen! you can reach me at lbliss1@cox.net. more thoughts on our cruise. sailing out of new york added two cold sea days. we have fun on the ship, but it would be nice if we could enjoy the upper decks and it wasn't cold. so, we will probably go out of florida after this. we keep trying to cheat winter. and when i said only some of the kids were bad, it seems to be interpretted as "your kid is bad" or "all kids are bad". that is not accurate. we have cruised with kids before and they were fine. it was alot of kids, and some acted up. but, so did a lot more adults. and i do mean they acted up. i told my dh that no one better shove me or push me when i got home. i promptly went to the grocery store where i was swatted in the back with a purse, got my ankles run over with a grocery cart and then hit in the behind with a cart. i started to get angry, then just had to laugh. so much for "they better not....". lol. :) we still had a blast. i did things i never thought i would get to do (the turtles were excellent) and had great food and met some really nice people. we rode to an excursion on dominica with a group of folks and someone started talking about "smoking actuary". i promptly asked if they were with the cruise critic group and they confirmed. i asked about the meet and greet and they said they had one with beverages in the afternoon. i was a bit miffed. we had one in the morning with coffee and cookies. then it occured to me that we were NOT on the same ship. the zuiderdam was right next to us. it was pretty funny. anyway, it was great meeting samd, percula clown (hi wayne and family!), caribeanqueen13, emma06 and everyone else. it was great meeting you. i hope to meet you on future ships. we are signed up for the december 8th veendam. at least at this point. i will watch for your threads. thanks, lauri

Nice review!

Just wanted to drop in and said hi. It was wonderful to meet you and your husband. I do hope we can meet up in the future high seas.

right now, I have post cruise blues :(

but it hit my son worst, who went back to school Apr-11 right after we got off the ship. I guess I have to post a review by next week to bring back some good memories.

Archived