Constellation does NOT have a dress code

AngelaC

Then Celebrity needs to not contradict itself. On one part of the website, it has a rule that people can't wear jeans. On another part, it indicates that the dress code is a suggestion. Either way, the only rule mentioned is no jeans after 6pm. "Appropriate" is not he same as "required."

By the way, I follow the "rules" as well. I'm just saying that people should not expect things that aren't promised.

Not exactly true....Will tell you its a far cry from RCCL....now that's where anything goes! This is much different for sure.

This may sound strange to you, but on our last two RCCL cruises we saw more formal dressing (gowns and tuxedos) and far less wife beaters than on this X cruise.

Then Celebrity needs to not contradict itself. On one part of the website, it has a rule that people can't wear jeans. On another part, it indicates that the dress code is a suggestion. Either way, the only rule mentioned is no jeans after 6pm. "Appropriate" is not he same as "required."

By the way, I follow the "rules" as well. I'm just saying that people should not expect things that aren't promised.

Also on the ship the Celebrity Daily on last years sailing's did not say suggestion. It used the words required. That they don't enforce it is a contradiction, but it is their contradiction not mine. I know it bothers some people that they don't enforce it. It does not bother me. I don't care what others wear as long as they don't smell. I follow the dress code out of respect and don't worry about what others are doing because I am not the one who sets the dress policy or enforces it. And it is not like those who don't follow it are committing a crime. They are just showing immaturity.

This may sound strange to you, but on our last two RCCL cruises we saw more formal dressing (gowns and tuxedos) and far less wife beaters than on this X cruise.

I am sorry, but I do not understand your reference to "wife beaters". Are you suggesting that if you wear a tux you will stop beating your wife?

We were on the same cruise and I am surprised to see this thread because we thought how well dressed people were in general. This was our first time on X and we made a point to notice how people dressed. We were on second seating floor 4 in the dining room and didn't see anyone around us not dressed properly, perhaps we were lucky. I did see someone in swimwear in the buffet area at lunchtime, but this was the only incident.

I have to say that we really enjoyed this cruise, it was the best food and service we've had and we'll definitely cruise on X again.

Julie

I just got off Radiance of the Seas. RCL is a far cry from Celebrity. However, I haven't done the 5 night on Century, which I suspect will attract a younger, more casual crowd ala RCL.

I have decided to stick with the longer more expensive cruises on Celebrity in the future. They attract more like minded people. I like a preppy wardrobe and on the longer Celebrity cruises I have been on polo shirts and button down shirts were the norm.

We have found that every cruise has it's own individual atmosphere. On transatlantic crossings, the dress code is adhered. We didn't see anyone not dressing for that particular evenings attire.

Even on Hawaii cruises, where you do spend most of your days in shorts and casual wear...there weren't many people that really didn't follow the required dress code.

I would like to see Celebrity uphold their policy, and enforce the dress code. Maybe if this was done consistantly, then new passengers, and even past passengers would automatically know that this particular cruiseline does have a more formal dress code, and they wouldn't be inclined to breech the policy.

If your not happy with the lack of policy, then use your guest reply forms, that are given out at the end of your cruise. The really is the only way that Celebrity will be aware of the passenger's concerns.

Karyn

I don't know about the TA thing.......We saw some pretty strange outfits on that one! Although I must agree on one point, we are on our 3rd transatlantic crossing and it does seem that the passengers are more conservative as far as dress. I have brought this up many a time when passengers complain about dress, then someone says "oh, Celebrity enforces the dress code". No, they don't. I feel that they should enforce it in the dining room and we dress appropriately. I just do not understand why people book this type of cruise and then NOT follow the guidelines! While it doesn't ruin my trip, why not just book with a casual dress cruiseline?

I sometimes think that if Celebrity had only one formal night instead of three of them during a cruise, almost everyone would comply with the dress code.

Just to clarify...when we went on our first cruise, over thirty years ago, there was only one formal night which was the same night as the Captain's Reception. In those days, the Captain's reception was a very special cocktail party where almost every passenger had an opportunity to interact with the Captain. Even though there was only one formal night, people dressed very well on the other nights as well and the dining room always had an elegant ambiance.

In my opinion, when there was only one formal night which was part of a very special evening, people were much more likely to observe the dress code than when there are three formal nights without anything else special about them.

I am not surprised to see more dress code threads lately. X has chosen to move to a more casual atmosphere - made obvious with the choices made on the Journey & Quest. It is just a matter of time until formal nights are done away with completely. I do think informal will stay - this is just my opinion.

I have chosen to follow the suggestions X makes in regard to attire but will be happy when formal is done away with.

I have chosen to follow the suggestions X makes in regard to attire but will be happy when formal is done away with.

Me too. We sailed Oceania last year and loved the dress code. I think that if people want to dress formal on cruises, then that's great. But we usually cruise in Europe in the past few years (have done the Caribbean, Hawaii, Panama Canal, Alaska, etc. in the past too) and HATE dragging formal clothes thousands of miles that we'll only wear for a few hours . We go for the ports, so that is not my idea of how to spend time on vacation. For those that love dressing up, I think the cruise lines should have policies in the future that ensure that those passengers should feel free to dress to the nines and have their own idea of a good time too BUT there should be more alternative dining for those who don't want to like the venues provided on other cruise lines.

But one thing that I have to say is that I occasionally click on the dress code threads--am particularly interested in this subject as we are leaving in a few weeks--and that I cannot for the life of me understand why so many people are so concerned and upset over what others are wearing. Life is just too short, and I could care less. I know others view it as a sign of disrespect or whatever, but I really don't understand why it matters that much. Who cares what someone else is wearing? I'm on vacation, and that's just not an issue.

Donna

Amen to that. We're on the Connie next week and have to lug an extra piece of luggage just for the formalwear.

Some time ago Celebrity changed its message in the daily re the evening dress code from "suggested" to "required," and has always made reference to the fact that passengers are asked show consideration for fellow passengers and respect the evening's dress in all public areas of the ship after 6pm. Unfortunately, that does little to alter the mindset of those who believe just their presence on earth entitles them to do as they wish, with a blatant disregard for anyone and anything else. It's unfortunate but not something unique to X or to cruising; rather, it's just a sign of the times and it looks like the rest of us have no choice but to get used to it.

I cannot for the life of me understand why so many people are so concerned and upset over what others are wearing.

/QUOTE]

Rather than concern and upset, I think it's more a matter of disappointment that the product sold (in this case, a cruise that promises a certain level of dining tradition and formality) is not the product delivered - 'cause spin it as you may wish, the come-as-you-are mentality of some passengers does, in fact, dilute the traditional cruise ambiance other passengers have purchased and rightly expect to receive.

Some time ago Celebrity changed its message in the daily re the evening dress code from "suggested" to "required," and has always made reference to the fact that passengers are asked show consideration for fellow passengers and respect the evening's dress in all public areas of the ship after 6pm. Unfortunately, that does little to alter the mindset of those who believe just their presence on earth entitles them to do as they wish, with a blatant disregard for anyone and anything else. It's unfortunate but not something unique to X or to cruising; rather, it's just a sign of the times and it looks like the rest of us have no choice but to get used to it.

You can get an "AMEN" from me on all of that!

There is a dress code. Celebrity just has not bothered to tell its long-time cruisers of the changes. Get used to it :(

Sure it does not "ruin" a cruise but it sure means that =X= is not as concerned about it's "upscale" image as it used to be.

At the risk of getting flamed again - keep this in mind. Airlines are limiting us to 50# per suitcase and in some cases charging for a second suitcase.

While I don't think jeans are appropriate nor are t shirts and shorts for diner - I fail to see how someone else dresses spoils your vacation. If they didn;t shower for a week - yes I can see that but on our 12 night med cruise this summer the Formal Dress is staying home.

Once again I have to ask the ones that 'can't wait for the end of formal nights'. Why on earth do you book with Celebrity? All cruiselines go to the same ports, the food isn't that much more spectacular, nor is the entertainment. Why not book a more casual line?:confused:

Hi Everyone !

While I agree that in a perfect world, it would be wonderful if everyone respected the dress code, I think the odds of it ever happening on a 100% basis are about nil. While I much prefer assigned seating with the Dress code, this thread supports the argument of other Dining venues for those who want to dress casual. Yes, Celebrity has it, but it is only one venue, with the same menu every night.

Maybe it is just me, but I work far too hard all year long, to let what anyone else wears get to me. I never let things like that concern me in the least on MY vacation. By the offenders not dressing as required, I feel it makes THEM look very foolish.

When the Solstice class comes out, I would like to see Celebrity retain the Main Dining Room, with assigned seating. I would also like to see some new choices for casual Dining, as this will keep everyone happy.

Maybe it is just me, but I work far too hard all year long, to let what anyone else wears get to me. I never let things like that concern me in the least on MY vacation. By the offenders not dressing as required, I feel it makes THEM look very foolish.

When the Solstice class comes out, I would like to see Celebrity retain the Main Dining Room, with assigned seating. I would also like to see some new choices for casual Dining, as this will keep everyone happy.

You and I are so on the same page on this issue. If I saw someone on formal night dressed in a hoodie, I would get a good laugh out of that and then go on and have a lovely dinner. And I also wish that Celebrity offered more options to those who don't want to have all the fuss on vacation.

Donna

All cruiselines go to the same ports, the food isn't that much more spectacular, nor is the entertainment. Why not book a more casual line?:confused:
I don't agree with this statement, and I booked my Celebrity sailing this year for the itinerary, so I assure you that it wasn't for the dress code. Are you saying that my money is not as good as yours? In the Caribbean, all the ships go to the same place and have many similarities. We usually cruise in Europe every year, and your statement is not accurate for European itineraries. The ships don't all go to the same place at the time that I can go on vacation; they certainly don't charge the same price. And again, and I am completely serious in asking this, what difference does it make what someone else wears to dinner? I just don't get it.

Donna

Although I'm all for retaining formal nights, abiding and following dress codes, etc, I wouldn't be surprised if we see different dress codes for Caribbean cruises vs other itineraries in the not too distant future. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the majority of dress code "violations" occur on Caribbean, or warm weather cruises. It's a trend that's been slowly and steadily occuring over the past 6-7 years now. I think I read Holland America has eliminated informal (semi-formal) nights from their Caribbean cruises. This is just one step of what I'm talking about here.

Last year we sailed a Transatlantic crossing on Constellation. 8 days with only 1 port. A sea intensive itinerary w/fairly cool temperatures (60's) the entire voyage. The overwhelming majority of passengers dressed up and adhered to the dress code. The overall experience was different on a crossing vs a fun-in-the-sun Caribbean sailing. Neither is bad, I'm just pointing out the two types of sailings are very different from one another. And perhaps Celebrity (and other cruise lines) should modify their dress policies accordingly. Again, I'm all for retaining formal nights, etc, however I'm also trying to be realistic at the same time.

You are right. There is a very different feeling regarding a Caribbean cruise and a Europe or Trans Atlantic cruise. Perhaps eliminating the formal nights and sticking to informal and casual in the Caribbean would be the way to go.

What I find amusing is that a huge percentage of those posters who are sticklers for the rules on the dress code are also so quick to break the rules by smuggling booze on board. Rather hypocritical don't you think.

No more hypocritical than the huge percentage of those who choose to ignore the dress code and at the same time are amongst the loudest to complain about their fellow passengers who choose to ignore other "rules" like smoking in non-smoking areas, hogging chairs, smuggling booze onboard...

Archived