to the Brits ...please help me understand

latitude 22

It seems that I have read many posts over the years that because of the exchange rate you pay much more than we (meaning those of us in the states) do and this is an ongoing frustration for you and has been used to rationalize all sorts of other things...(won't get into that here)

I stumbled across a website for a British based agency that begins with a G..that is advertising the Grand on July 4th 599 pounds for an inside.

the currency conversion would be 1,191.80. without taxes.

this is 323.00 dollars less than the lowest base fare I am finding using a variety of competitive options, including my high volumed agency and princess direct....

are your taxes that much higher?

if this is a fluke and it is quite a bit of savings, do you know if I can book with them in the UK?

Really, I'm just trying to find the best deal and 323.00 USD is alot of money I can deposit into the economy of the ports we visit.

Thanks!

Hi Princess has just dropped its prices for sailings out of Southampton, appears not enough of you over there what to come over here, so Princess cuts the prices to us to to you, so we fill the ships up.

It crusie the Carbi, because it is cheaper for me than cruising the med.

But have booked a cruise on the Grand this summer because the prices have been cut.

If the site you are talking about has LL in it should be OK to book.

yours Shogun

this is 323.00 dollars less than the lowest base fare I am finding using a variety of competitive options, including my high volumed agency and princess direct....

are your taxes that much higher?

if this is a fluke and it is quite a bit of savings, do you know if I can book with them in the UK?

In general, we don't pay more for our cruises either because of the exchange rate or because of taxes. There is no tax on travel, so that is not a significant element against us. There is a small amount of the extra cost which goes towards paying for the higher levels of consumer regulation and protection in the UK, but it doesn't account for that much.

Mostly, we pay more simply because Princess quotes us higher prices, and then prevents us from getting access to the lower prices in the US market by prohibiting US travel agents from accepting bookings from UK residents.

To put it another way, we are just shamelessly ripped-off here.

But there are times when UK market pricing is lower than US market pricing. On the last Princess cruise that I went on, the best price that I could get in the US was about 10% more than an easily-obtainable UK market price, so I booked in the UK. And the same happened for my next Princess cruise.

So it's not really a fluke, but it's relatively unusual. If it works for you, go for it!

So it's not really a fluke, but it's relatively unusual. If it works for you, go for it!

This is it precisely - nothing to do with exchange rates, not in the UK at least, simply Princess extracting the most they can from each individual market, and of course preventing access to cheaper markets (which would be illegal in Europe). In the US, cruising is commonplace, the market is saturated, competition is fierce and prices have fallen. Cruising is fast catching-on in the UK, it is becoming more of a mass-market and ceasing to be perceived as "exclusive" and therefore less open to premium pricing. But that is a very recent phenomenon.

If I read my market economics correctly, prices may begin to equalise. The difference is less pronounced at the moment anyway because of the current, but probably temporary, weakness of the yankee dollar. And in any market condition, there will be occcasional flukes caused, perhaps, by difficulties in selling a particular product in a particular place.

I know you didn't want to bring it up, but Europeans are also educated in the ways of higher pricing - generally our labour markets are more restrictive, our benefit systems more generous, and taxes, wages, interest rates and prices are consequently much higher (in trend terms) than in the US. A consolation is that those who "serve" us (we don't tend to use words like "server", "help", "busboy" as these are considered deeply demeaning) are properly paid, and looked after when things go wrong for them. A number of us have tried explaining on this site therefore that it comes as a bit of a shock to still be paying these high wages, prices, taxes and interest rates (and overseas aid and charity donations which are enormously larger per capita than those coming from the US), but to then be told we must pay an effective tax of 10 - 20% on top AGAIN which you and others tell us are the "server's" wages and benefits. Thing is, you pay for these once, and get all the pleasure of flashing your wads, whilst we are arguably being asked to pay them 3 times through taxes, higher fares and tips, and being called cheap when we say "haw, wait a minute Jimmy!!". There are other arguments as well, chiefly about the demeaning nature of the tippping system which for us brings back dark memories of the Empire we are trying to forget we ever had, but that is the economic argument.

Hope that clears it up!!! The best thing would be for governments to accept the realities of the global market and the internet, and prohibit selective marketing policies (which, eg with AIDS medicine, is somewhat more serious in other spheres). With roughly equal (and therefore in our case much lower) prices, most Brits would instantly accept the tipping culture, although probably not quite to the same extent as in the US, where it has had many years to become ingrained.

You have to understand that the same people you see not tipping on cruise ships are the same people we see everyday making regular donations to charity from pay, raising ridiculous amounts of money on telethons, and actively voting for parties who say they will raise taxes to pay more overseas aid and cancel third world debt. It's not the done thing to talk about one's charitable donations in the UK, which is why folk don't tend to spell it out (or tip extravagantly in public - yuk). But I think that's why some of the threads got a little heated - fun though!!

I'll probably get slaughtered for this, and will instantly return to making childish one-liners instead!!

:)

I know you didn't want to bring it up, but Europeans are also educated in the ways of higher pricing - generally our labour markets are more restrictive, our benefit systems more generous, and taxes, wages, interest rates and prices are consequently much higher (in trend terms) than in the US. A consolation is that those who "serve" us (we don't tend to use words like "server", "help", "busboy" as these are considered deeply demeaning) are properly paid, and looked after when things go wrong for them. A number of us have tried explaining on this site therefore that it comes as a bit of a shock to still be paying these high wages, prices, taxes and interest rates (and overseas aid and charity donations which are enormously larger per capita than those coming from the US), but to then be told we must pay an effective tax of 10 - 20% on top AGAIN which you and others tell us are the "server's" wages and benefits. Thing is, you pay for these once, and get all the pleasure of flashing your wads, whilst we are arguably being asked to pay them 3 times through taxes, higher fares and tips, and being called cheap when we say "haw, wait a minute Jimmy!!". There are other arguments as well, chiefly about the demeaning nature of the tippping system which for us brings back dark memories of the Empire we are trying to forget we ever had, but that is the economic argument.

oh, happyscot...couldn't you have just given me a poem???? :D :D

Actually I do understand this very well. I have travelled throughout Europe extensively by land,

and have been shocked at times of how much I pay for certain items, but then I remember that this is because in many countries the education,

health and other systems are much better than ours. What I forget to do is STOP TIPPING. So, I tend to see a lot of smiles when I

hand over money to pay my restaurant bill or in a taxi!

Now, back to my cruise findings....do you think this is legit? and do you think I can book through a UK agency?

I couldn't tell on the site.

K.

I understand that Princess will not allow you to book through a UK agent, any more than they will allow us to book through a US agent.......of course this doesn't mean you can't do it ;)

To use a US agent we had to provide a US address. The Personaliser shows our permanent UK address, but for some reason Princess required a US address at the time of booking. Do you have anyone with a UK address that you could use for the booking? I am guessing you wouldn't have any problems then.

Just one other point - booking through the US and UK will mean you end up with two Captains' Circle numbers. This is not too much of a problem as you can visit the Captains' Circle desk on board and adjust your membership level so you are entitled to any perks you may have accrued. Alternatively when you return home you can have all your cruises linked to your primary number prior to any more cruises.

Hope this helps?

Hi Happyscott; I like your posts and have no "dog in this fight", but your statement about your per capita donations being higher in UK caused me to do some research. You may be correct that the money donated by your government is higher per person that US., but it appears that overall charity giving, we yanks do OK for ourselves. Here is just one quote that I found.

Ian Wilhelm, a reporter with the Chronicle of Philanthropy, a newspaper that focuses on the non-profit sector, says Americans are generous.

"We have a strong spirit of giving in the U.S," he says. "It's based on the idea of entrepreneur spirit of [Do It Yourself] and individualism.

"There's also a sense that we need to give money because the government is not necessarily the best way of giving back to the society or helping people," he adds. "I think that's one of the drives. Of course there's [also] religion. The latest study shows U.S. donation per capita is higher than the U.K., Germany, France, all lower than the U.S."

Bottom line, is that both GB and US do pretty well in helping our fellow man.

Fair winds

Dave

Hi Princess has just dropped its prices for sailings out of Southampton, appears not enough of you over there what to come over here, so Princess cuts the prices to us to to you, so we fill the ships up.

But have booked a cruise on the Grand this summer because the prices have been cut.

If the site you are talking about has LL in it should be OK to book.

yours Shogun

Yes, Shogun that is the site!

My brother has just found out about 10 days ago that his wedding in Rome, Italy is for July 22nd...

long story, consulate delays with paperwork...etc etc.

Anyway, we are looking for some deals in a cooler climate than Italy before the wedding since we will be paying between

1400-1800 USD to fly over to your neck of the woods from San Francisco. ...

The Grand's British Isles itinerary fits the timeframe perfectly, so does the Emerald but they are really pricing high!

And just for the record HappyScot I'm not letting my experience on the Sea stop me from this itinerary..

.I do believe that was a fluke!

Thanks again everyone...

Full payment is due this Friday for this cruise, hopefully the fares will take a nose dive on Monday!

And just for the record HappyScot I'm not letting my experience on the Sea stop me from this itinerary..

.I do believe that was a fluke!

Latitude:

You should be sailing past just a few miles from me. I am going to stand on the beach and hurl haggis, boiled potato in oil and baked beans at you.

Westwind:

Doing research and coming up with accurate figures is just not cricket old boy. Typical yankee underhand trick.

Have fun!

:D

Booked the cruise you mentioned on Saturday at a price of £599. Seemed a bargain and fit in with our other commitments this summer. Didn't have any yearnings at the moment to go anywhere in particular and fancied the cruise experience soon, so, although we live in England and have already visited some of the places, we will be able to do different trips so we are looking forward to it.

Latitude 22, this same cruise is available from the UK TA I use at £537 for a K,L&M cabin, or the bottom 3 obstructed view outside cabins at £626, think Save (the)n Sail, and you should find it. Hope you find a UK address if you need one.

Hi

just called my regular TA with a high volume agency and Princess...

neither will price match nor will any of the agencies on that competitive site......

still working on the UK address angle...

lowest price is 1699 USD with taxes for L guarantee, though I've found it on the competitive site for 1534 USD

hoping you guys don't gobble up all the space and then no further price drops for us..

Princess says the ship is only half full, so I'm thinking after this Friday when full payment is due there will lower prices....

Thanks for all your info!

K.

UGH!

I was just told by a Princess Customer Service Rep...

that rates are all about marketing and Oregon people might pay more than California people...

people in diffrent regions of California will pay diffrent amounts for the same cabin on the same sailing booked at the same time.

She says it's all about marketing...I said well that may have worked before the internet and people throughout the world didn't communicate.

I said don't you see this looks bad for Princess..

She says no I don't ...you're taking this wrong....

WHAT! I'm taking this wrong....

Anyway we don't price match...

ummmm let me tell you where you can take your marketing dollars...

why can't RCCL and Celebrity offer me free laundry...

why can't they offer me free internet minutes....

I'm the highest level with them too!

UGH ....

I think the phrase all you UK residents can say in unision is ....

now you know how we feel!!!

ugh ugh ugh

The best thing would be for governments to accept the realities of the global market and the internet, and prohibit selective marketing policies
I was just told by a Princess Customer Service Rep ...

that rates are all about marketing and Oregon people might pay more than California people ...

people in diffrent regions of California will pay diffrent amounts for the same cabin on the same sailing booked at the same time.

She says it's all about marketing ...

One funny thing about us Europeans: It's generally illegal for there to be selective marketing policies across the EU.

So never mind people in different parts of California paying different prices, or even Oregonians paying more than Californians. It's illegal for a company to offer one price to people living in the UK and a different price to people living in (say) Italy. It would be legal for the company's UK office to sell at a different price from the same company's Italian office, but each office must be prepared to take bookings from any EU resident without discriminating between them.

Well TerrierJohn, how depressing, I thought I had found a real bargain at £599 but now you tell me I could have got it for £547! However, it is still a lot cheaper than on the leaflet Princess sent me recently when it was £899. What I can't understand is that Princess have said the ship is only half full and yet when I booked I was told I would have to go on a waiting list for both first and second sittings so it sounded like it must be very full. Why do you think they won't let me book one of them now? Must admit I prefer the main dining room for meals. I will see what the confirmed booking says.

What I can't understand is that Princess have said the ship is only half full and yet when I booked I was told I would have to go on a waiting list for both first and second sittings so it sounded like it must be very full. Why do you think they won't let me book one of them now?
Maybe both sittings of traditional dining are full but the anytime option isn't?

This is it precisely - nothing to do with exchange rates, not in the UK at least, simply Princess extracting the most they can from each individual market, and of course preventing access to cheaper markets (which would be illegal in Europe). In the US, cruising is commonplace, the market is saturated, competition is fierce and prices have fallen. Cruising is fast catching-on in the UK, it is becoming more of a mass-market and ceasing to be perceived as "exclusive" and therefore less open to premium pricing. But that is a very recent phenomenon.

If I read my market economics correctly, prices may begin to equalise. The difference is less pronounced at the moment anyway because of the current, but probably temporary, weakness of the yankee dollar. And in any market condition, there will be occcasional flukes caused, perhaps, by difficulties in selling a particular product in a particular place.

Hope that clears it up!!! The best thing would be for governments to accept the realities of the global market and the internet, and prohibit selective marketing policies (which, eg with AIDS medicine, is somewhat more serious in other spheres). With roughly equal (and therefore in our case much lower) prices, most Brits would instantly accept the tipping culture, although probably not quite to the same extent as in the US, where it has had many years to become ingrained.

You have to understand that the same people you see not tipping on cruise ships are the same people we see everyday making regular donations to charity from pay, raising ridiculous amounts of money on telethons, and actively voting for parties who say they will raise taxes to pay more overseas aid and cancel third world debt. It's not the done thing to talk about one's charitable donations in the UK, which is why folk don't tend to spell it out (or tip extravagantly in public - yuk). But I think that's why some of the threads got a little heated - fun though!!

I'll probably get slaughtered for this, and will instantly return to making childish one-liners instead!!

:)

Though historic scholars may never truly establish the very first use of the word and practice of tipping, there is little doubt that England was the first country to popularize the convention, which came about as a byproduct of its highly divided class system.

Within English society from the 16th to late 19th century, wealthy nobles and house lords would often tip their subordinates with additional money or food after completing various tasks for them ;)

So, we colonials may have embraced it, but we certainly didnt create it.

The price differences, between the EU and the US, have to do with EU rules, that dont allow companies to have differential pricing. Which is why Princess wont sell a US cruise price in the UK, and vice-versa.

It can be got around, (My SIL is stationed in Italy, last year they booked a cruise, there, because it was cheaper. This year, I just got her docs, cuz they booked a cruise HERE, because it was cheaper). So, it isnt ALWAYS cheaper here.

The other thing is, I think a previous poster might be underestimating how much regulations in the EU add to the price. Not necessarily a bad thing, as they do come with real consumer protections we dont have here, and routine advertising here, would be considered "fraud" or "deception" there.

As we Americans know, the price in the ad is seldom the real,total price. That is much less true in the EU.

Hi

just called my regular TA with a high volume agency and Princess...

neither will price match nor will any of the agencies on that competitive site......

still working on the UK address angle...

I have bought articles using e-bay - the global community works (most of the time).

We all chat away (endlessly!:) ) about Princess so it is not beyond us all to help each other out and provide these addresses for each other.

I currently have a cruise booked and the address given is USA (I love my USA TA!) . However, once I have paid my final payment I will change my personalizer to my UK address (my work relocated me between booking and final payment ;) ).

So all we or you really need is an address in the USA (or UK) to get the best price.

I'm in the UK - I'm willing to help out:)

Archived