Radiance - First Time

We will be sailing on the Radiance of the Seas for the first time (not our first cruise, but first on the Radiance class of ship). We're booked in a balcony, Cat. E-3, Cabin 7136. Can anyone tell us about this cabin? Any info on the Radiance in general?

Also, we know there are 2 formal nites. We only want to dress up for one of them, and were wondering if we choose to eat in one of the alternative dining venues do we still have to dress formal on that nite?

Thanks for whatever input you can give us!!

Michele

Michuck....you're going to love the Radiance! So far it's my foavite ship, we also sailded the Brilliance, sister ship, but somehow I like the Radiance better, I think it was the decor. My favorite spot was the Solarium, at night we liked the Atrium for a nightcap. Anyway, about your cabin 7136 an E-3. You should know that you will have an obstruction-you will not be able to look straight down to the water because of the life boat overhang. You'll be able to only see straight out. If you have this cabin the overhang would be directly in front of your balcony. MHO would be to upgrade to E1 on decks 7 or 8. You won't be sorry. If you'd like I can email you a picture of this overhang.

As for alternative dining there is The Windjammer, Sea View Cafe-limited hours so can;'t say for sure if it would be open for dinner and room service. Also Chops or Portafino's are the speciality restaurants that charge $20.00 pp ...well worth it! It may suggest smart casual, there were men in dress slacks and nice shirts and women in sundresses, slacks and capri's outfits. It was a real treat to dine at the window and watch St. Thomas sail away....:)

Hope this helps!

Linda

michuck,

First piece of advice is that if Captain Kent is in charge don't miss any opportunity to see him.

As far as formal nights, it is expected that you will follow it in Chops/Portofino "On formal evenings onboard, formal attire is also appropriate in the restaurant; which includes suits and ties or tuxedos for men and cocktail dresses for women".

Windjammer, Seaview Cafe (probably only open until 6:30), room service or choose not to follow the dress suggestion and eat in the Dining Room/Chops/Portofino are the options..

• 4 years later...

My experience has been that the suggested attire for the specialty restaurants is always smart casual, even on formal nights. You may choose to dress formally and dine there, but it is not required. And I have been on this class of ship several times (7 total, Radiance, Serenade and Jewel).

We do not bring formal clothes so we eat in the alternate venues on those nights.

The lifeboats are actually on deck 6. They are not right outside your balcony, but below it and there is a cover running the length of them. That cover will be outside your balcony at floor level. Your view out is in no way obstructed. You just cannot look down and see the water against the side of the ship, if that is important to you.

Ah! That doesn't sound too bad. At least we can see out and it isn't obstructed. We needed that room to be next to my dad's cause his is a handicapped room. Those two worked out well so glad the life boat situation isn't too bad.

Thank you.

1-I love looking at maps and I like to study them before I get to the ship. I find the deck maps on-line to be too vague. Where can I get a detailed map, that shows tables, etc.

2-We are doing a cruisetour to Alaska (land based first), and we might need to wash muddy or dry wet clothes. Are there self-service laundry rooms...if so where located?

3-In the spa, are there showers with doors or curtains? How much is the daily spa visit to the "thermal suite"? Is it worth it? What is included? With other lines we have experienced: big bubbling pools, heated loungers, juice bar, showers that are larger than in the cabin, robes and plenty of towels. Does the Radiance offer those, too?

4-What is your favorite spot for viewing the scenery? Both indoors and outdoors.

We’ve had a cabin “over” the lifeboats and never considered it obstructed. We needed to see out and that was what we were able to do. Now if I stood at the balcony rail and wanted to see straight down to the side of the ship, I could not, but to be honest, I never do that in any balcony cabin, our eyes look OUT! The same situation is the case for many aft cabins.

We also had a radiance cabin on deck 7 with the slightly extended balcony. The portion between balconies is only waist high for the last 2 feet of the balcony. The balcony area closer to the cabin door is fully divided. Some have complained about the lack of privacy, but it did not matter to us. Even with fully divided balconies, anyone can look aver to your balcony anyway!

Enjoy the ship!

Archived