Princess cuts shore excursion prices

Smiles3usa

In Nov 2006 Princess charged $759 (double occupancy) and $1055 (single occupancy) for its overnight excursion to Cairo. Some folks on cruise critic, through their roll call, obtained a similiar independent excurision to Cairo for $210pp. Reviews were posted on both the Princess and independent excursions and it seemed that most were very happy with the independent excurions. Well, Princess has responded! This year, a mere 7 months later, Princess has dropped its price for the same excursion to $459/$525. Seems Princess realizes that charging folks 4 times the going rate was not going to make happy campers of those who took their excursions.

Thanks to those who posted their experiences, suppliers, and costs for shore excursions. While Princess shore excursion prices remain substantially higher than those that can be arranged independently, at least they have dropped from (what I consider) the predatory range to a more reasonable charge for those who want the security of Princess making all the arrangements.

In Nov 2006 Princess charged $759 (double occupancy) and $1055 (single occupancy) for its overnight excursion to Cairo. Some folks on cruise critic, through their roll call, obtained a similiar independent excurision to Cairo for $210pp. Reviews were posted on both the Princess and independent excursions and it seemed that most were very happy with the independent excurions. Well, Princess has responded! This year, a mere 7 months later, Princess has dropped its price for the same excursion to $459/$525. Seems Princess realizes that charging folks 4 times the going rate was not going to make happy campers of those who took their excursions.

Thanks to those who posted their experiences, suppliers, and costs for shore excursions. While Princess shore excursion prices remain substantially higher than those that can be arranged independently, at least they have dropped from (what I consider) the predatory range to a more reasonable charge for those who want the security of Princess making all the arrangements.

Hi neighbor and thanks for this information. DH and I are sailing the Star this fall and have been looking at this excursion. We know we'd feel better on a Princess excursion but were amazed at the price difference between their's and the independent overland tours. This is indeed great news!

Hi neighbor and thanks for this information. DH and I are sailing the Star this fall and have been looking at this excursion. We know we'd feel better on a Princess excursion but were amazed at the price difference between their's and the independent overland tours. This is indeed great news!

Sharon - are you booked on the November sailing? I am considering it but can't make a decision until this summer.

I am booked on the Royal in November 2007 - just looked again at the Cairo overnight and it is still $1099 for single. Hope this gets changed.

Pat

Hi Pat,

From the Princess website. Although this only states the month of October I hope it is not a 1 month reduction.

Grand Cairo Overnight - Double Accomodations

Tour ID: ALY-NA

Experience the essence of Egypt on an overland adventure. Visit the pyramids with an English-speakin...

Available: Oct 01, 2007 - Oct 31, 2007

More Information

Boat Ride; Dining; Entertainment; Motorcoach Ride; Ruins; Scenic Drive; Shopping; Sightseeing

Adult: $459

Child: $459

Thanks Bruce,

Think I'll call Princess - although they often don't have good answers!! The excursions for the Royal in Nov. were just put up - perhaps they haven't made the change. I'd much rather do this with Princess given the unstable situation there.

Pat

I am booked on the Royal in November 2007 - just looked again at the Cairo overnight and it is still $1099 for single. Hope this gets changed.

Pat

Interesting! The website indicates that Princess charges significantly different prices for the exact same shore excursion. If the excursion starts in Alexandria the prices listed on the website are 749 double/1109 single. If the excursion starts in Port Said the excursion prices are 459/525. The description for both of the excursions are exactly the same, but in reverse--since both have an overnight in Cairo and require the same transportation. It's one thing to pay a bit more for a Princess excursion versus an independent one; it's quite another to pay significantly more for the same Princess excursion. Maybe more people were willing and signed up early for the Princess excursion leaving Port Said, therefore Princess extracted as much money as they could from those folks.

Do note that these excursion are totally non-refundable once you sign up for them. I find it intolerable that Princess would exploit folks in this manner--and make no mistake about it, the charges for this excursion from Alexandria is exploitation in its purest form.

Sharon - are you booked on the November sailing? I am considering it but can't make a decision until this summer.

Hi Theresa,

Yes, Bruce and I booked this cruise back in September - how great if you could come along! I see you're doing a Russian River cruise, I can't wait to see those pictures! We are so excited...especially with this news of Princess' price drop. Think about riding camels along the Nile with us. ;)

Good for Princess, that is a much more reasonable price for the overnight.

Crusdiva ~ have you said hello on the roll call thread?

Coral ~ we have our fingers crossed you are booking!

Hi Cass,

Holy Cow - I just checked your your roll call, I haven't looked at it before because Bruce and I are sailing the Crown in 22 days :D and I can only concentrate on one cruise at a time! ;) Thanks for the invite. I see Toto is on that sailing as well, it's going to be so great meeting everyone. You guys are so active over there it will take me days to catch up...it's almost a shame it stopped raining in these parts or I could be alll caught up in no time.

Hi Cass,

Is this the one you are booked on? I am So Jealous :( This is one I would LOVE to do!!!!!!

Hugs,

Anne

Good for Princess, that is a much more reasonable price for the overnight.

Crusdiva ~ have you said hello on the roll call thread?

Coral ~ we have our fingers crossed you are booking!

Pat

We're booked too and I read all about the private tour that Andiamo! had booked last year. We were going to try the private one, but if Princess has reduced the price by $300/PP, perhaps we'll just stay with them. I'm going to email someone that took the Princess tour just to compare apples with apples.

Interesting! The website indicates that Princess charges significantly different prices for the exact same shore excursion. If the excursion starts in Alexandria the prices listed on the website are 749 double/1109 single. If the excursion starts in Port Said the excursion prices are 459/525. The description for both of the excursions are exactly the same, but in reverse--since both have an overnight in Cairo and require the same transportation. It's one thing to pay a bit more for a Princess excursion versus an independent one; it's quite another to pay significantly more for the same Princess excursion. Maybe more people were willing and signed up early for the Princess excursion leaving Port Said, therefore Princess extracted as much money as they could from those folks.

Do note that these excursion are totally non-refundable once you sign up for them. I find it intolerable that Princess would exploit folks in this manner--and make no mistake about it, the charges for this excursion from Alexandria is exploitation in its purest form.

I'm traveling with Pat and just checked My Princess > Cruise Personalizer > Shore Excursions and she's correct. The higher prices are still listed for our itinerary, leaving for the overnight from Port Said. There's no way I'm going to pay $1,099 for an overnight. I'd rather do two all-day tours. (I did the overnight several years ago.)

Archived