Vancouver Port/Bellingham Airport

shawn&angie

We sail out of the Vancouver port on Nov 2 and have been checking airfare. What are the thoughts on flying into the Bellingham Airport and transferring into Vancouver? The shuttle service at http://www.quickcoach.com said this transfer is about 3 hours. Worth it to save 300-400 dollars?

Any thoughts or advice is appreciated.

Shawn & Angie

Why are you flying into Bellingham? I think you would save more by flying to Seattle and taking the shuttle from there. Most flights into Bellingham go through Seattle anyway and you have to transfer there to a smaller plane. Maybe you have found a non stop to Bellingham?

We did Seattle to Vancouver. MUCH more cost efficient. Many ways to get to Vancouver from Seattle. Maybe even plan a ferry to Victoria which is just beautiful! A great vacation in itself.

I agree...why Bellingham?

Yes, Columbus Ohio to Saltlake City to Bellingham WA

This would be a much cheaper flight than everything else that's showing up. $357 before taxes, etc versus $537 per person of course, two people total.

We live in Huntington, WV and it's really hard to get flights out of here. Columbus is 3 hours away to begin with. I think there were some Charleston WV options open to Bellingham as well.

Just thinking about it right now, haven't booked our flight yet.

Why Bellingham? It keeps coming up as a cheaper flight alternative...

We sail out of the Vancouver port on Nov 2 and have been checking airfare. What are the thoughts on flying into the Bellingham Airport and transferring into Vancouver? The shuttle service at www.quickcoach.com said this transfer is about 3 hours. Worth it to save 300-400 dollars?

Any thoughts or advice is appreciated.

Shawn & Angie

I agree with others "why Bellingham"..I used to live there & have my oldest friend still there--& she doesn't even fly anywhere from there...I know at one time for our Alaska cruise I had thought to fly into Seattle (if I was booking my own air)--& it cost $130 from SEA to YVR..as B'ham airport is small--I wouldn't think you would gain anything by going thru there. (although there are several ferries that DO leave from Bellingham)

Instead of "why Bellingham"? It's my cheaper option to fly into the area based on several days of research. period. My question is "How easy or difficult is it to get from the Bellingham airport to Vancouver Ballantyne Port?" Looking for people that know the area well or have tried an option similar to this...

According to the QuickShuttle schedule, there is no service to Canada Place or Ballantyne Pier in November, because the majority of cruise ships have left for the season. It will drop you off at a downtown Vancouver hotel - if you do decide to do this, ask them to drop you off at the Pan Pacific, as it's right at Canada Place (the Mercury is scheduled to tie up at Canada Place on November 2nd).

You might want to call QuickShuttle to see if they'll be changing that for the Mercury on the 2nd. Also, I have a schedule that lists the Mercury as arriving that day at 6:30pm and departing at midnight, so you might want to check with Celebrity and see what time checkin will be.

If there is no border traffic you can get from Bellingham to Canada Place in a little over an hour....

If your fly into Sea Tac you have to deal with the I5 traffic to get out of the city and its over 3 hours to Canada Place....

That would be my reasons for flying into Bellingham instead of Sea Tac. I am not sure what type of ground transportation is available from Bellingham however.

Please allow extra time for border crossings, both Pacific and Blaine have construction going on.

It's true that most flights connect in Seattle, and that some are cheaper from Seattle, but charters like Allegiant have direct flights and I believe Delta flies in to Bellingham. Super idea instead of Vancouver if you can!

(I live near Vancouver and prefer Bellingham or Seatac - wayyyy cheaper!)

I have used the shuttle, but another thing to look at is a one way car rental to Vancouver. If you drive yourself it will be a third of the time the shuttle quoted!

Three hours- yikes:eek:

I haven't done a one way, but remember seeing a thread on here by someone who did a one way rental from Seattle to Vancouver.

That might work for you....

Here are some car rental at Bellingham airport...

http://www.bellingham.org/PDF/Car_Rentals.pdf

No it is not worth it.

First of all, I would STRONGLY suggest flying in a day early. The more connections you make, the higher the chance something can go wrong.

Second, I would fly into YVR. And I would fly from Charleston. I hate extended transfers, and you have to coordinate you arrival schedule with the shuttle.

Your best bet, dollar wise is to fly from Charleston into Seattle, and then take the shuttle.

NW is coming in around $384PP

Maybe even plan a ferry to Victoria which is just beautiful -- you would still have to take ANOTHER ferry from Victoria to Vancouver with all your luggage! Not a good plan money or time wise!!!

Bellingham is close to the border and if you are going on a shuttle, A LOT less time in the shuttle than if your came into Seattle. So, if the price is that much better and the shuttle is shorter, why not go into Bellingham? Do which ever will give you less stress!

It looks like the train leaves Bellingham at 9:45AM and arrives in Vancouver 2 hrs later. Came up at $26 for 2 adults. Taxi from airport to Amtrak station approx $15-20.

The Amtrak station in Vancouver would be approx $15-20 taxi from Ballantyne pier.

Our friends have flown Allegiant from Bellingham airport (to Vegas) many times and they think its great - much less crowded.

Hope this helps.

That sounded great, but too good to be true for us. My price was including multi-city roundtrip type airfare.

So basically this would be our trip.

Leave from Huntington or Charleston WV or Columbus OH, Cincinnati OH, Dayton OH or Lexington KY --> arrive in Vancouver, BC

Repositioning cruise...

Return from San Diego CA and return home.

That's what I've been playing around with a bit and where the Bellingham idea came up...I basically played with the Vancouver end and Bellingham came up. I love kayak.com

Do you think that airline prices will drop as it gets a little closer? Say into the three to six months out from Nov 2? I don't watch airline prices like I used so I guess I'm asking for the best timeframe before the flight to get the cheapest price.

Thank you for trying!

Although Bellingham is closer to Vancouver, Seattle has more incoming flights. If your flight is going to Seattle with a change of planes to Bellingham, think again. The planes are small and lots of flights get cancelled. It's less than 2 hours to drive to Bellingham from Seattle and sometimes it actually takes you longer to fly. If your flight is direct to Bellingham that's a better place to end up. Quick Shuttle leaves Sea-Tac (Seattle's Airport), stops at the Bellingham Airport and will take you to downtown Vancouver. From either city this is a great way to get to Vancouver. From downtown Vancouver to Ballantyne Pier is a short taxi ride. Here's the link to Quick Shuttle:

http://www.quickcoach.com/schedule.htm

Have a super cruise!

Fisherwoman

Kayak shows $378+ on Delta going Dayton to Van. Then SAN to Dayton. Fares are probably as cheap as they will be barring some national crisis. Also check the airline itself to see if they are the cheapest.

When I mentioned Victoria as a separate trip I didn't mean to accomplish it the same day. But a pre cruise day or 2 in Victoria would be a nice way to start your vacation. Just that when flying into the area, why not stop and see something you probably won't see again.

I agree totally that if you are planning on making all kinds of flight and shuttle plans, you should go a day early. Read some of the horror stories on these threads re missed connections and the stress trying to get to a ship on time. It happens.

Use sidestep.com

Fly in a day early on Nov 1st.

Fly into YVR

No, I would not expect the rates to drop as you are not flying a roundtrip (DAY-YVR-DAY).

I've never been able to get coast to coast on two open jaws for any less than the $380 range.

Don't bother with Cincy. That airport is known as a being a high priced sector.

NW and Delta are your best bets.

Archived