Stingray Excursion

spcl4cs_gal

Hi All .... If you haven't already, do take a couple of minutes to go to The Ports Of Call Section under Cayman Islands. There are at least four threads on NativeWay + many other threads on stingray excursions.

We've been on both Captain Marvin's and The Cockatoo Catamaran (ship's tour). Nothing at all wrong with Capt. Marvin's BUT we enjoyed The Cockatoo more because it was a sailing catamaran with lots of space to move around AND we had a MUCH BETTER anchor location.

spel4es_gal .... Don't worry! These stingrays are very tame and the water is so clear you don't actually have to go into the water to see them. On The Cockatoo the crew would lift stingrays up gently to be petted by those who did not wish to go into the water (about waist deep).

As long as you don't step on or badly mistreat, the worst thing that can happen is a "Stingray Hickie" which does not hurt and only last about two weeks (of course, you do have to explain it back home! :D

We've seen enough stingrays for this lifetime ... BUT something most will enjoy doing at least once! :cool:

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

Alison - dh and I are scheduled with Soto's in October, and I am a little leary too, BUT, I decided even if I stay on board, and not participate, it will still be fascintating to observe.

Marie

You have a point, Marie. I guess it's the word "sting" in their name that has me a bit worries...but I'm a big baby anyway, even with needles. :(

So OCruisers, are you saying that there are other companies that are better than Nativeway or just making suggestions?

Alison - I KNOW exactly what you mean...sometimes I almost pass out, just having blood drawn! Take the tour, and if you don't feel comfortable getting in the water with them, then don't...I still think you will be glad you went :).

Marie

I emailed Nativeway to see what their tour hours are...we are at GC until 6pm but you never know. Wonder what happens if the tour is booked through them and then cancelled due to weather? By the way, Nativeway appears to be $20 cheaper than HAL. :)

Marie, it's good to know that there are two needle babies on this board. :D

So OCruisers, are you saying that there are other companies that are better than Nativeway or just making suggestions?

spcl4cs_gal .... :o Good Grief! NO WAY! Gosh, we've only been on Captain Marvin's and The Cockatoo Catamaran so we have no idea about Nativeway. :o We ONLY have opinions on these TWO which we stated above.

Only suggested you might enjoy checking the Ports section under Cayman Islands because you are interested in Nativeway and have seen at least four threads on Nativeway there.

As "Jim & Ruth" suggested ... get a disposable underwater camera, go, and have fun! :cool:

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

Archived