Unlimited laundry package

newfarmers

Morning all

There is most likely somewhere I can find this on the HAL site but I've had no luck. We believe that HAL offers an unlimited laundry package but it's maybe only available on the world cruise (?). If it's available on other cruises does anyone know if it will be offered on our Three Continents (25 days Oct-Nov)? And if it is, what the cost would be, even approx?

Thanks in advance

pete and al

Hello Pete and AL-

No doubt it will be offered, but we found this last year that the price varied by length of trip and the ship.:rolleyes: Noordam's unlimited laundry price when broken down per day was much more expensive than the Volendam's.:confused: I have always found the laundry to be a bargain in terms of luxuries on a cruise and will generally opt for it.:D

New Farmers, I don't know what kind of laundry specials you will find on your cruise, but here is a link to a post that mentions a $75 unlimited laundry rate for an 11-day itinerary on the Noordam. The info is located in the third sentence. I think you can sign up for it at the Front Desk.

For those in the Deluxe Verandah or Penthouse Suites, laundry/pressing/dry cleaning is offered at no extra charge.

Karin

Last year we were on the Veendam for 35 days from Vancouver to Tampa via the Panama Canal and the Amazon. Usually we take the unlimited laundry package but this time it was around $180 or so for the cruise.

Instead we took the fill as much as you can laundry bag package at $12 a bag, which was also offered. We did this every 3 or 4 days and this worked out to be at least half the cost of the unlimited laundry package.

Jennie

We were on Westerdam for 15 days in late 2005. The cost then was $95.

We fully utilised the service and left the ship with complete sets of clean and pressed clothes. It was well worth the money.

Steve.

We managed to fit into each bag chinos, shorts, t shirts, a tuxedo shirt, ladies shirts and gents normal shirts for evening. We just stuffed it all in. We always washed our underwear, though I sent out the pajamas and nighties.

It was amazing how much you could fit into a bag. Actually Grumpy put me on to using the $12 bag as we had always taken the unlimited laundry special. We found we ended up sending the bag every 3 or 4 days.

Jennie

We will be on Rotterdam for 39 days - family of 4 with 2 young teenagers. Any suggestions re laundry?

Thank you

Jennie - "the other Aussie gal" LOL

Jennie,

It depends on how much you want to spend on laundry in your budget and how much time you want to waste using the laundry facilities. We always travel with the notion that we are on a holiday and therefore we will not spend anytime doing what we would do at home and that is washing!! We have always had the laundry done for us when we are on a ship and it is great to leave the ship with clean clothes. Usually we spend another week or so touring before coming home, so we need those clean clothes.

Jennie

Jennie,

It depends on how much you want to spend on laundry in your budget and how much time you want to waste using the laundry facilities. We always travel with the notion that we are on a holiday and therefore we will not spend anytime doing what we would do at home and that is washing!! We have always had the laundry done for us when we are on a ship and it is great to leave the ship with clean clothes. Usually we spend another week or so touring before coming home, so we need those clean clothes.

Jennie

Oh I couldn't agree more. I certainly do not plan to spend any time in the laundry. I think that the $12 bag sounds like the best deal but just wondered if there were other hints that I had not thought about.

I'm not Australian:), but I can't sleep (it's the wee hours of the morning here), and so I'm visiting my favorite place.

If you read the link in my post #3 above, you will read that the $12 price for a bag of laundry has been doubled to $24 per bag. I haven't been on a HAL ship for almost four months now:eek: , so I can't offer any recent first hand info, but you may want to assess the laundry pricing when you board and see what packages are available.

Karin

It was $25 a bag. They did not offer a bag special (probably due to the large number of families on board)

The bag is quite small- but I was able to stuff a lot in!

Unlimited laundry was offered- I believe it was $70 (11 day cruise)

Thanks everyone. It's nice to see that when others can't sleep they hit Cruise Critic too. Now I don't feel so bad. LOL. Don't worry about not being Australian Middle-aged Mom, we can't all be blessed. LOL again!

Jennie

Thanks all

I'm thinking we just wait until we get onboard and work it out then.

Aussie gal - couldn't agree more, why wash when we're on holiday. Maybe jocks and socks if we run out between bag fills LOL! Only problem for both of us coming from Oz is luggage limits (20kg each) heading to Europe (damn Qantas!!, should have flown Thai and it would have been 30kg each).

So for nearly five weeks away in total we'll be making use of the 'fill a bag' quite a bit me thinks - maybe use the laundries for jocks and socks if we run out between bag fills LOL!

thanks again

pete and al

Karin,

Sorry you are unable to sleep! Join the Club, I well know the feeling. I am wondering if HAL charge one price for a bag if you are on a longer cruise than when you are on a shorter cruise.

I know that if it had been $25 a bag on our 35 day cruise, they probably would not have had any business in the commercial laundry.

In fact when we were up the Amazon and no-one was allowed to use the laundries, they offered a wonderful special for the unlimited laundry package. I forget what it was but it was for the entire week that the laundries were locked.

Jennie

I copied this from another thread posted this morning:

We embarked yesterday in NY. <snip> Laundry service is $25 per bag and NOT $12 per bag as described in the pre-boarding material. According to the front desk onboard Noordam it has been $25 for over a year.

I wonder if the Noordam charges more because it is a newer ship and therefore more "up market".

We were on the lovely Veendam in Sept/October and it was only $12 a bag then, that certainly wasn't a year ago, only 6 months.

Jennie

I wonder if the Noordam charges more because it is a newer ship and therefore more "up market".

I suspect it's because they can. There's fewer alternatives. When you were on the Veendam you may have decided that $25 was too much and you would rather use the self-service laundry, but $12 was all right with you.

On the Noordam there's no self-service laundry so the traffic will bear a higher fee. Captive audience, so to speak.

Morning all

There is most likely somewhere I can find this on the HAL site but I've had no luck. We believe that HAL offers an unlimited laundry package but it's maybe only available on the world cruise (?). If it's available on other cruises does anyone know if it will be offered on our Three Continents (25 days Oct-Nov)? And if it is, what the cost would be, even approx?

Thanks in advance

pete and al

would guess it will be and it is the best bargain in cruising. $12 last Dec on the Amsterdam, it is amazing how much you can get into those little bags. NMnita

Just had an email from Ships Services - laundry cost on the Zaandam is still $12 per bag with a 48 hour turnover or to use the onboard laundry it is $2 to wash $1 for detergent.

We leave May 9. At that cost mine will be done for me!

We leave on 26th for our Canadian Rockies pre cruise tour - only 2 more days and it will be happening!

We just returned from the Noordam on Saturday, and did the unlimited laundry. We could stuff an amazing amount of clothing in that little bag - and we are not small people by any means. It was worth every penny and then some. The turn around time was reasonable - we turned it in in the morning and had it back by the next evening. Everything came back neatly folded or pressed and on hangers.

One word of advice: Make sure you remove the little stickers that they put on to identify the clothes. My DH found out the hard way that those can be quite itchy when left on underwear. I sure had a good laugh at his expense:D

Archived