Choice of Vancouver or Victoria for the day

IvesGrandmama

Vancouver is a beautiful city. But if you have never been to Victoria that is a must see. Buchart Gardens is one of the most unusual gardens around. My vote is for Victoria and the gardens. (Tea at the Empress is expensive. It was OK but if you have only one day use the time around Victoria.) One of the best chocolate shops around is in Victoria - Bernard Caulembert? Don't know about the spelling. Expensive but so good. Better than the other more commercial chocolate shop.

Bernard Callebaut is the chocolatier.

http://www.bernardcallebaut.com/users/folder.asp

Purdy's are also very good. They are made in Vancouver.

A day tour to Vancouver or Victoria would take at least 6 hours just getting there and back from Seattle. Not enough time in my estimation to do very much in either city. I agree Butchart gardens are spectacular. Victoria is a much smaller city than Vancouver.

sizewise, Victoria is much more manageable than Vancouver; the downtown area in Victoria is very walkable, Empress Hotel, Parliament, Totem Park. I would suggest you look for an all inclusive tour which would have sightseeing of Victoria itself and include a visit to Butchart Gardens. Suggest you check Gray Lines for both cities to see what they offer.:)

Being Canadian I would say hands down, Victoria! My favourite city in Canada.

Don't get me wrong. Vancouver is a very beautiful city too - a large metropolis along a bay alonside beautiful mountain scenery. However, Victoria, which is smaller and quainter, is just uncomparable. A very walkable downtown alongside the inner harbour which loves to be more British than Britain these days. Victoria is also easy to get to from Seattle as there is the daily Victoria Clipper catamaran service throughout the year making day trips very easy. If you leave early in the morning and back in the evening from Victoria it is more than manageable for a day trip. I've done it from either end twice.

Oh and the best chocolate shop in Victoria is Roger's Chocolates! You see there is disagreement on the subject already. But I do agree that even if you don't do tea at least get a chance to walk through the Empress Hotel. The Royal BC Museum and the BC Legislature Buildings are also nearby. Lots of shops too!

Now I wish I was going!

David

Archived