Queen Mary 2 - My Review

Jeanne S

It was mentioned that Celebrity would have dealt with the dining room behavior in a better manner.

Sorry to say this did not prove to be the case on our recent 7 day cruise on the Summit. This was our seventh Celebrity cruise and the first time that we encountered the dining room boar.

Our table consisted of myself, hubby, son and a lovely elderly couple from England. The table
of eight behind us was unruly and loud. Hooting, hollering, pounding on the table and loud, they made it impossible for us to hear the waiter or table conversation. Jokes being told loudly that were more suitable for very late night comedy act. I am not talking about normal laughing and friendly conversation.

We mentioned it to our Wine Stewart ( as she was having a hard time hearing our wine selections )who told the Maitre'd. He told the Wine Stewart to speak to them. She did and received a rude reply. The next night they were wilder and the Wine Stewart believed they were reacting to her "talk ". On the third night my husband had a talk with the Maitre'd. He did not seem to be motivated to do anything about it. Witness the fact that he had the Wine Stewart try to deal with it the first time, instead of addressing it himself.

The Maitre'd finally spoke to them on the next to last night, telling them that this was Celebrity and one didn't act that way in the dining room. By this time two other tables in our area had expressed complaints about that table. Everyone left the dining room that evening feeling that the matter was settled.

Oh how wrong we were to be proven. The last night we were eating when a huge noise filled the air. The elderly English lady beside me almost jumped straight up in the air. Later the gentleman at the next table told me that he thought she was going to faint. I thought someone had fallen down with a full tray of dishes.

At the table behind us, one of the men was lifting his chair sideways as well as up and down. The legs of the chair were slamming down on the floor with a bang. He was laughing and yelling. The rest of his tablemates were roaring with laughter. The people at the table next to us expressed amazement that the chair did not break under the repeated slams.

Hopefully this will be a one time experience. I would hate to see cruises held hostage to the bad behavior of a few people. We normally try to be mellow and tolerate of other people but this situation was a " bad scene ".

We cruise again in Dec. on Holland and are packing our ear plugs !

Yours was a good illustration of the theory that this sort of situation can be sorted out by complaints to dining room staff. I even believe that an approach to the captain would just result in it being sent down the line via the M'd to the waiting staff. It beggars belief that the guy in charge would delegate the task of talking to a table of red necks to a wine waiter. It's his dining room, he should have sorted it out.

David.

I wonder if the captain had been summoned if this would have been allowed to continue. Surely those in charge would not want an uprising from all the other tables in the area. If the Maitre'd can't take charge of his dining room I would go to someone higher in command.

A bad day at sea is better than a good day at work
26 cruises since 1964 -Proud member of O.A.T.C.

Queen Mary 2 Maiden Caribbean Voyage 1/31/2004
Zuiderdam 3/27/2004
Caribbean Princess 8/28/04

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;08;28;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]<center>

Carnival Miracle from Tampa 11/7/04
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;11;07;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]<center>
<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/logos/time98.gif[/img]</center>

ARTannen:

For cryin' out loud ... get a friggin' grip! I suppose it never occured to you that some people, even security guards, can get a little carried away with the authority of their position. True, they are there to protect ... Jeanne never said they weren't, but it's not uncommon for someone with authority to simply be a p**ck about it. They are there to stop the bad guys from doing bad things; stopping a passenger from taking photos as they are about to board doesn't fall in that category.

The term "N*zi" is used everyday to represent many different things in many different situations. She used the term, as most people do, not to be taken literally but rather tongue-in-cheek. And while I may or may not agree with everything she had to say, just like you, she certainly has the right to say it. Also, as far as her remarks causing folks to think twice about sailing on QM2, I think you under estimate our fellow C.C. members. I'm certain that no one is stupid enough to run out and cancel their plans because of something they read on an internet message board. If they do, well, that's their problem, not hers.

One last thing, she said she forgot the correct spelling of Capt. McNaught's surname; I'm not sure what your problem is in regards to the subject. I certainly don't find it offensive that she forgot the spelling of a name, especially when she said she did. Afterall, who are you, the Spelling N*zi?

Linerguy

QE2
QE2
Fantasy
Crown Princess
Costa Allegra
Viking Serenade
Oceanic
Star Odyssey
Seaward
Atlantic
Nordic Empress
Fantasy
Majesty of the Seas
Veendam
Century
Galaxy
Mercury
Norwegian Sea
Dolphin IV
Disney Wonder
Volendam
Carnival Destiny
Explorer of the Seas
Rhapsody of the Seas
Millennium
Norway 8/4
Majesty of the Seas 1/20/03
Norwegian Majesty 1/24/03
Queen Mary 2 4/22/04 Inaugural
Queen Mary 2 - 7/1/04

Yes, there are some who come to Cruise Critics with an 'ain't it awful' attitude. JeanneS has never demonstrated this characteristic.

Yes, there are some who come to Cruise Critics only to tear down others. Sometimes, they have to search to find something...like the captain's name. "What were those things in the middle of the table?" from one post on the QM2 maiden voyage.

It seems to me that JeannieS comments were what she experienced and had nothing to do with anything else.

40 cruises: mainly Cunard, Carnival, HAL, NCL, RCI, Starclipper, Seabourn. ~511 days total, ~325 on HAL

I am surprised over the dining room table incident. Unless it was "open sitting" I would hav expected the waiter or matre'd, or "someone" to say to those folks, "I'm sorry...but you're at the wrong table." And obviously, if the were in fact at the wrong table, who was sitting at the table they were assigned to?

Marco:

I could be wrong but, I think the offensive folks were suppose to be on early seating but instead watched the ship's departure from NYC and then decided to go to the dining room. When Jeanne arrived, they had already planted themselves firmly on their tushes and, well, that was that.

When we sail in three weeks, we're on early dining, mainly because we will have our 9 and 12 year olds with us. And we have to decide if we want to see the departure or head to the dining room. Whatever we decide, we will not head to dinner late into the first seating; it's simply rude.

Russ

Jeanne S.,

I shared your story with someone at Cunard, who was saddened to hear of it and suggested that you write the Guest Relations Department regarding your experience onboard. My Cunard friend said the letter should be addressed to Mr. Frank Sansone, Director of Guest Relations.

I don't know if you are up to pursuing it further, but I recommend that you do -- if only to see what happens, "clear the air" for the future, and re-affirm your rights as a Cunard customer (and an important customer at that, IMHO).

I don't think you need to do any more work; for example, you could just cut and paste your review and send it with a note expressing your disappointment...wanted to share it after writing it etc etc.

I hope you pursue it and, if you do, I hope you'll let us know the outcome.

You go, girl. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Crouton

My family will be sailing on the QM2 in June and I have a question about alerting the dining room staff if your party has decided to dine in one of the alternate venues (be it Todd English or one in the Kings Court)leaving your assigned table in the dining room empty for that meal. Is this information shared with dining staff when a reservation is made - or is it presumed when you do not arrive on time - thus allowing your empty table to be used by another party.

I just wonder if this is what could have possibly happened in this case -

Liz

If you do not show up within 15 minutes of the seating time they will go ahead and take the orders for the rest of the table, and assume that you are eating elsewhere.

A bad day at sea is better than a good day at work
26 cruises since 1964 -Proud member of O.A.T.C.

Queen Mary 2 Maiden Caribbean Voyage 1/31/2004
Zuiderdam 3/27/2004
Caribbean Princess 8/28/04

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;08;28;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]<center>

Carnival Miracle from Tampa 11/7/04
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;11;07;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]<center>
<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/logos/time98.gif[/img]</center>

I would be very interested to find out if there were any reprisals from this outrageous situation. Since we will be sailing from NY in November it would be nice to know if we will be eating next to the kitchen door because some bore decided he would rather eat late that day and commandeered our table.

Mr. Tannen:

Given you took the time to reply, I will reply to you. If you have ever watched Seinfeld, you would understand the reference. This was an employee of the pier who we met last year and was quite polite, but this time was transformed into a martinet. Being of German heritage.

I have lost many friends and acquaintances to the assault on our city and do not take this lightly. I have posted several times on this site how disturbing it is for me personally that this is a tourist attraction. Certainly Russ (Liner Guy) knows how I feel about 911. Yes, they were excited. I find no problem explaining to them that Deuschebank is to be taken down piece, by piece and commenting on the black tarp around it. On QE2 they used to given a running commentary of this on the PA and I was only re-stating this for people who really were interested in the PIT.

I wrote the PODS “appeared to be waves” and that it became a Kodak Moment to many, not that they were placed there for this purpose. We had not idea what they were and could only guess.

If you do not think that being placed at a table has anything to do with the fare your have paid, I have a bridge to sell you. I do admit that in Princess Grill on QE2 Andrew sits you where he pleases based on his idea of who would go best with whom – but not in a large dining the size of Britannia.

For merely repeating and describing bad behavior you take me to task for calling a person who blocks your way by flinging their body a brick house. Is it that you your self, miss no meals and it shows? Page Security – the staff was there and did nothing!

I stated that I was unsure how to spell the Captain’s name.

I spent many hours compiling this review (where is your detailed review) and I stated that it was a three-day cruise, and the passengers were not typical of a crossing. It seemed that many had never even been near a ship before. In no way was this intended to be compared to a crossing or longer cruise. Consider it for what it really was and do not attempt to compare those passengers to those on a Maiden Crossing who are for the most part quite traveled and sophisticated.

And in response to your second post, money is not the issue for me, indeed I tip quite generously. Perhaps you should go into the archives and read my first review on this forum, which was a love letter to Cunard about my experiences in Caronia Class on QE2. Reviews should be well balanced. If items are posted at a price, then they should sell at that price. As for the coffee, please! We got up at 5am and you take me to task for obtaining coffee, which was intended, for me the PASSENGER.

Thank you everyone for your reply and support. All I can say is please ARTANNEN let us know in advance when you are sailing.

The first night we dined with a family four who even though they had a little girl (eating at 9:25), and did request early seating, they were given late seating, which could not be changed on the first night.

So the second night, dinner was still delayed as the Maitre d’Hotel told us due to people still arriving at 7:30 or whenever they wanted to and/or drinking first before ordering – refusing to order promptly, then ordering one thing at a time. He told us there were more than a few passengers who took others seats and as he had never experienced anything like this on any ship or restaurant, was unprepared as to how to deal with it (he is a new Maitre d). He went around trying to placate “eruptions” as they occurred. We were just in shock by it all. He did say that things would be different on the Fourth of July Cruise. I told him on Carnival they tell you when the last orders can be taken and that is it. When we sailed to Canada on the Triumph with my family, my sister and I wanted to watch sailaway but were every careful to be downstairs for first order by 6:15. It bothered me that some passengers were comparing the behavior to Carnival passengers as we found those traveling with us to be some of the nicest, most polite passengers we’ve met yet.

Anyway, the second night we were expecting to find new table mates but not a full table. We were one of the last to arrive having stayed in QR to chat with Commodore. These people had been to the cocktail party (Lorraine remembers seeing them drinking up), and then went into the DR saw a table to there liking and just sat there.

CROUTON:

I have spoken to Frank Sansone (and mentioned him in my review) in the past. He is a very nice gentleman. Thanks for your kind words.

Guernsey Guy:

Thanks. I tired you answer your questions about what type of passengers were one the ship. Hopefully this is not what you will ever encounter on a crossing – I really do not think so.

David (MUFI), lknick, Michael and everyone (I should have come on sooner to answer everyone’s comments, but just got off the Radisson Navigator and then got involved answering this un-gentleman) – thanks for everything you wrote. I am not soured on this ship at all; indeed, look forward to returning in the fall for 2 long cruises to Canada and the Caribbean, which I know will be different. However, I do miss single seating and may opt for Princess this time.

Kayany – Radisson caters to singles (the supplement was only $100!). They pamper you and the small ship experience is just wonderful as you meet and dine with the Cruise Director or Hotel Director, Golf Pro, Entertainers, Officers. We met a wonderful group of passengers and had the best time ever on a sailing. While Bermuda is not a crossing, it is British and one of the best places in my opinion to visit.

Jeanne

Marco:

The Maitre d' Hotel told us that the passengers who took our table had complained about their table several times, that he had changed it for them and it still was apparantely not to their liking. They were also fueled by alcohol I believe which was a contribting factor to their behavior.

One of the assistant Maitre D's pleaded with me not take make a scene - to just be seated elsewhere. This was again after 9pm and we just wanted to eat by then. It was only after being seated by the entrance to the kitchen and listening to the incessant pounding of the staff bolting by with their heavy laden trays that we started to get really annoyed. But then we went to the show and had a wonderful time. At breakfast the Maitre d' was most apologetic, however, I will write to Pam and Frank as was suggested. I also want to tell them what a beautiful ship she is, not just complain.

Phyliss and Joan:

Thanks for your kind words.

The Carribean sailing should be just fine. We are also going in November (6th) and are not concerned this behavior will repeat itself. What are your sailing dates?

Jeanne

HavetoCruise:

Am also from Staten Island. Have you been on the NCL Dawn by any chance.

Ernie:

I have been an admirer of your posts and thank you for your kind words.

Lknick

By all means wear your dress uniform (airforce?) and bring that Cadet Sword. I would wear my old uniform but would probably get many requests for assistance as I resemble the Comnmander of the Lido Restaurant on QE2.

and I know you have sailed on the old Rotteram. Probably brought one of those cars back with you!

SHIPPING OUT

There seemed to be more thatn a few newcomers. I do not want to get into another tiff with someone ungentlemanly, but someone mentioned RedNeck on this thread and they were not too far off the mark. There was also much heavy drinking, so much that I thought some one is going to fall overboard on this time.

Michael:

THanks again, you are always so nice, such a gentleman. I am relieved to hear about your cruise to nowhere as I am sailing on Carnival Legend for 2 night in October (but have sailed on this line beofre and liked it.

Jeanne

Thanks Michael. When are you sailing again. Have you ever been on Radisson Navigator? Just got of from Bermuda and I love everything about this ship (except Afternoon Tea) - it was wonderful and they have a single supplement as low as $100. It is all suite and the service is tops. You dine with the staff, socialize with them. The cruise director and his wife were down the hall from us and we spoke each day, then had dinner together. The entire staff went out of their way to make us feel totally pampered. When I boarded that ship and was handed a glass of Verve Cliquot (attention Rotterdam)I was in heaven!

Jeanne

Hi Jeanne,
Well it appears there were TWO cruise critic get togethers in the Chart Room at Noon. There were about 10 or 11 of us at the entrance across from the Sir Samuels WIne Bar. We kept wondering where YOU were. In fact, I circulated in the room saying "Cruise Critics, Cruise Critics" (Got a few strange looks) but I did end up in finding the people from the Midwest (she had just had her wisdom teeth taken out). Also found "Love to Jump" who was there with her MOM and Sue from Norwood, PA.
Sorry we missed you. Also, sorry to hear about your experiences. I was also on the Maiden Westbound (with Shipping Out) and the people were wonderful. ON the 3 nt. we dined each night in a different alternate and we did not have any of the situations you encountered and had lovely dinners. I'm sure your November cruise will be different
Bon voyage

Yes, Jeannie, I did bring a car back...a Mercedes 220SD...total cost [as I recall] was US$ 2,200.

Those were the days...the mark at 4.2 per dollar and no EU rules that all cheese had to be made from pasterized milk.

As to my military, started out in the signal corp attached first to the marines and then the army, went to the academy and since I never liked mud, cold and people shooting at me, learned to drive airplanes.

40 cruises: mainly Cunard, Carnival, HAL, NCL, RCI, Starclipper, Seabourn. ~511 days total, ~325 on HAL

Jeanne.....I am sorry we were not able to meet. Thanks for the review and to everyone else, I have not even had a chance to compile my thoughts of this cruise yet. I will try to do so soon.

I will say that everything Jeanne has said is true. There seem to be little glitches in everything aboard this ship, but I think we all, including Jeanne, would agree that this is attributed to being new, and I could see where some staff have adjusted and service is wonderful, other staff is taking a little more time to adjust.

As far as the Brittania dining room, she is right on. We were fortunate to have been placed at a nice table on tier 3 along side some other wonderful people. However.....we noted some major mixups with some group seating near us that although it sounded as though the problem was originally with Cunard, after witnessing these people for three days, I would say that they were being extremely demanding. I would guess that some of this group could have been the people that took your table, as they seemed to be saying they were going to sit where they pleased as they thought that they were wronged.

The QM2 is a wonderful ship and the staff for the most part were also wonderful. I found it no problem to find everything I wanted to see in the three days, but again that is what I was there for, and part of the reason I chose the three day cruise to nowhere. I would not be distracted from taking in the wonders of this ship/modern liner.

ARTannen......You are way off base. As others said their mouth dropped open when reading of Jeanne's experience in the dining room, so did mine when I read your comments. I don't think I have ever read anything so rude and offending. You were not there. I was, and see nothing off base from what Jeanne has said. There were some people that apparently had not been taught any manners or common courtesy. I see no reason why Jeanne would purposely misprint someones name...especially when she remarked that she was unsure of it!!...come on now...(like Linerguy said)get a grip!!! I saw nowhere where Jeanne said she did not enjoy the trip, she is mearly making a clear puicture of some of the things that can or will happen. The hairdryers did stink..that is an observation, not a critisism. Mearly information for someone else planning on using the hairdryers to re-think packing their own. And to accuse someone you don't even know of trying to get a refund????? I think you need to learn how to present your objections better as not to look like the "QM2 review N*zi".

Sue
QM2 5/7/04...Mother's Day Cruise

Carnival Legend 10/21/03
Rotterdam 1970's

Thanks Sue:

We too were disappointed in not meeting up with you, but assumed that you were trying to experience everything that you possibly could on this wonderful ship. We never made it to the Connoisseur’s Club – I wish we had and will make this first for this fall.

Thank you for your kind and thoughtful post. I don’t know who was more obnoxious – this tiresome individual or the table vulgarians. Having been on this forum for over two years I do not recall this self appointed Cunard Expert posting previously.

Having read many posts about inadequate blow dryers on ships (yet found them fine); when I tired this one on QM2 I thought I’d better warn those who really prefer strong wattage. As for prices, I spent close to a grand on my shipboard account for only three days, but I still do not want to be overcharged as I work hard for the money I do have.

Thanks again for your post – good to hear from you again.

Jeanne

Cruisr:

Sorry to have missed you. Did the venue change from the Chart Room to Sir Samuel's? I had thought that we had agreed to meet in the the Chart Room as did Viv and Pam and that it was Sue from Norwood who had suggested the Chart Room. Unfortunately we were seated around the corner from the main drag/hall, all the way at the end (it was the only table we saw open for that would hold a group. We did not think to look in Sir Samuels (which I liked better than this Chart Room. NExt time I will search better.

That was a great idea, dining in a different alternative restaurant each evening. So you dined at the Asian and Chef Demo restaurants? How were they?

I have no doubt the next sailing will be different. I eventhink the 4th of July they wil be more prepared for short cruise to nowhere.

Jeanne

Archived