Voyager Class vs. Freedom Class Ships

We've been on all of the Voyager class ships except the Explorer (we love them :D ) and just booked a cruise on Freedom of the Seas. Are there any major differences between the Voyager and Freedom besides the addition of the H20 Zone and Flowrider?

For those of you who have been on both, which one do you like better?

We can't wait to see Freedom!

Freedom class has the catapolt (sp) hot tubs that hang over the side of the ship and they are awesome! Photo is overlooking Cozumel. There are a few more shops along the promenade. Cafe promenade at one end, and the pizza shop at the other (can't remember the name). We loved the Freedom. Never felt too big, and not crowded either.

1806991916_FreedomCruise2006-09-10093.jpg.7fa3b35a4c3ca4444da858e50aa885b9.jpg

Freedom class has the catapolt (sp) hot tubs that hang over the side of the ship and they are awesome! Photo is overlooking Cozumel. There are a few more shops along the promenade. Cafe promenade at one end, and the pizza shop at the other (can't remember the name). We loved the Freedom. Never felt too big, and not crowded either.

I think you mean cantilevered whirlpools. I'm pretty adventurous, but I don't think I'd want to try the catapult whirlpool! :eek:

There is also the addition of the Karaoke bar right outside the ice rink. Promenade was larger with the addition of Sorrentos Pizza, open till 3:00 am and serves Pizza and antipasto. There is a juice bar by the H20 zone, the balconies are larger than the balconies on Voyager class ship, but the rooms are slightly smaller.

We've been on all of the Voyager class ships except the Explorer (we love them :D ) and just booked a cruise on Freedom of the Seas. Are there any major differences between the Voyager and Freedom besides the addition of the H20 Zone and Flowrider?

For those of you who have been on both, which one do you like better?

We can't wait to see Freedom!

KruzeRcI-We've been on the AOS,Mariner,and last Thanksgiving,the Freedom..Freedom was awesome...those canti-levered hot tubs were AMAZING....just so pretty the whole ship...pool area bigger by 40%....Royal Promenade longer,more shops,prettier....Loved both the AOS,and MOS,but Freedom was a bit better ,IMO....you 'll love her...

Big Al

I've been on Voyager (1st cruise a few wks ago) and now am going on Freedom at the end of June.

I think another difference is that Voyager has the little TV screens on the treadmills and eliptical machines in the gym. At least I have heard that on another post here.

And flat screen TVs in the room (that swivel).

What about the boxing ring, I have never heard anyone mention it in a post or review, but I think they have one. What is it used for?

It has a Vintages wine bar, and I know not all of the Voyager class has that. And ditto re having both Chops and Portofino. Does it have a Jade also?

I think you mean cantilevered whirlpools. I'm pretty adventurous, but I don't think I'd want to try the catapult whirlpool! :eek:
ROTFL

Freedom Class catapult whirlpool specifications.

1. 15 minute cycle timer with 14 minute warning bell. (Get off now warning)

2. Automatic 14 minute wake Chumming system (attracts big sharks)

3. 5 G Launch system with chum slick targeting system.

4. 100 degree water and oil system for bait (Spelled Cruise Passengers)

5. Suite and C&A get priority passes for the Catapult Whirlpool

6 C & A Platinum and Up get assisted entry help from launch crew.

7. 100% satisfaction Guarantee or the Sharks money is fully refunded.

:D :D

The biggest and most important difference to me is that the FOS has fresh water pools. :D :D

How often did the FOS change out this water? If not every day like they do with the salt water, the oil load in the water makes it murky at best. Even the best filtration systems can be overloaded if you put to much sunscreen and body oils in the water. Changing it out and clorinating it seems like a more sanitary way to me........

How often did the FOS change out this water? If not every day like they do with the salt water, the oil load in the water makes it murky at best. Even the best filtration systems can be overloaded if you put to much sunscreen and body oils in the water. Changing it out and clorinating it seems like a more sanitary way to me........

Well, as you well know, I have never been on the FOS yet. But I would much rather deal with chlorine than with salt water. :)

There is also the addition of the Karaoke bar right outside the ice rink. Promenade was larger with the addition of Sorrentos Pizza, open till 3:00 am and serves Pizza and antipasto. There is a juice bar by the H20 zone, the balconies are larger than the balconies on Voyager class ship, but the rooms are slightly smaller.

I have noticed that when looking at the room sizes, the bigger the ship gets, the smaller the rooms get, compared to their smaller counterparts. Our room on the upcoming Radiance of the Seas, Superior Ocean View= 204 sq ft, compared to 178 or soemthing on the larger ships.

OK, I bought the Frommers 2007 Cruises and Ports of Call book last night. very nice detailed book, as it has a section on each ship on every cruise line and discusses general ambience and feel, service, cabins, public areas, dining, pool, fitness, sports areas in great detail and compares ships on each line, and the drafters of each ship have included some personal tidbits. I thikn it is good for comparing amenities across lines and even across individual ships.

It says Freedom also has a barber shop on the Promenade, which is more like a mini-man spa, as they offer packages (eg. $43 gets you a .5 hr. shave, hot towels, and deep cleansing exfoliation; $94 gets that plus a scalp, neck, face massage, deep pore cleansing mask, and hand and arm massage). There is also a bookstore on the PRomenade.

Re the boxing ring I mentioned previously- book says they offer one on one boxing training sessions w/experienced instructor using speed bags, jump ropes, heavy bags, and padded punching mits.

GWoodman, the junoir suite we have on freedom will be 287 sq ft w/101 sq ft balcony; on Voyager our JS was 277 sq ft w/69 sq ft balcony. I am impressed w/how much bigger the balcony will be on Freedom, didn't realize that til your post made me look at that.

Is there no inline skating track on the Freedom? I think I've finally got my DD convinced to try Freedom, but that may end up being a deal breaker. It was one of her favorite things on our recent sailing on the Mariner (never mind that she hated it the previous 2 sailings on the Mariner)

The OPs have listed the differences. As for me, I have sailed on both classes and wouldn't hesistate to sail either class again. They are not so different that one really takes the cake over the other, IMO. Then again, I don't have children, so the H2O Zone was just nice to look at for us, and I'm not physically able to go on the Flowrider, so that isn't a decided factor for us either. Both classes are laid out well, and had plenty to offer.

Archived