Tipping in Canada ?

We are spending two days in Canada prior to our cruise and was curious about tipping. What are the customary tipping "rates" in Canada, i.e. - taxis, restaurants, bell hops and room service etc? And do a lot of establishments include the tip on the check?

I always try to be PC when I visit other countries and try to follow local customs and traditions. I've observed too many "Ugly Americans" being rude and obnoxious in other countries - some even getting furious when the locals didn't speak english!

Tipping in Canada is basically the same as it is in the United States so you don't need to fret any further about it. Most establishments do not include the gratuities on the bill but definitely do add it just as you would back home. Only do so in Canadian dollars.:)

I sort of know what you mean about the latter part of your message. Its understandable that customs in different countries are not always understood and sometimes we might be doing something considered "not to be done" when we never meant to upset anyone.

Hey, there's obnoxious people everywhere. Thankfully, there are good ones everyone too. I believe in your philosophy, you go to someplace different and hope to learn something new from it.

Where are you staying? I am assuming its Vancouver too but it could also be Montreal. Whereever you sail out of you'll enjoy.

David

You're sweet to be concerned, but please don't overthink it. We're in North America too, and things are pretty much the same.

Just a quickie note, we have 1 and 2 dollar coins here. The smallest paper bill you can get is a 5. Might be easier to get a pocketful of 5 dollar bills for tipping porters, etc. instead of a heavy pocket of change.

Have a great time. :)

Well, here are the guidelines I generally follow for tipping here in Canada (I am Canadian and do lots of business travel within our beautiful country)

Restaurants - 15% - tips are generally not put on the bill - although some do add it to the bill if you are in a large party (usually 10 or more) and paying on one tab

Room Service - same as a restaurant although most hotels add the gratuity onto the price

Taxis - 10%

Bellmen/Porters - $1- $2 per bag

Enjoy your time here in Canada!!!

Thanx all for the info.

Bramcruiser - Our October cruise leaves from Montreal. We haven't decided where to stay but would like to stay in Old Montreal - any suggestions?

Chetsky, I would suggest you not stay in old Montreal. It's a bit on the expensive/touristy side and while it is fantasic, it's also easy to get to from downtown where the hotels are a bit less expensive. We usualy stay closer to downtown and then just take a cab or the metro into Old Mtl. There are LOTS of wonderful restaurants in Old Mtl.

Here's a site you might want to look at

http://www.tourisme-montreal.org/B2C/00/default.asp

Most Canadians speak English, though there are exceptions. For the most part it shouldn´t be a problem in major cities. Tipping is as in the US, though usually it´s about 15% on restaurant tabs.

I agree about not staying in Old Montreal. It´s expensive and cramped. Always depends on what you are looking for, but the port is relatively easy to reach. You have everything from moderate B&Bs to more expensive brand name hotels. There are a few more expensive boutique hotels as well.

• 10 months later...

I find that when I use CC to help plan a trip I tend to re visit the same threads. When a search (Canadian Tipping) takes me to a new one I like to say hello. Next month I will visit Victoria, Nanaimo, Prince Rupert and Vancouver. I have been to many parts of your beautiful country and am looking forward to another visit.

Preston

I love staying in Old Montreal and if the poster decides to stay there, the Ste Sulpice is nice. It's not quite as expensive as the other boutique hotels in the area and is right behind Notre Dame. For a real splurge meal, we love Pierre du Calvet in old Montreal. We also like the Montreal Hilton. This is the one that is on top of an office building next to the train station. Despite its busy location, it is surprisingly quiet and if it's a rainy day, you can access the underground path system and go everywhere.

Viv

i love staying in old montreal...3 weeks ago we stayed at the spring hill suites for the 4th or 5th time in 3 years....we used to stay at the Chateau Champlain (marriott) but tried the SHS and loved it....actually i get better meals and better bargains in old montreal but that's just my opinion!

and since the US dollar is so lousy, i would be sure to tip in Canadian funds....(of course when you got like 1.50 CDN for 1 USD that's what we used.....you can walk to the metro (about 4-5 blocks...downhill going, uphill back:eek: ) and get downtown in minutes......

Archived