Open ocean vs. Caribbean?

Princesstcase

My parents are thinking about taking a cruise this year (in Sept) but the problem is that my mom has severe motion sickness. She gets motion sickness on rides, in cars, airplanes, ferries, fishing boats.. you name it, she gets sick on it! So... trying to convince her that she won't get sick is hard to prove to her that she should try cruising. On my first cruise we left from Miami and went to the western Caribbean. If they went in Sept. it would be from the Port Canaveral/Tampa area... they are going to Disney World. My dad seems to think that if they left from Tampa, the water would be smoother and less rocky, but if they left from Port Canaveral, it would be rocky because there is no islands or land blocking the open water of the Atlantic. The cheapest cruises leave from Port C. so I just want to see what other people's opinions were who have left from that port. Is it really rocky?? No difference??

I know my parents would love cruising... I just gotta convince my mom she won't get sick. Oh and by the way, she has tried EVERY motion sickness medicine there is, including the wristbands, ginger caplets, oil that you put behind your ear, etc... nothing works!!

Grand Cayman, which is part of an itinerary that leaves from Tampa, is the most missed cruise port due to rough seas. It makes no difference where you cruise and it's a crapshoot as to bumpy seas. If your mom is easily motion sick, I have to be honest that cruising isn't for her. Even in relatively calm seas, there is movement. Cruise ships are on water, water is unstable no matter where you are. Plus, you're talking about the time of year when hurricanes are the most prevalent, September. With tropical storms and hurricanes in the Atlantic or Gulf, you're adding to the probability of bumpy seas.

How can you possibly believe your mom won't get sick on a cruise? I'm constantly amazed at the audacity of people who are fortunate enough not to have a problem with seasickness and their assumption that because the ship is large, or they don't feel the motion, someone with this problem won't have an issue!

If you don't know what you're talking about.................... Don't talk!

If she has problems in cars, planes, etc, she's more than likely going to have a problem on even the largest of cruise ships in the calmest seas. Don't push it. Cruising is not for everyone!

AS hard as this is for me to say: I am not sure she should cruise. Yes, the Caribbean would be a better bet than the wide open pacific or Atlantic ocean, but never can anyone assure another the sailing will be smooth. IF she really has tried everything including the patches behind the ear and still gets sick another type of vacation might be for her. NMnita

You have gotten some good advice. I just have to add that I love cruising and suffer from some minor motion sickness issues and nothing is worse than being sick and stuck in your cabin while on vacation. I take dramamine or bonine the entire trip but still end up not feeling well when things start rocking. Out of 5 cruises I have had motion sickness issues on 3 of them. I agree with the previous posters that a cruise may not be the best choice of vacation for your mom.

Archived