All Things Mariner Of The Seas

We have been on the Mariner 5 times in the past four years, most recently on the 3/23/2008 sailing. Obviously we like the ship & are sad to see her go. We have not read this entire thread, but will do so in time. In response to some of the questions on this page:

Wednesday is a great night to go to Chops or Portofino. We have done it on Wed. all 5 cruises. I did hear that the Wed. dining room menu was better this year, but cannot vouch for that since we were not there.

Loyalty Ambassador is indeed on deck six. If you take the aft elevator (the one nearest the Champagne bar, Boleros, Guest realtions, and the dining rooms) to deck six you pretty much step off the elevator into the LA's area. They seem to stay pretty busy! The new "Future Cruise" vouchers are great for a couple of reasons. First, you do not have to pick a specific ship, date, or destination while onboard; you can wait until you get home & do your research, shop for bargains, etc. Second, it speeds up the LA's process because they do not have to spend an extended amount of time with each guest going over all possibilities, although they will still do that if you want to.

Hump cabins are excellent. We heard about them on this board and gave it a try and now will not go unless we are on the "hump". On Mariner these are right at the aft elevators near the loyalty ambassador mentioned above. We have been on deck six each time right beside the LA's area. We have been on both port & starboard and both are great, but we tend to prefer port for some reason. We have been in 6618, 6620, and 6320 which are the fartherest out on the hump. They are much more private than the non-hump balconies. IMHO these are the best bargains for any bacony on the ship if you do not need a suite.

Tip: If you have a balcony, try ordering room service breakfast at least once. They put cards in your room that you fill in the night before & leave for your attendant, or you can call your order down, or you can even do it on the TV. If you order the night before you can indicate what time you want it delivered & you will get a phone call telling you that your breakfast is on the way. It makes a good wakeup call. You can sit on your balcony and enjoy the morning sunrise over the ocean. If it is a port day you will see the island as the ship approaches. The only issue is that there is no dining table out there as on Celebrity. The balcony table is very small & low, but we manage to make it through.

Tip for beer drinkers: On our March cruise we noticed that the beer prices at the pool bar were MUCH higher than in the past. On the second day we noticed that the prices at the inside bars were often lower. Apparently RCI has started pricing drinks based on demand with high demand areas being higher. This may also be true for other drinks, but we do not know since we are beer drinkers.

On the curfew issue: We did hear about the curfew and are not necessarily against it. We have a 15 yo daughter that is very social and really gets involved with the teen activities at Fuel, etc. They would often form groups that would just hang out & chat it up late into the night. A lot of times they would wind up at the Cafe Promenade for late night pizza and would be there past curfew. She said that no one bothered them as long as they were in a public area and were not being disruptive. Last August there was a big meteor shower that spanned a few nights of our cruise. Many of the teens went up to the very top sun deck and laid out watching the "natural fireworks display". They were up there very late, but a couple of the teen club hosts were out with them. We agree with the poster that said she would rather have her daughter in a public area than in someone elses room. Bottom line: if your teens are well behaved and sensible they can stay out a little past the curfew if they are with a group and are in a well lighted public area.

Tip for parents with teens: DECT phones. These are the best "secret" going for keeping up with your teenagers (or even spouses or other family members). They are essentially the same phone that the crew uses and only work on board the ship. They look like cell phones and they can call each other as well as ANY phone on the ship. You can call other cabins, call room service, the spa, ship security, or any other phone extension on the ship. Each phone has a 4 digit phone number that is labled on the phone. They are programmable with names, phone numbers, ring tones, etc. but we have never bothered with that. We get one for each of our kids (ages 15 & 20) and we can stay in touch all week long. We tend to be early risers (they are not!) and we can call their cabins from the pool without having to back to our room. They can also call us & locate us if needed. We can also call them in the evening and at night to check up on them no matter where they are. You can rent them at the guest relations desk for $25 for the entire cruise, but the supply is limited so do it as soon as you board.

That is all for now. If anyone found this helpful or annoying, please let me know.

Tip for parents with teens: DECT phones.

I did not know these were available! We traveled last year on NCL to celebrate our 25th anniversary and splurged on a suite. This type of phone was one of the suite perks. We traveled with another couple and it was great to be able to get in touch without having to go back to our rooms! We will be on the Mariner in just a few short weeks(:D) with our three sons, ages 16 - 21, and they will have their own room. Having these phones to be able to 'find' them will be great! I guess I now know what will be the FIRST thing we will do when we board...:)

Loyalty Ambassador is indeed on deck six. If you take the aft elevator (the one nearest the Champagne bar, Boleros, Guest realtions, and the dining rooms) to deck six you pretty much step off the elevator into the LA's area. They seem to stay pretty busy! The new "Future Cruise" vouchers are great for a couple of reasons. First, you do not have to pick a specific ship, date, or destination while onboard; you can wait until you get home & do your research, shop for bargains, etc. Second, it speeds up the LA's process because they do not have to spend an extended amount of time with each guest going over all possibilities, although they will still do that if you want to.

Tip for parents with teens: DECT phones. These are the best "secret" going for keeping up with your teenagers (or even spouses or other family members). They are essentially the same phone that the crew uses and only work on board the ship. They look like cell phones and they can call each other as well as ANY phone on the ship. You can call other cabins, call room service, the spa, ship security, or any other phone extension on the ship. Each phone has a 4 digit phone number that is labled on the phone. They are programmable with names, phone numbers, ring tones, etc. but we have never bothered with that. We get one for each of our kids (ages 15 & 20) and we can stay in touch all week long. We tend to be early risers (they are not!) and we can call their cabins from the pool without having to back to our room. They can also call us & locate us if needed. We can also call them in the evening and at night to check up on them no matter where they are. You can rent them at the guest relations desk for $25 for the entire cruise, but the supply is limited so do it as soon as you board.

Thanks for the info! I know I will enjoy Mariner when she comes my way next spring. :p

Hump Room is any of the balcony rooms in the area of the ship in the middle where the "bulge" is. And yes they are very good places to be.

Been on 2 trips on Mariner, same room, middle of the bulge #6622

mps

We'll be on Mariner June 22, in 7622. You were right below us in 6622, good spot on the hump? (this will be our first time there).

Are those DECT phones $25 each or for two? We would need 3 - 1 for each couple. Thanks for the info!!

Hi, they are $25 each. We always get 3 & never regret the $75 spent. It probably saves us 10 miles of walking;) and we have the comfort of always being able to reach our offspring. Whether they are a bargain for you depends on how much communicating you need to do.

DECT phones, how big are they--for some reason I am visualizing those huge miami vice things?? I'd rather walk 10 miles than lug an embarassing 3 lb phone! LOL -- but with 4 teenaged girls, I'm thinking it's well worth the ability to locate them all!

Katie

Does anyone have any pictures of the D2 cabins on deck eight? I've been searching over at webshots, but I haven't found anything yet.

The link below has a great set of room pictures, including D rooms. They aren't of any special deck but I believe a balcony D1,2 & 3 are all the same other than the layout being reverse (Beds being on aft or fore side.)

www.romain-moisescot.com/voyagerclass/index.html

hey jules815. we are almost neighbors. my DD and I are in room 7616. i hope they don't change it again. last year we were on this ship and were assigned a hump room on deck 7 but when we went to check in at the port we were reassigned another non hump room on deck 8. it was supposed to be an upgrade but don't know how.

We'll be on Mariner June 22, in 7622. You were right below us in 6622, good spot on the hump? (this will be our first time there).

We have been in 6618 & 6620. Deck six hump is great and I am sure that deck seven is also, just about 11 feet higher up ;)

In our humble opinion cabins XX18, XX20, and XX22 are the best cabins on Mariner location-wise. The first X being the deck and the second X being a 6 for port or a 3 for starboard.

DECT phones, how big are they--for some reason I am visualizing those huge miami vice things?? I'd rather walk 10 miles than lug an embarassing 3 lb phone! LOL -- but with 4 teenaged girls, I'm thinking it's well worth the ability to locate them all!

Katie

Katie, they are really not that big. I wish I had a photo for you, but I do not. They are not flip phones, they are the "bar" type. The link below is to a Nokia phone that is darn close to the size & configuration. The DECT phones do not have color screens.

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_2600-814.php

Here is some info on DECT Digital Enhanced Cordless Telecommunications (formerly Digital European Cordless Telephone) technology for anyone that may be interested: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DECT

We are on deck 10 in a JS (1240). I haven't been able to tell by prior posts or photos if the deck will be completely covered? From the deck plans it looks as if it will. Just wondering if I'll get any sun on the deck or if it will be mostly shaded. (not that it really matters...)

Nothing new to add to this thread, other than we EMBARK IN 10 DAYS AND I'M SO EXCITED, (and overwhelmed with things to do!)

I agree with the overwhelmed part, we fly out tomorrow morning!:eek: Just printed boarding passes, laundry is going, no one is packed yet, not stressing:eek: Yes I am!! I better go pack!:D :p

You sail this weekend!!! :p

Our friends that are sailing with us are driving down to Florida (from Chicago) and have offered to take our luggage for us. They just decided to leave a day early, so I have to have everything packed and ready for them by Tuesday night. :eek: I know everything will get done...just freaking out a little bit here. I guess I should get the suit cases out of the basement today!

You sail this weekend!!! :p

Our friends that are sailing with us are driving down to Florida (from Chicago) and have offered to take our luggage for us. They just decided to leave a day early, so I have to have everything packed and ready for them by Tuesday night. :eek: I know everything will get done...just freaking out a little bit here. I guess I should get the suit cases out of the basement today!

At least you won't have to pay to check your bags. We are taking 4 bags between the 3 of us and I had to pay for the extra bag in order to print my boarding pass. It will be stressful getting everything ready by Tuesday but just think of how great it will be to walk off the plane and not have to wait for your bags.

Have a wonderful cruise! It is nice we all get to have one more cruise on the Mariner before it leaves Port Canaveral.:)

Bon Voyage to all that are sailing this weekend. I'm jealous cause we have to wait for Nov. if anyone gets a chance can you bring us back the new menus that should be in place. i know that there is an 8 day one, just want to really see where Mariner 7 day stands so we can book Chops and/or Portofino. Thanks

Have a great trip Ms Toad

DH and I are taking our first cruise ever on the Mariner -- sailing July 13th :D

I am beyond excited about the trip and I love hearing all of the wonderful things being said about the Mariner!

We're doing a 7 day cruise and I'm trying to figure out which night would be best for dinner at Chops? We were thinking of doing it on Wednesday night, but I wanted to hear other's opinions.

DH and I are taking our first cruise ever on the Mariner -- sailing July 13th :D

I am beyond excited about the trip and I love hearing all of the wonderful things being said about the Mariner!

We're doing a 7 day cruise and I'm trying to figure out which night would be best for dinner at Chops? We were thinking of doing it on Wednesday night, but I wanted to hear other's opinions.

Jenny-come join our roll call! We have a lot of fun things planned. :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=549238&page=54

Sailing July 13th also...and very excited. First RCCL cruise. Anyway, is there any way to find out which dining room we will be seated in prior to embarkation? Our info just says Main and 6:00. I know we won't know about table assignments, but it would be cool to know which of the three decks we will dine in.

Also, I thought that I remembered people saying that they boarded as early as 11:00. Is this normal, and can everyone board this early? Our ticket says to board at 12:30, but the earlier the better.

That's all I can think of for now. I didn't think I would be this excited; having been on five other cruise lines we always said that we would never cruise with RCCL, but hey we hope to be pleasantly surprised:)

Thanks

Archived