Your Most Memorable Cruise Moment!

A childhood dream of mine was to cruise after being addicted to the Love Boat as a child. So my most memorable experience was this:

Our first cruise....our honeymoon too! Walking around the Brilliance on embarkation day and looking out of all that glass over the ocean and seeing how beautiful Brilliance is and thinking....I am so happy - to be sharing this wonderful experience with a wonderful man whom I love more than anything.....:)

My DH's most memorable moment was when he tasted the cookies....Typical:mad: How love can fade!!!!!

Wow!! so many memories. A few of the most vivid of mine.

My lovely GF and I were on a cruise because her father had recently passed away and Linda really needed a chance to get away from everything for a short while. She was feeling quite low and grieving. One of our cruise rituals is to stand on our balcony on the last night and stare at the sky and quietly make a wish. This particular night we stood on the balcony and made our wishes and gave thanks. As we stood and stared out at the dark ocean, we saw movement off in the distance. As we watched, a small flock of six white birds came flying out of the darkness, flew directly to our balcony, flew in a circle no more than 5 feet from us, and then they flew off into the darkness. I turned to Linda and remarked that that was odd and I noticed she was crying. I asked what was wrong? She replied that "she had wished that her departed father Stanley would give her a sign that he was okay". She said that she knew that the birds were sent by Stanley to give her a message and answer her prayers. It was a very powerful and moving moment. I'll never forget that moment as long as I live.

I also have a fond memory of finding our way out onto the heliport on the AOS. It was late at night, the sky was beautiful, I was with my lovely GF. We were all alone. It was the perfect romantic moment. We lightly kissed, stared at the stars, held hands and marveled at how lucky we were. For just a moment, we owned the ship, the ocean, and the stars. It was one of those moments that makes you realize how blessed we really are.

Sailing out of St Thomas. Looking at a sunset that brought tears to my eyes. Knowing that it was sent just for me from loved ones departed. Priceless!

Standing on the balcony late at night staring at the ocean and stars. Seeing a light off to my left. I thought it was a landing light from an aircraft at first but we were 300 miles out. Watching as a HUGE meteor came screaming through a cloud spewing fire and smoke as it passed. Watching as it exploded somewhere off in the distance. That was QUITE memorable.

I love cruising. The memories are what it all about.

Let's have some fun today!:D

On the CC boards, there are members that have never cruised, but will soon...all the way to members that have gone on so many cruise adventures that they can not remember them all! All the rest of us, fall someplace in between.

What is your most memorable cruise moment, and why?

What a great story!! Oh, and Bill, BTW, I personally LOVED your NOTHING thread, but when i signed on to check it later in the day, it was GONE!!:D

My DH's most memorable moment was when he tasted the cookies....Typical:mad: How love can fade!!!!!

I have a very vivid memory of wondering 'what in the world did he eat?' while DH slept peacefully with horrible smells coming out of his rear. :eek:

This was the same cruise that he waited so patiently (but watched so carefully) for each new tray of deserts to be put out. When I told the nice pastry lady that my husband had been looking for her, she looked around & said "That one over there?" & knew exactly who! Lucky sweetie, he never gains an ounce.

Sorry to interrupt everyone's beautiful moments...these are some awesome stories!

Great stories. Keep them coming.

Mine has to be our second Windjammer cruise which was on the Fantome in February, 1998. This was Windjammer Barefoot's flagship at time time and would go down in Hurricane Mitch the following October. We'd reserved three years in advance since this was the cruise during a total solar eclipse.

We were stationed just off Montserrat for the eclipse, and it was glorious to look out across the sea at other ships and small boats. It was eerily quiet as the sky began to darken. And then the magic happened. Just as the sun went into total eclipse a big plume of smoke and ash spewed out of Montserrat. It is a moment I'll never forget.

WOW!!:) That must have been breathtaking!! One of life's special moments...thanks for sharing!!

Our first cruise has so many wonderful memories, but here' s one that stands out in my book. It was the first formal night and we were waiting in line to have our picture taken. My husband took off and came back with a single rose. After dinner, he told me we had to go back to the flower cart. It turns out that the guy who was working at the cart was engaged to our cabin steward. He took my flower and sold it to someone else and proceeded to make 2 flower arrangements, one for me and one for his fiance. Since we were going back to our room, he asked that we deliver it to her. The look on her face was priceless. She was so touched. It was fun to be part of that and everytime I saw the flowers in my room, it made me smile.

My lovely GF and I were on a cruise because her father had recently passed away and Linda really needed a chance to get away from everything for a short while. She was feeling quite low and grieving. One of our cruise rituals is to stand on our balcony on the last night and stare at the sky and quietly make a wish. This particular night we stood on the balcony and made our wishes and gave thanks. As we stood and stared out at the dark ocean, we saw movement off in the distance. As we watched, a small flock of six white birds came flying out of the darkness, flew directly to our balcony, flew in a circle no more than 5 feet from us, and then they flew off into the darkness. I turned to Linda and remarked that that was odd and I noticed she was crying. I asked what was wrong? She replied that "she had wished that her departed father Stanley would give her a sign that he was okay". She said that she knew that the birds were sent by Stanley to give her a message and answer her prayers. It was a very powerful and moving moment. I'll never forget that moment as long as I live...

WOW! That made the hair on the back of my neck stand up! The spirits of loved ones are never far from us. Thanks for sharing!

Bill

Well, there is *memorable good* and *memorable bad*......

There I was, July 18th, 2006, on the Crown Princess. I had now broken my own record: 7 days of cruising, but I hadn't disembarked in the morning for home, but had visited Cape Canaveral and the amazing Space Center. Still two more days to go, because this was my first nine day cruise.

NOT.

At about 2:30 P.M., I was minding my own business, in my cabin, making dinner plans with CC friends over the telephone. Suddenly, the ship listed (heeled, leaned, FELL) over on its side. It tilted, and tilted, and tilted, and tilted.........and just kept going. The sensation was that it just kept tilting......when was it going to stop? When would it right itself?

It felt like an eternity, although it was probably at most two minutes. Then it came back, and returned to an upright position.

Total pandemonium on board. People screaming, and crying, and calling out names of their friends and family. TVs on Princess ships are not bolted down, and they are mounted much higher than on RC ships. Many fell down, narrowly missing or grazing passengers. Bags, bathroom items, bottles, equipment, bar blenders, shelves of glasses, everything in shops, the pianos, gaming tables, slot machines - sliding or flying, depending on where they were on the ship. Water in pools emptying out, flowing down the staircases and elevator shafts...........

Quite memorable. Cruise terminated; ship back in Port Canaveral; everyone disembarks and goes home.

Want more? http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=381758

My very first cruise was on the Nordic Empress from New York to Bermuda, I remember watching the ocean water turn from brownish green to crystal blue, then pulling into Bermuda and seeing the little pink houses with the white roofs, a picture perfect scene. :D

Bill that is a great story...........

I guess my most memorable moment goes back to our first cruise on the old Nordic Prince.......while not much of a ship by today's standards.......we thought it was great at the time. 7 day cruise out of NY to Bermuda.......1987.......and it was our first time ever to NYC as well........

To this day I will never forget sailaway and cruising by the Statue of Liberty and then under the bridge as we left NY.........

If you have never sailed out of NY.......it is a must.........and while we have enjoyed each of our 13 cruises since.........there was just nothing quite like sailing out of NY late afternoon and leaving the NY harbor.

I'm a native Southerner who first visited NYC when I was 27 and instantly knew I wanted to live there. I got my chance and was lived in NYC for 3 years in the 1980s before returning South. I often rode the Staten Island Ferry just for the fun of it and remember being on the ferry one day as the QE2 was coming into port. It was thrilling.

I had long wanted to sail out of New York and got my chance last August when DH and I went out of NYC on the Norwegian Dawn. I honestly don't know which was more exciting: sailing out past the Statue of Liberty and under the Verazanno Narrows Bridge, sailing back into New York Harbor or the delight in DH's eyes as he spotted the very pier on the Brooklyn shore where he played as a boy.

April 22, 2002--my DD's wedding.

Of course, this question got me thinking of the largest sunset I've ever seen over the John Hancock Tower as we were departing Boston Harbor.

Then there was the lave flowing down the mountain in Hawaii.

I can't forget watching the rainbow over the Queen Mary 2 while we we departing Barbados on NCL Dawn.

Wow, this was a hard decision. Yeah, I'll stick with the wedding cruise.

My most memorable cruise moment: My wife and I were separated for 18 months. We could see that the friendship we had during our marriage, and during the separation, endured, and I was hoping that soon we'd eventually get back together.

I went ahead and booked our first cruise on the Grandeur out of Baltimore a couple of years ago. When I told her I booked a cruise to help celebrate us coming together again, she was excited but was yet unsure if she wanted to go.

I ordered a dozen roses to be in our cabin upon arrival without her knowing about it. Of course, she finally agreed to go on the cruise just a few weeks out. I was taking a big risk but felt it was worth it.

When we got into the cabin, she saw the roses. She just looked at me and we both started to cry, because we both knew we were coming back together again, and this time it was going to be for keeps.

We had a wonderful first cruise. Just seeing the look on her face upon seeing the roses was probably the most memorable part for me.

And of course, we are still together - booked our third cruise just a few months ago!

Well I would have to say that I remember every single day and moment of my first cruise ever on Monarch of the Seas (1992) when she was only a year old and sailed to the Caribbean from San Juan...I had to be coaxed to try cruising!!

Overall, that was the most memorable.

Each cruise since had wonderful highlights. Seeing Alaska is another awesome memory..and it was my favorite cruise ever!!

My most memorable cruise moment: My wife and I were separated for 18 months. We could see that the friendship we had during our marriage, and during the separation, endured, and I was hoping that soon we'd eventually get back together.

I went ahead and booked our first cruise on the Grandeur out of Baltimore a couple of years ago. When I told her I booked a cruise to help celebrate us coming together again, she was excited but was yet unsure if she wanted to go.

I ordered a dozen roses to be in our cabin upon arrival without her knowing about it. Of course, she finally agreed to go on the cruise just a few weeks out. I was taking a big risk but felt it was worth it.

When we got into the cabin, she saw the roses. She just looked at me and we both started to cry, because we both knew we were coming back together again, and this time it was going to be for keeps.

We had a wonderful first cruise. Just seeing the look on her face upon seeing the roses was probably the most memorable part for me.

And of course, we are still together - booked our third cruise just a few months ago!

Just goes to show, you do not have to be on a Mickey Mouse ship to feel the MAGIC!

Congrats on making everything work out!

Archived