First Time Cruiser - Cabin Selection

WM219

Hi All,

Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place. Just stumbled across the site and searched for a few minutes but couldn't find what I was looking for. My fiance' and I are planning the Aug 26 Freedom sailing out of Miami for our honeymoon. My agent is holding 2 cabins for me and I wanted some input before I confirm one tomorrow. One is a D2 (9662, I believe) on Deck 9, the other is an E1 aft (9706) also on Deck 9. I've heard a lot of people that like aft cabins, but I couldn't tell if the structure interfered with the view or not. I also can't really tell what the difference between an E1 (Deluxe Oceanview), and a D2 (Superior Oceanview) is? Anyone have any input?

Thanks!

Will

We are one of those people who love the aft.

I believe your E1 balcony is a bit larger at 74 sq ft but the room is a touch smaller than the D2. The d2's balcony is listed as 68 sq ft and the room at 189 as opposed to the E1 cabin at 177 sq ft.

The aft viw on Freedom is pretty darn good. We had 1400 deck 10 corner aft on Freedom last year. Its very quiet back there....good honeymoon spot....lol.

Space wise, you can hardly tell the difference at those sizes. Both are good choices, and like I said, we prefer the aft view. Very scenic and serene. My e mail is nycruisr@optonline.net Write us and I'll send you a sample aft view pic.

John

There is a very small size difference between the D2 and the E1... The D2 is 189 sq feet and the E1 is 177 sq feet.

I love aft cabins, the balconies are soooo much bigger than those of the cabins on the side of the ship and it is very peaceful to sit there and watch the wake. It's a longer walk to get back there, but that also means you don't have many people wandering past your cabin... only the other aft cabin pax.

Just so you are aware, 9706 does connect to the suite next door... I don't know how you feel about connecting cabins.

I found a couple of threads that may interest you...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=498160&highlight=9706

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=414072&highlight=9706

Have a great cruise! :)

Hi All,

Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place. Just stumbled across the site and searched for a few minutes but couldn't find what I was looking for. My fiance' and I are planning the Aug 26 Freedom sailing out of Miami for our honeymoon. My agent is holding 2 cabins for me and I wanted some input before I confirm one tomorrow. One is a D2 (9662, I believe) on Deck 9, the other is an E1 aft (9706) also on Deck 9. I've heard a lot of people that like aft cabins, but I couldn't tell if the structure interfered with the view or not. I also can't really tell what the difference between an E1 (Deluxe Oceanview), and a D2 (Superior Oceanview) is? Anyone have any input?

Thanks!

Will

Will, Congratulations on taking your first cruise. You have picked a great ship to do it on. Freedom is a lot of fun and as honeymooners you will have a good time. Don't forget to do the Love and Marriage and Quest while onboard. ;)

I personally have never had an aft room so I am not able to comment on that; however, I was just in a D1 (9330) on the Dec 03 sailing. D1's and D2's are very similar and I don't think you will notice much of a difference.

The main differences between the two rooms your TA has held for you is the 12 sq ft lost between the D2 and the E1 in the room and the 6 sq ft gained on the balcony between the E1 and the D2. Also, there is a LONG walk from the Elevators/stairs back to the Aft rooms. Some people have complained about soot on their aft balcony while others really like the view of watching where you have been while at sea.

Of the two that your TA has on hold for you, my personal choice would be the extra 12 sq ft in the room and to go with The D1 (9662).

You will probably hear lots of different opinions here some positive some negative. Ultimately, it is your vacation and do what you feel comfortable with.

I personally have never had an aft room so I am not able to comment on that; however, I was just in a D1 (9330) on the Dec 03 sailing. D1's and D2's are very similar and I don't think you will notice much of a difference.

The main differences between the two rooms your TA has held for you is the 12 sq ft lost between the D2 and the E1 in the room and the 6 sq ft gained on the balcony between the E1 and the D2. Also, there is a LONG walk from the Elevators/stairs back to the Aft rooms. Some people have complained about soot on their aft balcony while others really like the view of watching where you have been while at sea.

The balcony of the aft cabin is going to be a lot more than 6 sq feet bigger than the balcony on the side... The aft balconies are typically 2X to 3X the size of the side balconies.

Thanks for the replies! How much time do you typically spend on your balcony? I wouldn't be as concered with the cabin if this particular cruise didn't have 3 full days at sea. Also, it looked like the structure would impede the view from that stateroom, and there would be no way to look down to the water.

Just so you are aware, 9706 does connect to the suite next door... I don't know how you feel about connecting cabins.

I noticed that this was a connecting cabin. Does the door between the two cabins cut into closet, or vanity space?

After about five minutes, you won't even be aware of the metal beams. They will simply disappear from your conscious perception.

All you will notice (besides your new, wonderful wife) is the huge size of your balcony, the comfort of your loungers (which wouldn't have fit on your side balcony - you'd have two upright chairs and a tiny table), and the amazing view from the height of Deck 9 of the water behind the ship.

Take the aft cabin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the replies! How much time do you typically spend on your balcony? I wouldn't be as concered with the cabin if this particular cruise didn't have 3 full days at sea. Also, it looked like the structure would impede the view from that stateroom, and there would be no way to look down to the water.

Will, If I am in the room, I like to spend as much time on the balcony as possible. It is an awesome experience to be there watching the world go by as you are sailing from port to port. This is really an incredible sight at night when you can see other ships in the distance and the moon off the ocean.

The real question is how much time are you going to spend in your stateroom. There is so much to do on board you may not have time to be in your room.

After about five minutes, you won't even be aware of the metal beams. They will simply disappear from your conscious perception.

All you will notice (besides your new, wonderful wife) is the huge size of your balcony, the comfort of your loungers (which wouldn't have fit on your side balcony - you'd have two upright chairs and a tiny table), and the amazing view from the height of Deck 9 of the water behind the ship.

Take the aft cabin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mom is right about the upright chairs and the tiny table in the side rooms. They aren't very comfortable for lounging....

I enjoy the balcony the most:

During the initial sail away and entering and departing ports.

AM - It is nice to look out when you wake up, check out the weather for the day, and look at the view and different ships in port. We love to order coffee and room service for breakfast and enjoy it out on the balcony.

On a sea day, if you're looking for quiet, it's really nice to sit out on the balcony and read a book.

Before dinner, it's nice to enjoy a cocktail before dinner

I definitely like the idea of having the larger balcony. I only really have a couple of concerns about this cabin (9706):

1. I can't tell if the balcony has the standard sliding door or the single door with porthole.

2. I can't tell if the view from the balcony is going to be obstructed by the aft structure.

3. I'm curious about how the connecting door to the adjacent suite will affect room layout (less closet or vanity space?)

Does anyone have any experience or photos from 9706 or 9406?

Thank!

Will

Someone else mentioned that as well, but I was told by several people here that they had never been able to hear anything through the doors. They were a concern to me as far as the impact they would have on room layout. I didn't know if they cut into the closet or not.

There is a very small size difference between the D2 and the E1... The D2 is 189 sq feet and the E1 is 177 sq feet.

I love aft cabins, the balconies are soooo much bigger than those of the cabins on the side of the ship and it is very peaceful to sit there and watch the wake. It's a longer walk to get back there, but that also means you don't have many people wandering past your cabin... only the other aft cabin pax.

I found a couple of threads that may interest you...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=498160&highlight=9706

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=414072&highlight=9706

We are in 9056 and according to the page, room size is 204, is that correct, balcony 41 sq ft. Going out Oct 08 Hawaii RT out of San Diego.

We are in 9056 and according to the page, room size is 204, is that correct, balcony 41 sq ft. Going out Oct 08 Hawaii RT out of San Diego.

The room sizes do vary among the different classes of ships.... The OP is sailing on Freedom... If you are going to Hawaii, you must be on a Radiance Class ship...

On Freedom... a D catagory cabin is 189 sq feet and an E is 177 sq feet.

On Radiance... a D catagory is 204 sq feet and an E is 179 sq feet.

Someone else mentioned that as well, but I was told by several people here that they had never been able to hear anything through the doors. They were a concern to me as far as the impact they would have on room layout. I didn't know if they cut into the closet or not.

We had a connecting room once and didn't have a problem with sound traveling through... :) we did have a problem with smoke traveling through the connecting door, however :mad:

For whatever it's worth... Our connecting room was on Navigator and the connecting door was on the wall opposite the end of the bed, right next to the vanity... we didn't loose any vanity or closet space.

Archived