Upgrade question-wishful thinking

melsdt

Just curious, if someone books a guarantee stateroom and gets their room assignment, what is the likelihood of seeing the upgrade fairy beyond this? Has this ever happened to anyone? I usually book guarantees to save money, and they always assign my room fairly quickly within 2-3 weeks of booking.

We've booked guarantees several times and never had an upgrade. The last few times, we were not happy with what we were given, so we won't book a guarantee anymore.

What we prefer is to book our next cruise while we are on the present cruise. That way, we get on board cruise credits and a chance to pick a room of our own choosing from the categaory we want and what is available.

We had friends who booked a guarantee and were assigned an inside on deck 4. Then they boarded, and were given a key to a deck 9 balcony!!!! 1st time cruisers--ever!!!!

So, yes, it's possible. Is it likely????? Who knows!? There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the "upgrade" policy. We always book a JS, and we've never gotten upgraded--possibly because there is nothing left to upgrade to! Guarantees seem to get the 1st shot at an upgrade--good luck to you!

I am not a proponent of "guarantees".........so you need to know going in that if you are guaranteed an outside cabin.........of a certain grade or higher........that is what you will receive.

Yes......we have experienced an upgrade on several occasions........just before the year 2000 or 2001.

Since then..........we have not experienced an upgrade using a guarantee.

My suggestion would be to reserve the cabin that you want...........as the cruise lines today are booking something better than 90%............and some like the Monarch that we have our next cruise on...........is at 100%

Rick

We had 3 balcony guarantees last year on the Mariner. Once, we were upgraded to a JS.

This year, the guarantees were more money, so I picked a cabin. At the time I booked the lease expensive were the D3's on deck 6. I'm not that thrilled with it, but hubby and I make it work. Hopefully, something good will happen, this is Labor day cruise.

My next sailing on June 10th I was just happy to have price relief, so I have an inside on 9 midship. That should be fine. I am going with my girlfriend who is not a frequent cruiser, so I hope the upgrade fairy comes here for her benefit.

Thanks for the answers. I am pleased with the cabin I have been assigned, but I was just curious if such upgrades occur. I noticed there are many JS's left for our sailing, that is why I asked. All the balcony and oceanview are sold out. I saved 400 dollars a person with the guarantee balcony, so it worked well for me.

Archived