Switched From CCL to RCCL

Roller blading and Rock climbing are things I would not pay $1 extra for, much less boxing. I do think the new trend of outdoor theaters is very cool, and I would actually bowl if the ship I was on had lanes. I also do not care at all that Johnny Rockets is on RCCL, I can get better burgers at many places right down the street.

As a long time CCL hater (though I never actually sailed on them!!), I always bashed CCL. After my cruise on Liberty I am a big fan. One of the biggest reasons is the bedding, much better than the RCCI and Celebrity ships I've tried. I also found it very lively, with formal dinners that were fun AND formal.

As of the end of this month RCI now has the new bedding fleet wide so Carnival no longer has the advantage in that department.

What I find interesting is that many of the Carnival fans feel that when someone posts negative comments about Carnival it is considered bashing. Just because an individual did not care for a certain cruise line regardless of who it is does not make it bashing. It's called giving ones opinion.

Just my opinion, but I would definitely disagree with this! On Carnival, there was a grill where they were actually cooking the burgers, almost to order, while on RCI, there was a metal pan with the burgers just laying in it. Ick!

Absolutely. Sitting in a pan under a warmer in grease is disgusting. I like em right off the grill!

the new bedding on rci is wonderful- i wish we could afford to get mattresses like that at home- we might not ever get out of bed..........:)

Yes it was very nice, I am glad they caught up!

What I find interesting is that many of the Carnival fans feel that when someone posts negative comments about Carnival it is considered bashing. Just because an individual did not care for a certain cruise line regardless of who it is does not make it bashing. It's called giving ones opinion.

Not Carnival fans, rather all the lines fans. Let's not pretend that we have not see the posters run off and called trolls due the fact that they didn't like the RCI experience. This is not limited to the Carnival boards at all. I also don't think it is about "negative opinions", rather the the nasty personal comments. This board has *some* people that are fantastic at the condescending remarks, especially a couple that love to pass judgement on class... I wonder if they realize how silly they are comparing class(es) of people between two Mass Market lines. :rolleyes: I used to respond to those people, now I just laugh at em.. They have shown they are not worth the effort.

There will always be the upside and and the downside of both cruise lines - but I can tell you what would bug me the most.

For the most part on RCL everyone is paying the same price - but there are so many deals on carnival. The people in the cabin next to you could be paying a fraction of what you paid. That would drive me crazy.

The decor - from what I have seen is awful. Very loud and gaudy.

If the right itinerary came along I would sail Carnival - but that would be the only reason.

For the most part on RCL everyone is paying the same price - but there are so many deals on carnival. The people in the cabin next to you could be paying a fraction of what you paid. That would drive me crazy.

This is a bad thing? What if you were that person in the cabin paying the lower price?

Prices on RCI don't increase as it gets closer to the departure date?

I've heard of prices going up for some cruises and down for others as the departure date gets closer. So I'm guessing that the same thing (different prices for nearby cabins) happens on RCI too. I find it hard to believe that every cabin in a certain category in a certain area costs exactly the same! (Of course I could be wrong.) Also I've heard of resident discounts, where people in different states are offered deals at different times.

there are several factors that can effect the price paid for a cruise-

some are =

platinum balcony discount

diamond balcony discount

crown and anchor coupons

resident specials

over age 55 specials

cruise not selling well so discount offered for a time on certain cabins

use of rci visa points

happy hour specials

and there are probably others-

these above mentioned factors are for royal caribbean - don't know if carnival or other lines offer these types of things or not...........

there are several factors that can effect the price paid for a cruise-

some are =

platinum balcony discount

diamond balcony discount

crown and anchor coupons

resident specials

over age 55 specials

cruise not selling well so discount offered for a time on certain cabins

use of rci visa points

happy hour specials

and there are probably others-

these above mentioned factors are for royal caribbean - don't know if carnival or other lines offer these types of things or not...........

Exactly my point! I was responding to the statement "For the most part on RCL everyone is paying the same price " made by a previous poster. This just didn't sound right to me.

l have to say, l was a little irritated when l first learned l had to pay extra to dine at chops, BUT, after having dinner there on the brilliance on a med cruise, my feelings have changed. lt had to be one best dining experiences of my entire LIFE, and maybe the best steak l have ever had!

l cannot remember a better dining experience, anywhere, anyplace, anytime. Book it, enjoy it, you will not be sorry.

Eddie

l have to say, l was a little irritated when l first learned l had to pay extra to dine at chops, BUT, after having dinner there on the brilliance on a med cruise, my feelings have changed. lt had to be one best dining experiences of my entire LIFE, and maybe the best steak l have ever had!

l cannot remember a better dining experience, anywhere, anyplace, anytime. Book it, enjoy it, you will not be sorry.

Eddie

Years ago, the restaurants onboard were free, and they were always overcrowded and teeming with children. It was not pleasant. Don't get my wrong... I have five children... but it's hard to carry on a conversation with a kid jumping on the booth behind you pulling your hair. The surcharge has helped with the overload of people, so you can truly dine in peace.

~jubilee

Dress code is smart casual every night at the specialty restaurants. No, he doesn't have to wear a coat and tie there.

I have taken this as a quote from the RCI site. It describes smart casual---

There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are: Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

That to me means a jacket and tie is expected. I do have to say I have seen men without ties, but each time we have been there the men have worn jackets except for one man.

Katie

I, for one, am glad that not everyone wants to cruise on RCCL ships. It would make it awfully hard for me to book my cruises :D (and enjoy the FREE rock-climbing, etc.)

Well, it's not free; you paid for it in your cruise fare. And yes, you paid for that rock climbing! RCCL is so expensive b/c of the ice skating rinks, rock climbing, wave rider, etc. Someone is footing the bill for that and guess what...its the customer! :)

While none of the above appeal to me whatsoever, and it appals me to pay for it with the inflated cruise price, I would like to try RCCL b/c the hot room service menu, cabins overlooking the promenade, and new beautiful ships sound wonderful!

Well, I just booked by first RCI cruise and I am quite excited to see the difference. I don't think it will matter much just as long as I am on a ship on the sea. Bad day at sea is better than a good day at work!!!

Roller blading and Rock climbing are things I would not pay $1 extra for, much less boxing. I do think the new trend of outdoor theaters is very cool, and I would actually bowl if the ship I was on had lanes. I also do not care at all that Johnny Rockets is on RCCL, I can get better burgers at many places right down the street.

As a long time CCL hater (though I never actually sailed on them!!), I always bashed CCL. After my cruise on Liberty I am a big fan. One of the biggest reasons is the bedding, much better than the RCCI and Celebrity ships I've tried. I also found it very lively, with formal dinners that were fun AND formal.

Wow, you hate CCL though you've never tried them!

I think one undeniably good thing about CCL is that they pioneered the popularly priced cruise industry.

John in OH

1986 CCL Festivale

2002 Grand Princess

2004 Celebrity Galaxy

2005 Carribean Princess

2005 Saphire Princess

2006 Adventure of the Seas

2007 Voyager of the Seas

Archived