Just the Sistine Chapel

We are wondering if we are able to tour just the Sistine Chapel and St Peter’s Basilica – and not do the whole Vatican Museum Tour? Does anyone have any info on this? Is it possible? Thanks in advance for your comments/help!

Sherri

Many people have asked this question. No, it is not possible to "just" see the Sistine Chapel. You must purchase tickets for the Vatican museum tour and walk through a substantial portion of the museum to get to the chapel. That being said, you can certainly race through the rest of the museum.......

Of course, you will miss a great many of the treasures of the ancient world that were collected by the Popes over the years.

It's sort of like people who visit the Louvre and "just" want to see the Mona Lisa. There is a lot more on offer than (and much of it just as beautiful as) the Sistine Chapel ceiling.

The previous poster is correct except that about halfway through the museum tour, there will be a sign with an arrow that says Sistine Chapel... it's a short cut to the Chapel that will cut out the 2nd half of the museum tour. With so much to see, you could miss so keep an eye out for it or better yet, there attendants stationed as you file passed each room... ask one of them where the short cut is.

Based on what you have said, there is no reason to get a private guide although if you were doing an extensive tour of the Vatican I would recommend you have a guide. I have visited the Vatican twice, most recently last month when I was on a special tour of the Vatican Museum, including the Sistine Chapel at night. During the day, guides are not allowed to talk in the Sistine Chapel which is why I don't see you needing a guide. If you can, read ahead so that you know the history of teh Sistine Chapel as it will help you appreciate the magic of the chapels art.

Keith

I have visited the Vatican Museum twice, first as part of a tour of the city that included the Vatican, and most recently, on my own. I saw so much more of the Museum on my own than I did on a tour. I could go at my own pace, take time to stop and admire the art work, and was able to see parts of the Museum, like the not-to-be-missed Raphael Rooms, that I did not see on the tour. Audio narrations are available for rent at the start of the tour, if one is so inclined. I agree with a previous poster who recommended "boning up" on what you are going to see by reading--and taking with you during the visit--a good guidebook. For me, I found the "DK Eyewitness Guide to Rome" to be excellent.

We won't have much time to see the Vatican Museums but would like to see the Sistine Chapel. How much time would it take to walk through the museum to reach the Sistine Chapel if we didn't spend any time looking at the other parts of the museum?

Thanks.

It wouldn't take much time to get over there. The biggest challenge is getting into the musuem in the first place as the lines at the entrance can get long. Give yourself 30 minutes to get into the museum (could be less time or more depending on time of day, etc.) and say another 10 minutes to get over to the Sistine Chapel. Once in the Chapel, you likely would only be there a few minutes.

Keith

Based on what you have said, there is no reason to get a private guide although if you were doing an extensive tour of the Vatican I would recommend you have a guide. I have visited the Vatican twice, most recently last month when I was on a special tour of the Vatican Museum, including the Sistine Chapel at night. During the day, guides are not allowed to talk in the Sistine Chapel which is why I don't see you needing a guide. If you can, read ahead so that you know the history of teh Sistine Chapel as it will help you appreciate the magic of the chapels art.

Keith

Who offers a night tour?

Who offers a night tour?

Crystal Cruises offered a special evening tour. We toured the Vatican Museum beginning at 5:00 PM (the museum is closed to the general public before then) and we had a couple of hours which included the Sistine Chapel. There were about 20 of us there and the guide could talk to us in the Sistine Chapel and take as much time as was necessary there which is something that cannot be done in the daytime hours as they are not aloud to talk in the Sistine Chapel during the daytime hours.

Keith

Archived