What to do?

delkins23

I will be sailing on the Carnival Liberty on October the 21st. We are scheduled to stop at Key West which I have never been to. I have read that the beaches aren't that great but we would still like to at least stop at a beach for a couple of hours. We would like to have nice sand and at least half way decent water. What does everybody reccomend. There are so many decisions to make. Also what else would you recommend doing for the rest of our time at the Keys. We are there from 7-5 I think. :confused: We are both in our mid twenties and don't have tons of money to spend.

Ft. Zachary Taylor, at the end of Southard St., would meet your needs. If you have $30pp, take the Conch Tour on the Trolley, that way you can get on & off wherever you like. The Hemingway House, Southernmost Point & the Butterfly Conservatory are all inexpensive & delightful. I especially recommend the Butterfly Conservatory - as much time as you like for $10 and very unique. Have fun.

BTW, some cheap eats are BO Fishwagon for lunch (near the waterfront market), The Deli for lunch or breakfast (corner of Simonton & Truman), and the Waterfront Market (great sandwich and snack section closest to the water).

Fort Zachary Taylor State Park has the best, prettiest beach and water, but the "sand" isn't very good. It is mostly broken up coral or gravel or something. Also, Fort Zachary Taylor has an entrance fee, but you also get to tour the fort whch is interesting because of its Civil War history. It is quite a long walk to get out there to the park and back.

Dont know anything about the beaches, but Key West is just a fun town to walk around in. The southernmost point is a decent walk but i'm nearing 50 and had no trouble walking to it. I loved Key West and plan for my next cruise to stop there too.

Hi there,

We were recently in KW in April and we did an Eco-Kayaking tour with Lazy Dog Kayaking. It's a fun and really different thing to do in the Keys. I can't remember how much it cost...maybe $30 pp. We paddled among the mangrove trees and saw many beautiful birds and other sea life. It was a neat experience.

If you are really trying to watch your $$, but want to do something different like kayaking, one thought is to eat a big breakfast on board, so the kayaking, return to the ship have lunch and then go back into KW to walk around Duvall Street etc...you'd have time if the ship is there til 5. You'd save at least $30 on not eating lunch in port.

Happy planning!

Lynne

• 1 month later...
Thanks for the replies. I was wondering if anyone else had any thoughts?

There's a new excursion in Key West...an actual Yellow Submarine! I saw the sub in May when we visited our daughter who lives there. It really looks impressive. We went on the Atlantis Submarine in Aruba which was amazing. The one in Key West goes out to the coral reef and goes down 100 feet. I'm really looking forward to going on it next time we visit!

If you want more information there's a website. I think the website was set up before the excursions began because the only contact info is listed under 'Job Listings' - go to keywestsub dot com.

I will be sailing on the Carnival Liberty on October the 21st. We are scheduled to stop at Key West which I have never been to. I have read that the beaches aren't that great but we would still like to at least stop at a beach for a couple of hours. We would like to have nice sand and at least half way decent water. What does everybody reccomend. There are so many decisions to make. Also what else would you recommend doing for the rest of our time at the Keys. We are there from 7-5 I think. :confused: We are both in our mid twenties and don't have tons of money to spend.

Let me try someting...

1. Instead of a beach go here...Dante's (which used to be called Monte's)

As long as you buy a drink you can use the pool, and the food is good here. It's the last bar on the Key West Bight, on the other side of the Half-Shell raw Bar, and would take 10 minutes to walk there.

http://pjk.smugmug.com/photos/159448634-L.jpg

2. Go to the Duval Beach Club. This is at the southern end of Duval, 1.25 miles from your ship. For $5.00 you get the use of a chair and you can buy drinks from the bar, and I think you can also use the pool across the street at the Southernmost HOuse.

http://pjk.smugmug.com/photos/114263006-L.jpg

3. Go over to Fort Zachery Taylor. There is a beach there and places to buy soft drinks, etc, but no alcohol. I've never been but the shore in the water is filled with rocks.

4. Go over to the Pier House and sit at the beach-side bar and order a drink. You can't get a lounge chair or a towel, but as long as you are at the bar you can wade in the water. (You can try making winky-blinks at the towel "boy", Gregory. He's older than me but real nice) There is usully live music there.

http://pjk.smugmug.com/photos/159448780-L.jpg

5. Go to the "beach" at the very VERY northern end of Simonton. It's a very VERY small public beach where the kids go. It used to be called Bum's Beach, though. You'd have to BYO, and I can't find my photo. It's not bad but you need to bring towels.

Short of going to Higgs Beach, about 1.5 miles away or Smathers which is about 4 miles away but where they rent chairs etc. , there's not much else available.

Now...did you want to know where and how to get free drinks in Key West?

Pjk

My family and I are heading to Key West on cruise August 20, 2007. Besides seeing the Hemingway house and the southern most point. Anyone have any great suggestions for a husband and wife with 3 teens (16, 17, 18). I am also going to hit up the suggestions given by Paula Dean's boys on the Food Network channel (The Large Giraffe for Key lime pie on a stick, the Art of baking by Henrietta for coconut candy and the Conch Republic Seafood Company for lunch). WE only have 8 hours in port so not much time

My family and I are heading to Key West on cruise August 20, 2007. Besides seeing the Hemingway house and the southern most point. Anyone have any great suggestions for a husband and wife with 3 teens (16, 17, 18). I am also going to hit up the suggestions given by Paula Dean's boys on the Food Network channel (The Large Giraffe for Key lime pie on a stick, the Art of baking by Henrietta for coconut candy and the Conch Republic Seafood Company for lunch). WE only have 8 hours in port so not much time

With Teens, I would hit the trolley so you can see the most of the town, then head over to the Butterfly Museum, or Pirate Museum and the Aqauriaum. From there head on back towards Mallory Square and have lunch at Red fish Blue fish or cuban food at El Siboney.

If you will go to these websites, it will help you a great deal as to what to do and where to go including coupons. http://www.sunshinekeywest.com or http://www.keywestfun.org and to find out about the beaches, go to the following:

http://www.keywest.com/beaches.htm

Also there is a Chamber of Commerce right there at Mallory Square that can help with maps, information, books, coupons, etc.

ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Always

Shirley

an ol' conch

People...I want you to be very VERY careful about booking things, electric cars, scooters, etc. through SunshineRentals listed above.

While you are walking around Key West you will notice small, yellow dispensors, like the ones used for newspapers. Inside are free copies of the See Key West magazine which contains a great fold-out map of Key West and, on page 36, two coupons; one for a free drink at the Half Shell Raw Bar and one at Alonzo's Oyster Bar. They are good all day and you have to buy at least one appetizer, but if you go to Alonzo's from 4:00 - 7:00 their appetizers are 1/2 price, so with two coupons you can get two drinks and an lb. of peel-yer-own shrimp, e.g., for $6.00. Alonzo's service is slow but their food is good. It's a trade-off.

Pjk

• 3 years later...

Delkins23,

I won't be in key west until december 12, 2010 for my cruise, however here is what I have found, if you do book either of these let me know when you get back how they were.

Fury Ultimate Adventure http://www.furycat.com/key-west/specials.htm or

Smathers Beach Club which is said to import their white sand http://www.sunsetwatersports.info/Smathers_beach.html

Archived